Christian Purslow

villan-scott

Just for the record I don't have ANY clients who will renew even their insurance arrangements without taking it to the board for ratification. 

Edited by sidcow

I don't think for one second Gerrard was appointed *just because* he already had a relationship with Purslow - he also had a somewhat impressive managerial record with Rangers - but I equally think you can go too far in the other direction; I doubt very much that their pre-existing relationship had *literally no* impact either. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think for one second Gerrard was appointed *just because* he already had a relationship with Purslow - he also had a somewhat impressive managerial record with Rangers - but I equally think you can go too far in the other direction; I doubt very much that their pre-existing relationship had *literally no* impact either. 

The thing is he had been linked to the Villa job 18 months before he had won anything in Rangers

I think if Gerrard didn't go to Rangers in 2018 we would have hired him over Smith

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The thing is he had been linked to the Villa job 18 months before he had won anything in Rangers

I think if Gerrard didn't go to Rangers in 2018 we would have hired him over Smith

I don't remember him being linked, but I'll take your word for it. I will say though that 'being linked' isn't necessarily the same as 'would have been hired' (I guess we'll never know unless Purslow reveals it for some reason). 

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yet he did

Purslow clearly a bit misty eyed over Gerrard... But I think he wrongly thought he had all the ingredients to be the next great coach (think there's a reason that a British coach hasn't won the Premier League since Ferguson), from his experience of him as an individual at Liverpool. I think he was naive and used the credit in the bank to bring NSWE on board with hiring him. 

• Like 4

Come on folks, if we are going to label Purslow a failure for one bad appointment (amongst all the good stuff he’s done) does that mean NSWE are also failures for hiring Purslow? 

Neither of our owners are idiots, if Purslow was as bad as some of you make out he would have been removed from his post. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think for one second Gerrard was appointed *just because* he already had a relationship with Purslow - he also had a somewhat impressive managerial record with Rangers - but I equally think you can do too far in the other direction, I doubt very much that their pre-existing relationship had *literally no* impact either. 

I agree that Purslow’s existing relationship with Gerrard was a factor. I’d say that the hierarchy were in agreement that Dean’s tenure had run its course. That would then fall on the CEO to identify a replacement. The problem for me is that the club didn’t carry out any proper due diligence regarding Gerrard. Living up in The Highlands I know a fair few Rangers fans and the general opinion was that Gerrard was very popular because they’d won the League. It’s also widely believed that the brains was always Beale. In fact Gerrard more or less said as much. 

If due diligence of any depth was carried out the intentions of the coaching staff, particularly one as important as the defecto head coach, should also have been looked into. I can’t really believe that Gerrard himself didn’t have some idea as too Beale’s future ambitions. 

I think that Purslow sold the idea of a big upgrade in exposure by appointing a world famous ex player. They went for it and the plan in that regard worked. We even managed to sign players off the back of it. Some were good but some pretty poor. Coutinho on loan, effectively a trial, was fine but the permanent signing, ignoring the results of the trial was just plain stupid. Then Beale left and Gerrard’s lack of coaching skills were completely exposed. The summer’s transfers were suddenly curtailed as this became more evident. 

Purslow’s love of the limelight is well known and this is quite clearly his Achilles heel. I think the board need to share the blame to some extent for Gerrard’s appointment but Purslow was definitely driving the project. He exasperated it by allowing the permanent signing of Coutinho. 

Perhaps he’s getting most of the rest of his work right but we can’t ignore the cost or indeed the on going cost. I doubt NSWE have laughed it off. Maybe they regard changes to CEO would be too disruptive at the moment or maybe they haven’t got anyone lined up who they want to appoint. Either way CP has blotted his copy book and shone a light on himself that he won’t be so comfortable under. I don’t think he is as secure in his position as he’d like to be. 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

How do you know Purslow didn't want him sacked. Where is your evidence for this conviction you hold so firmly you wanted a man to lose his job over? 

Who have you "heard it from?" 

Twitter? You personally know someone who was in the room? 

Calling for someone's head on the basis of rumour and tittle tattle is abhorrent and reminiscent of Witch trials from The Middle Ages. 

I'm on a forum giving my opinion on Purslow, I have no influence over Purslow's future and wish him no harm, I just don't rate him, you do. 

FWIW I'm not on twitter, Instagram , Spacebook or any other social media, none of my conclusions are drawn from faceless rumours most of it's in the public domain, Purslow was told to sack Gerrard and he never picked Emery as manager, is this what you think is a rumour? 

