Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I disagree, he's not doing well enough with his primary job of progressing us forward, his passing stats aren't good enough. Also we can't ignore how terrible his set pieces have been. That's before we get onto his poor defensive skills. 

I've no idea how he would get on in one of the 8 roles over the course of a season. He might be better as playing progressive passes and goals from outside the box if we had that key player in Central Midfield 6 position. 

I hope he signs a new contract as it will protect our asset and his value. Even if we sold hom this summer.

His set pieces have been good lol. One aspect of his play I can see he has actually improved over the years.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

9 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Bissouma caught on the ball tonight which led to Ronaldo scoring. If that was Douglas the pitchforks would be out!

You mean a player made a mistake? WHAT?! I thought it only happened to us! Outrageous. Wouldn't swap him for Hourihane after that!!!!! 

Spoiler

derp. you get the drift. 

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Not even being a smart a** but what is a Gerrard player?

I'm referring to the type of player for whom when the going gets tough, the tough get going. A player who leaves absolutely nothing out on the pitch and Luiz is none of those things. He has skills for sure but major doubts about his character and commitment. The sort of guy you would not want in the trenches alongside you. A player who plays for the name on the back of his shirt rather than the badge on the front. Do you want more ? 

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

I'm referring to the type of player for whom when the going gets tough, the tough get going. A player who leaves absolutely nothing out on the pitch and Luiz is none of those things. He has skills for sure but major doubts about his character and commitment. The sort of guy you would not want in the trenches alongside you. A player who plays for the name on the back of his shirt rather than the badge on the front. Do you want more ? 

I'm quite surprised, you had to explain that.

I thought is was so self explanatory.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Bissouma caught on the ball tonight which led to Ronaldo scoring. If that was Douglas the pitchforks would be out!

would I be so bold to suggest.....that a bit more time than one game, goes in to folks conclusions....or one mistake.

• Like 2

On 15/02/2022 at 11:55, meregreen said:

I’ve seen absolutely nothing to indicate this to be the case. He’s been pants for quite a long time now.

I find it quite intriguing how a player can divide opinion so contrastingly.

I actually agree with you fwiw.....but I do find the debate fascinating.

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

Amazingly you are actually describing Steven Gerrard the player. Hollywood balls, last minute 30 yard shots when losing 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul33 said:

Find one squad in the PL that is full of these players you describe. Then lets see where they reside. My guess is most teams will only have a limited number of players with these traits and most will probably be found in defence or in defensive areas. 

You talk about players you want in the trenches, those that play for the badge and not the name on the shirt. Your talking about a bygone era and not modern football where most the players are pussies and all about themselves and the next contract. All players play for themselves, just like Jack Grealish. 

You could also argue McGinn leaves it all on the pitch, but what is he producing with all the aggression and commitment that he shows. Sweet FA is the answer at the moment. So with all the will in the world having players that will go in the 'Trenches' as you put it guarantees absolutely nothing. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Find one squad in the PL that is full of these players you describe. Then lets see where they reside. My guess is most teams will only have a limited number of players with these traits and most will probably be found in defence or in defensive areas. 

You talk about players you want in the trenches, those that play for the badge and not the name on the shirt. Your talking about a bygone era and not modern football where most the players are pussies and all about themselves and the next contract. All players play for themselves, just like Jack Grealish. 

You could also argue McGinn leaves it all on the pitch, but what is he producing with all the aggression and commitment that he shows. Sweet FA is the answer at the moment. So with all the will in the world having players that will go in the 'Trenches' as you put it guarantees absolutely nothing. 

Yes I agree but you do need that bit of grit which Gerrard has alluded to and I dont think Luiz has that.  It will be interesting to see whether Gerrard sticks with him for the Watford game. 

Edited by PaulC

At his best Luis has been really good for us and is easily good enough for a top 10 PL team. Unfortunately, similar to lots of our players, his form is unbelievably inconsistent. He is 20% brilliant, 50% average and 30% absolutely awful. We should be able to get a decent amount for him in the summer and we should sell him. 

30 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

At his best Luis has been really good for us and is easily good enough for a top 10 PL team. Unfortunately, similar to lots of our players, his form is unbelievably inconsistent. He is 20% brilliant, 50% average and 30% absolutely awful. We should be able to get a decent amount for him in the summer and we should sell him. 

I don't think I've ever seen Luiz have an 'absolutely awful' game for us. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

You’re not looking hard enough. Re-watch the Newcastle or Leeds games. That should help.

He wasn't good in those games but he wasn't 'absolutely awful'. Have you only started watching us in the last couple of years or something? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

I don't think I've ever seen Luiz have an 'absolutely awful' game for us. 

I think its a case of fans seeing differents things of what we want him to do.

Only the manager, will know what he is being asked to do vs what he actually does.

If he goes in the summer, it could be assumed, the manager is not entirely happy, with what he gives.

The problem I have is, its not just him.....at present McGinn is offering very little too, in terms of controlling the midfield.....both imo are playing in roles not naturally suited to them.

I guess the debate will continue, while fans see different things.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He wasn't good in those games but he wasn't 'absolutely awful'. Have you only started watching us in the last couple of years or something? 

First game was the 1982 European Cup QF against Kiev. Seen some wonderful midfielders play for our club. Cowans, Mortimer, Houghton, Townsend, Draper, Boateng, Milner, Barry, Grayson (te he). Luis is miles off on a bad day but much closer on a good day. Sadly the good days are few and far between. I have always wanted him to succeed and believed that he could but my patience has just about eroded. 
He is a fairly valuable asset as we stand and he could of course go on to great things elsewhere but I just don’t see it happening for him here. I am firmly in the flog him and move on camp now. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

First game was the 1982 European Cup QF against Kiev. Seen some wonderful midfielders play for our club. Cowans, Mortimer, Houghton, Townsend, Draper, Boateng, Milner, Barry, Grayson (te he). Luis is miles off on a bad day but much closer on a good day. Sadly the good days are few and far between. I have always wanted him to succeed and believed that he could but my patience has just about eroded. 
He is a fairly valuable asset as we stand and he could of course go on to great things elsewhere but I just don’t see it happening for him here. I am firmly in the flog him and move on camp now. 

cowans would be a superstar in the modern era of football.  

• Like 2

On 16/02/2022 at 18:48, TRO said:

I find it quite intriguing how a player can divide opinion so contrastingly.

I actually agree with you fwiw.....but I do find the debate fascinating.

I have a feeling of his name was Fred Pleb... and he was Irish.... they would be less divisive. 👀

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I have a feeling of his name was Fred Pleb... and he was Irish.... they would be less divisive. 👀

That is obviously not true, players with fancy foreign names get criticized on here more than British players. Any player we sign from France is usually quickly slaughtered and not to mention fellow Brazilian Wesley

for the record that is not an Irish name :P 

• Like 1

Â