Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Just now, TRO said:

Mentality, is hard to fix...I honestly thought SG would fix it, not to be....I really hope UE can

Tyrone, is one of the few, who has a bit of ,what I think is missing....but you need many in a group for the Mentality to grow.

I think we have bought too many players, short of it.

but lets see, if he can change it and change the culture.

I would give the captaincy back to Tyrone.

I would give it to Martinez.

Has won Copa America and is a great leader for Argentina.

I think it's a no brainer. With all due respect to Ty he hasn't achieved anything in the game.

7 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I would give it to Martinez.

Has won Copa America and is a great leader for Argentina.

I think it's a no brainer. With all due respect to Ty he hasn't achieved anything in the game.

I would favour and outfield player, to be amongst the battle and direct things.

and what has cash and Konsa achieved?....Ty is holding together a fragile back line, Young has an off day, and it falls apart.

I think despite a few brain farts, he has held Villas defence together, for quite some time.....that for me, with a few International caps,  is an achievement.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Sad to see Athletic writers pick their England squads, nobody selects Mings. Only one even mentions him (Michael Cox), who says he’s gone back to the 26 man Euros squad and left out anyone who’s not played enough or not played well enough since (Calvert Lewin, Sancho, Johnstone and Mings). What?! In what world has Maguire played ‘well enough’ since then but Mings hasn’t? Fair enough if you don’t want to pick him but don’t come up with ridiculous things like that!

Everyone will obsess over who has had a good couple of weeks, but Gareth Southgate’s squad should be similar to the one from 18 months ago, when England nearly won the European Championship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pinebro said:

From a selfish Villa point of view I would be delighted if no Villa players went to the World Cup.

Ditto. It's a mini pre-season and Emery needs all the time available to work with this rabble. None of them have played especially well anyway, so anybody missing out can't have any complaints.

4 hours ago, chappy said:

Sad to see Athletic writers pick their England squads, nobody selects Mings. Only one even mentions him (Michael Cox), who says he’s gone back to the 26 man Euros squad and left out anyone who’s not played enough or not played well enough since (Calvert Lewin, Sancho, Johnstone and Mings). What?! In what world has Maguire played ‘well enough’ since then but Mings hasn’t? Fair enough if you don’t want to pick him but don’t come up with ridiculous things like that!

behind the paywall so havent seen it but how many name ben white who is easily the best english CB right now?

my problem with going back to the euros and then saying keep it the same but drop who hasnt been good enough for me its like look at the euros and say if its not broken then dont fix it...but he did try and fix it and changed the CB set up and it was followed by conceding a lot more goals, including a record breakingly shit performance whilst finishing bottom of the nations league group...but now its considered not broken and we stick with it? the new defence is worse than it was 18 months ago, by a distance too

its madness

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

behind the paywall so havent seen it but how many name ben white who is easily the best english CB right now?

my problem with going back to the euros and then saying keep it the same but drop who hasnt been good enough for me its like look at the euros and say if its not broken then dont fix it...but he did try and fix it and changed the CB set up and it was followed by conceding a lot more goals, including a record breakingly shit performance whilst finishing bottom of the nations league group...but now its considered not broken and we stick with it? the new defence is worse than it was 18 months ago, by a distance too

its madness

Ben White has been playing Right Back all season so that’s Southgate’s excuse I imagine.

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

I hate this statement, and I hear it all the time, especially amongst ex-pro’s on talk sport. It’s cringeworthy.

Exactly what they were saying about why Grealish shouldn’t be picked for England.  ‘What’s he achieved in the game?’  How about you pick people on ability rather than achievement? Pick people on qualities rather than reputation.

Well, what has Harry Kane ‘achieved’? What did Le Tissier ‘achieve’? What did our very own Paul McGrath ‘achieve’? A league cup?

How do you measure ‘achievement’.  How does the number of trophies in the cabinet relate to how good a captain you are?

Coutinho has ‘achieved’ more than any other player in our squad.  Would you have him as captain? No? I didn’t think so.

I meant compared to Martinez.

Guy has played with Messi and led them to a Copa America title.

Who do you think the squad is gonna respect more? I think Emi.

Have no issues whatsoever if Mings gets his armband back but if it was up to me I'd give it to Emi.

Not saying this is racist, it just strikes me that Mings gets a disproportionate amount of media stick and attention compared to other England players. I find it troubling. It’s cheap and pathetic of Sky either way. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I meant compared to Martinez.

Guy has played with Messi and led them to a Copa America title.

Who do you think the squad is gonna respect more? I think Emi.

Have no issues whatsoever if Mings gets his armband back but if it was up to me I'd give it to Emi.

So we’re picking captains on who they’ve played with now? Fabio spent a whole load of time in the same squad as Ronaldo, can you tell me about his leadership qualities?

A captain needs to be a leader.  Emi has that in abundance.  I think he’d make a great captain. 

The number of appearances with Messi has nothing to do with my reasons for choosing

Martinez would be my choice.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TRO said:

I would favour and outfield player, to be amongst the battle and direct things.

and what has cash and Konsa achieved?....Ty is holding together a fragile back line, Young has an off day, and it falls apart.

I think despite a few brain farts, he has held Villas defence together, for quite some time.....that for me, with a few International caps,  is an achievement.

Our defence as been fragile, mentally and physically, for far, far too long. We need defenders who are prepared to leave it all out there.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Our defence as been fragile, mentally and physically, for far, far too long. We need defenders who are prepared to leave it all out there.

I couldn't possibly agree with you more, sheepy.....million %, spot on.

I sometimes, get tell tale signs, and when I see how many times, our centre backs fail to attack the ball with aggression, when we have a corner.....It prods me in to questioning their defending too.....Ty is ok at Defending in the air, but at the other end ,no threat at all....not in the same class as Allan Evans or Martin Laursen.....its not a good sign.

I am not convinced, that we as a team show aggression in aerial duels.....that then leads me on to question, their aggression, full stop......If you don't win your fair share of aerial balls, it gives the opposition, confidence.

In a football match, one side has to secure the initiative, I fear we surrender it, too easily.....its not one player, its become a culture.

I felt Ty was almost ready to say something after that, capitulation, but kept his counsel, just in time.

However, someone, has to start calling this capitulating out, for what it is..... we are just skipping over the surface, and in some cases in denial.

Managers can only take the horse to the water, they can't make them drink.

Newcastle initially had a similar problem to us, and changed their whole back line.....their front 6 now have a platform to play from, with confidence....I think Tyrone, is one of the last in our back line to worry about, but arguably, not perfect.

I would re-appoint him captain.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

Sheepy, we think alike on this.

Although we differ on choice of captain. I prefer a Mortimer type skipper. Someone who inspires his teammates by the sheer commitment and belief he brings on the pitch. That,  "we are never beaten attitude".

4 hours ago, Risso said:

Ditto. It's a mini pre-season and Emery needs all the time available to work with this rabble. None of them have played especially well anyway, so anybody missing out can't have any complaints.

you're so kind....but not all of them.

20 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

In most interviews he's always smiling, he looked totally fed up on the latest one. Can't blame him really, Southgate has shit on his England career for no good reason and he lost the captaincy for no good reason.

I'd be fed up too

I'm still sure it was mainly the fact we'd just been hammered 4-0

• Like 3

Â