Rather than trying to pick apart my argument why don't you tell us what you think he has done for us , in football terms. Smith was decent, Signing Ings , Bailey and Beundia to replace Jack, visiting number 10?

7 minutes ago, tinker said:

I'm on a forum giving my opinion on Purslow, I have no influence over Purslow's future and wish him no harm, I just don't rate him, you do. 

FWIW I'm not on twitter, Instagram , Spacebook or any other social media, none of my conclusions are drawn from faceless rumours most of it's in the public domain, Purslow was told to sack Gerrard and he never picked Emery as manager, is this what you think is a rumour? 

Rather than trying to pick apart my argument why don't you tell us what you think he has done for us , in football terms. Smith was decent, Signing Ings , Bailey and Beundia to replace Jack, visiting number 10?

I'm not attacking him, I've nothing to prove mate. 

I just don't understand how people can form such strong negative impressions about someone when they've got zero idea what he's done. It literally amazes me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Yet he did

You keep saying this without prividing any factual evidence that he was appointed because he was "his mate"

So purslow runs the risk of putting his own job on the line just to hire a mate. Doesnt that sound ridiculous to you?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

You keep saying this without prividing any factual evidence that he was appointed because he was "his mate"

So purslow runs the risk of putting his own job on the line just to hire a mate. Doesnt that sound ridiculous to you?

That does sound crazy... but I bet he believed his mate would be a success.

As someone else put,  I think Purslow was the driver, but no way did NSWE not have a say. The fact Purslow has been out the limelight since the sacking, and the fact we were very strongly linked with a new DOF, tells me his role has been cut back. As it should have been.

He's no longer responsible for the direct football side of things, just the indirect stuff and, as has been said, looking after villas interests in the the external "game-wide" developments. That is what he's good at, and he should stick to. Don't think we'll see him go in the summer, but if he thinks he can offer more on the football side then he might sell his investment and move on. 

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm not attacking him, I've nothing to prove mate. 

I just don't understand how people can form such strong negative impressions about someone when they've got zero idea what he's done. It literally amazes me. 

the mad thing is that they know exactly what he's done, and since he's been at the club we've gone in one direction...up. of course there have been stumbles along the way, as there are with every football club. but the fact is no one knows whose primarily responsible for said stumbles aside from the key individuals involved in them.

it does seem to be a theme on here that the good that happens in the club gets attributed to people that are generally liked on here and the bad attributed to those that aren't. lange and emery can seemingly do no wrong but purslow is the pantomime villain at the moment.

it goes back to the suso times where basically any good signing was deano's and all the bad were all susos.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the mad thing is that they know exactly what he's done, and since he's been at the club we've gone in one direction...up. of course there have been stumbles along the way, as there are with every football club. but the fact is no one knows whose primarily responsible for said stumbles aside from the key individuals involved in them.

it does seem to be a theme on here that the good that happens in the club gets attributed to people that are generally liked on here and the bad attributed to those that aren't. lange and emery can seemingly do no wrong but purslow is the pantomime villain at the moment.

it goes back to the suso times where basically any good signing was deano's and all the bad were all susos.

Are you sure you about that mate ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

That does sound crazy... but I bet he believed his mate would be a success.

As someone else put,  I think Purslow was the driver, but no way did NSWE not have a say. The fact Purslow has been out the limelight since the sacking, and the fact we were very strongly linked with a new DOF, tells me his role has been cut back. As it should have been.

He's no longer responsible for the direct football side of things, just the indirect stuff and, as has been said, looking after villas interests in the the external "game-wide" developments. That is what he's good at, and he should stick to. Don't think we'll see him go in the summer, but if he thinks he can offer more on the football side then he might sell his investment and move on. 

what limelight? you make it sound like he's giving interviews every 5 minutes. and why do you not think he's responsible for the direct football side of things? i guarantee every signing or sale requires his sign off.

Just now, tomav84 said:

what limelight? you make it sound like he's giving interviews every 5 minutes. and why do you not think he's responsible for the direct football side of things? i guarantee every signing or sale requires his sign off.

Well he wasn't standing alongside Emery during his unveiling, unlike the Gerrard appointment.

He hasn't explained our January signings like he did with Digne and Coutinho.

You think he's not taken more of a back seat, that's up to you.  I think he has. 

Â