Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I bet the owners aren’t looking at Brentford at all or at worst see them as the new Leeds/Sheff Utd…just not comparable!

I would be shocked if they weren't looking at Bees and every other team in the PL. But they will not be blinded by the fact that Bees have significantly improved since Dean left and that is on the back of selling Maupay, Ollie and Benrahma, there 3 best players for about 100m and replacing them with cheap alternatives

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I actually think someone like Hassenhuttl would do a good job here....but can understand why people would laugh at that given he's won about 3 games at Southampton since start of 2021.

Yep mate, that deserves a laugh 😂 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

If CP & NSWE believe Smith is the wrong man for the job they need to sack him. They can't be second guessing themselves about a potential replacement. Clubs change managers all the time and it is Purslow's job, with the help of others to ensure the get the right replacement. Saying we shouldn't sack Smith because we mightn't find better is complete BS. I am not saying sack Smith, I am saying if the time comes when Purslow believes he is not the right man for the job then he needs to go

I’d be surprised and disappointed if we sacked Dean without a replacement pretty much signed up. If they decide to shake his hand then a huge amount of preparation needs to be done. I’ve always said that well run clubs are always planning for the future and should constantly have a plan to replace senior positions, even if there is no plan to change you never know what might happen  and a replacement may be needed. 

All the evidence points at NSWE being ambitious and intelligent owners. The way they handled the Grealish situation, getting replacements in before he left would suggest that they will have a plan if and when they pull the trigger. They have showed plenty of patience to date and have largely been rewarded for it. Only time will tell. 

The passes and first touches were awful all round today. 

As was the decision making in when and where to clear to. 

Arsenal, for however soft they may be, will always be able to play a ball to feet and control it the other side.

We just could not do that today. Not.at.all

I always think the big test is who would be interested in a manager if he became available. Can anybody see another premier league team take an interest in Smith? It won’t happen. He will eventually get sacked by villa and then never manage in the PL again. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Honestly, i really want and hope Deano turns this around asap and we get back on the "top 10" road, as i think top 10 should have been our target this season, however, i think its going really, really badly wrong right now.

I know some are firing shots at the players, but in my humble opinion, we have a quality squad.

Martinez is a world class keeper, Mings is an England international, Konsa possibly should be, Cash and Targett were class last season on the whole, Luiz has ability, Buendia is nearly an Argentina international who had creativity stats in the PL only behind Grealish and De Bruyne in 19/20, Bailey is class, Ings is a top goalscorer, Watkins is a good player. McGinn plays like a different player for Scotland, Sanson is a quality player, yes we have some injuries, but thats life.

I know we have some weaknesses in the squad positionally, but if most or all of these players are tripping over themselves to fail, falling over the ball, making errors again and again, failing to pass 5 yards, tripping over their own shadows, punting long balls when we are one of the smaller teams, lose our cool at the slightest bit of adversity, implode and appear weak minded when we face an "aggressive team", panic spreading like wild fire.

Many teams in the PL would love to have quite a few of our players.

Im sorry, but if you look at the performance of the team, i dont see how we can point a finger at the players primarily, it has to be the coaching, tactics, badly set up formation etc, yes the players have a part in it, they need to show desire and effort, but if they are being told to punt the ball all the time, i dunno.......its not one or two underperforming, its most of them, are they all bad!?!?, i dont think they are as bad as they are showing.

I do think the recruitment hasn't helped. Its almost as though Smith has too many options on very similar ability players. Personally I would strip it back as close to last seasons 11 as possible - then see where the new additions can improve us. 

