Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

You maybe right but the amount individual errors by players really has cost us.  Yes every team have individual errors but we seem to have had more than most that have really cost us.  Just imagine if Engels hadn’t had slipped in the final seconds against Spurs and we got that point for example, we would now be outside the relegation zone.

You could say that about any team over the season though , if the ref had seen the Sheffield Utd goal we’d have lost another point - it’s all swings and roundabouts , after 31 games we deserve to be where we are - all we can hope is for a strong finish to the season 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

Smith isnt going anywhere what ever happens in my opinion, changes will all be around Suso and recruitment team

On current evidence, that means we won't be going anywhere, anytime soon either, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Smith was on the verge of getting the sack before lockdown, if we're relegated he will be gone, and he might go even if we survive. If we bring in a new Director of Football that would probably also make it more likely that Smith would leave as the new DOF would probably want bring in his own Head Coach.

Edited by useless

2 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

Smith isnt going anywhere what ever happens in my opinion, changes will all be around Suso and recruitment team

well it was widely reported he was heading for the sack before lock down...COVID saved his backside...i think he'll be gone within a week after the west ham game if we go down

6 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

In that case villa won’t be going anywhere anytime soon with him in charge , take grealish mings mcginn away and smith would really struggle in the championship - we saw enough last season to see that when jack was out . 
edens and sawiris are savvy businessmen - I can’t see them putting up with failure whatever purslow may spout .

hopefully serious questions will also be asked of purslow too regarding both Suso and smith . 

Edited by Eastie

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

well it was widely reported he was heading for the sack before lock down...COVID saved his backside...i think he'll be gone within a week after the west ham game if we go down

I think if we go down he’s more likely to stay than if we stay up.  The reason being he’s probably the best chance we have of getting back up whereas if we stay up the board might feel he gets another chance or they may want to really go for it, get rid of Smith and get a manager of note.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Dyche, are you kidding me? Talk about going backwards

How can you call dyche going backwards whilst defending smith constantly , he has established A  much smaller  club in  Burnley as a mid table And also got them to Europe .

smith has floundered like a fish out of water at this level and looks totally devoid of ideas .

granted dyche was given time to get Burnley up again but I see nothing in smith to suggest he would ever manage in the premiership again , he’s been found out .

Also Purslow did an interview the other day he talked about the bad run we were on but was basically saying that the lockdown has done us a favor and allowed us to restock and rethink things, he was pretty much saying that we've been given a lifeline and was expecting an improvement. I'd be incredibly suprised if he kept his job if we go down.

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

How can you call dyche going backwards whilst defending smith constantly , he has established A  much smaller  club in  Burnley as a mid table And also got them to Europe .

smith has floundered like a fish out of water at this level and looks totally devoid of ideas .

granted dyche was given time to get Burnley up again but I see nothing in smith to suggest he would ever manage in the premiership again , he’s been found out .

Do you really think if we got rid of Smith that Dyche is a good step up? That’s the best we can do?

12 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

Thats great  - more keystone cop defending  - Its not the players alone here that is the issue - all season we have seen examples of a team lacking basic football  principles , last night another example . TBH it like watching a kids team at times!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Do you really think if we got rid of Smith that Dyche is a good step up? That’s the best we can do?

We can do better definitely . 
is he a step up from smith - of course he is . 

Just now, Blasterpocket68 said:

LOLLL what direction are we going then with Smith.  Would Sean Dyche want to come to villa ? 

Thank god if he said no!  Not disagreeing about Smith but Dyche is the same but in a different dress.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, useless said:

Smith was on the verge of getting the sack before lockdown, if we're relegated he will be gone, and he might go even if we survive. If we bring in a new Director of Football that would probably also make it more likely that Smith would leave as the new DOF would probably want bring in his own Head Coach.

That's absolutely not what I'm hearing. Barring a run of 8-0 defeats - Smith starts next season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

We can do better definitely . 
is he a step up from smith - of course he is . 

Thank god re your first line

Second line, debatable! But so in the margins I don’t care.

Just now, hippo said:

That's absolutely not what I'm hearing. Barring a run of 8-0 defeats - Smith starts next season.

Maybe what purslow thinks , but if Eden’s and nas decide to act then they will do so - things change very fast in football when results are bad , who would have ever thought levy would sack poch so soon after warding clubs off with a new contract - managers are judged on results and Eden’s in particular is very much not afraid to fire coaches who’ve failed 

Â