Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think this says it all.

With all due respect a raw 22 year old striker should not have bare the responsibility of being our main goal getter in the fight against relegation.

its an oversight I’m sure will be rectified in the coming transfer window.

UTV

9 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

This was in truth I one of his better games.

He actually controlled the ball and held defenders off.

I would like to see this from him more often.

Out of all villa starters. 

Last in touches

Last in passes

Last in pass completion. 

0 shots

0 dribbles past a defender 

The fact some think this was one of his better games (which it really wasn't) shows the low standards his performances have set. 

Edited by DCJonah

His heat map is the most damning indictment. 

He certainly shouldn't be burdened with leading our line, the club **** up massively not signing another forward. Smith also needs to be taking Wesley out of the firing line more as well. However from what I've seen over almost half a season now he does not look good enough to be a striker in a respectable top flight. 

He battles and he leads the line. He'll compete with Centrebacks and close people down all day. I don't think you can fault his workrate. He does the defensive part of being a forward really well, he's excellent at that, amongst the better forwards in this league - it's quite rare too, coaches spend hours trying to teach strikers that stuff. The forward bit though, the bit about getting efforts on goal, the stuff he does facing toward the goalkeeper - that bit needs a lot of work, and that bit's important, really, really important.

I thought he made a decent contribution to our victory today - as a first line of defence he stopped Norwich being able to play their game, he worked hard and for me didn't hide from that work or from the criticism he's faced - but I still don't think he had a shot on goal.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He battles and he leads the line. He'll compete with Centrebacks and close people down all day. I don't think you can fault his workrate. He does the defensive part of being a forward really well, he's excellent at that, amongst the better forwards in this league - it's quite rare too, coaches spend hours trying to teach strikers that stuff. The forward bit though, the bit about getting efforts on goal, the stuff he does facing toward the goalkeeper - that bit needs a lot of work, and that bit's important, really, really important.

I thought he made a decent contribution to our victory today - as a first line of defence he stopped Norwich being able to play their game, he worked hard and for me didn't hide from that work or from the criticism he's faced - but I still don't think he had a shot on goal.

I have defended him alot, but John 

Mcginn (when fit) could do his job up front chase the back line hol the ball up all of the above only difference is John would have a crack at goal, dont like bashing Wes but its not happening for him 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Which bit didn’t you get?

The idea that his performance was so good that there was no way villa fans could criticise it. 

If being the worst player in the team at passing and having no shots or dribbles qualifies as so good it can't be criticised then expectations have truly dropped to shocking levels. 

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

That's fair, but Wesley is still one of the biggest issues. Saying we have bigger issues doesn't not make him an issue or suddenly make his performances as striker not terrible.

He has been awful many games but I actually thought he was one our better players today mate.  I admit thats probably because the team was so poor but I think after today’s game he derseves a day off from the criticism he gets.  

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s funny how a neutral that watched the game with me today thinks Wesley did ok. Yet our own fans think he was shit...

It is not just about today though is it?

He needs to do a hell of a lot to convince me and a few decent touches against 45 yards from goal against Norwich isn't it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The idea that his performance was so good that there was no way villa fans could criticise it. 

If being the worst player in the team at passing and having no shots or dribbles qualifies as so good it can't be criticised then expectations have truly dropped to shocking levels. 

Yeah like I said that. I was actually thinking his performance was adequate for you to take a day off. I guess not. Our fans love a good moan. 

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

It is not just about today though is it?

He needs to do a hell of a lot to convince me and a few decent touches against 45 yards from goal against Norwich isn't it.

It’s not. He has been shit most the season. 

I was talking about today though. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

He has been awful many games but I actually thought he was one our better players today mate.  I admit thats probably because the team was so poor but I think after today’s game he derseves a day off from the criticism he gets.  

Again, that's fair. But it still wasn't very good, it was average imo.

The thing with Wes is that he really hasn't shown any semblance of a good performance in months. Whatever you want to say about El Ghazi, Trez, our defenders, midfielders or whatever, they've had one or two good performances since. Wes has been a consistent 3-4 out of 10 for 2 months now where he's played every game. So whilst I agree he might not be the worst performer on the pitch, no one on the first team is as consistently mediocre as him.

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeah like I said that. I was actually thinking his performance was adequate for you to take a day off. I guess not. Our fans love a good moan. 

You said he will never win over fans if today's performance got criticism. Which is ridiculous. Like I said no threat and the worst player on the pitch for us at keeping the ball. 

Worthy of criticism in my book

21 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

With all due respect a raw 22 year old striker should not have bare the responsibility of being our main goal getter in the fight against relegation.

its an oversight I’m sure will be rectified in the coming transfer window.

UTV

23*

Â