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

Seriously how can anybody defend Smith after that? He got the selection woefully wrong and then watched Arsenal take full advantage of that for fifty minutes without doing anything about it. Nothing! Nada! Sweet fa! He just watched. Even then he didn’t address the real elephant in the room and stuck with Ings and Watkins on the pitch at the same time. It really is laughable. Lovely man. Bloody average manager. He is done here.

dean got it wrong and im angry about it but i think in the end he will get this sorted just hope he changes and doesnt do a bruce.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Towards the end of the game, about the 88th minute, Luiz in space little further up than half way in our half, Bailey on the right wide open calls for the ball, Luiz under no pressure puts the 30 yard pass out for a throw in 

Brazilian international Douglas Luiz 

If you think that's on smiths coaching then me and you think they do different things in training 

I agree and the SJM pass that ended up ESR scoring for Arsenal…just what the hell.  Internationals passing like Sunday league footballers after a big night out.

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

I agree and the SJM pass that ended up ESR scoring for Arsenal…just what the hell.  Internationals passing like Sunday league footballers after a big night out.

the mid was too light simple we need to be stronger. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’d be surprised and disappointed if we sacked Dean without a replacement pretty much signed up. If they decide to shake his hand then a huge amount of preparation needs to be done. I’ve always said that well run clubs are always planning for the future and should constantly have a plan to replace senior positions, even if there is no plan to change you never know what might happen  and a replacement may be needed. 

All the evidence points at NSWE being ambitious and intelligent owners. The way they handled the Grealish situation, getting replacements in before he left would suggest that they will have a plan if and when they pull the trigger. They have showed plenty of patience to date and have largely been rewarded for it. Only time will tell. 

I agree. They won't sack him without having an idea of who will replace him, they will have a shortlist. And I would expect that regardless of whether Dena has us in 4th or 14th place. It is just good business practice. But Bruce was sacked before we has Dean lined up as manager so I think he will be gone IF they believe he is not the right man for the job

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I disagree. I cant imagine a replacement coach waiting in the wings having been primed by Purslow and co.  Its not that easy to do .  I think most likely it would be an overseas unknown.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Please don't involve me in this kinda stuff. If somebody finds my post(s) objectional they should feel free to say so. As they have done for the last 20 years. 

So how many times in the last 20 years have you found your own post objectionable :)

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree. They won't sack him without having an idea of who will replace him, they will have a shortlist. And I would expect that regardless of whether Dena has us in 4th or 14th place. It is just good business practice. But Bruce was sacked before we has Dean lined up as manager so I think he will be gone IF they believe he is not the right man for the job

Or - they will put value in continuity 

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I would be shocked if they weren't looking at Bees and every other team in the PL. But they will not be blinded by the fact that Bees have significantly improved since Dean left and that is on the back of selling Maupay, Ollie and Benrahma, there 3 best players for about 100m and replacing them with cheap alternatives

and likely to be relegated next season like Sheff Utd were who were awesome and how bad Leeds are this season but have more resources so will avoid relegation but were fabulous last season.  Brentford are just this seasons flash in the pan, amazing for the next few months or more but nothing else.  Another team will do the same next season, don’t be distracted by the flashy lights they aren’t our real competition whether they do better this season than us or not and NSWE will know that.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, string28 said:

dean got it wrong and im angry about it but i think in the end he will get this sorted just hope he changes and doesnt do a bruce.

Just look at his record without Grealish. It’s awful. Really bad. This team cost £350m and it was as bad as any villa team I have ever seen in the first half tonight and not that much better in the second. Indefensible. You can legislate for players having a bad day but you can never legislate for a manager who watches something truly awful but does absolutely nothing about it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Any idea what Purslows record is like?  We know Edens is pretty ruthless, but maybe Purslow likes to stick rather than twist when it’s 50/50?

No Idea - but the fury on his face the day jack left - I think he could be pretty ruthless

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I disagree. I cant imagine a replacement coach waiting in the wings having been primed by Purslow and co.  Its not that easy to do .  I think most likely it would be an overseas unknown.

I don't know. Bruce is available, knows the area, knows the club 1,000 games as a manager. We could do worse. 

Maybe I shouldn't drink beer while watching Villa play

Â