Racism Part two

Demitri_C

25 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Well, what's your concern? What's the worst-case scenario that you're worried about?

I’m not worried neither do I have a concern.   I’m just asking how many statues have to be pulled down before it’s done. What’s the criteria?

im really not looking for an argument here. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I am not for removing statues so how about creating a conversation. You remove them and you remove the crime. Its hidden, forgotten. Keep the statue and a plaque with nothing but the crimes. Create a conversation and a lesson that shouldn’t be repeated. 

To me having a statue up and on display is honouring somebody. So I think it's appropriate for some to be taken down. 

I kind of agree that it shouldn't be pulled down by a group of people "unlawfully", but I can also understand why sometimes that might be the only way.

I think putting statues that are taken down into a museum is a good way of keeping the history but not honouring that person.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Good point, and if you stick them in Museums they are just forgotten as how often do people go to museums. 

If someone has done something so bad that their statue needs to be removed from public display, then SOME people forgetting about them probably isn't the worst thing in the world. It's better than keeping it up in their honour.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tinker said:

Liverpool's town center is going to take one hell of a whack from the demolition ball. 

I don't think anyone has proposed demolishing buildings built on the proceeds of slavery

They could certainly do with renaming some of the streets. They could start with Penny Lane... (Slavery links btw not the flab four)

There actually was a plan to put plaques under the slavery connected street names announced earlier in the year but the pandemic has kind of got in the way so its been put back

Just now, bickster said:

More Blue Plaques and Grade 1 listed buildings than any city in the UK apart from London!

Even  if we exclude Beatle related ones :D ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just thinking if that’s the case where does it end with the removal of statues?

Here probably.

They struggled getting Colston down so I doubt they even get past the Goalkeeper.

The Statues of Easter Island | Travel | Smithsonian Magazine

• Haha 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Even  if we exclude Beatle related ones :D ? 

Only one is a Beatle one. There's one for the bloke that invented the goal net though. I used to live in that house

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Only one is a Beatle one. There's one for the bloke that invented the goal net though. I used to live in that house

You should take Wesley around there sometime show him what one looks like :)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Good point, and if you stick them in Museums they are just forgotten as how often do people go to museums. 

I'd say that's an indictment of people and not the usefulness of museums.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just read that Mahatma Gandhi’s statue in London was vandalised. Now he was a racist but he also did a lot (allegedly) in the struggle against British rule and oppression.  Did he deserve it?

Did you 'just read that'?

I call bollocks.

Â