Christian Purslow

villan-scott

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So how would you feel if you got sacked for making one mistake in your job? I would imagine you wouldnt be happy?

It's not just the mistake though, he allowed Gerrard to go on making mistakes, the final straw been Fulham when the owner stepped in and sacked him over Purslow's head. 

Gerrard was a huge gamble that should not have been taken, it's a £200m loss with wages, you don't just carry on as you were when you make a mistake that big. Time will tell, my guess he will be gone this summer. 

10 minutes ago, allani said:

Didn't you just say that they had spent £260 million?  So £70 million + £260 million still means that they've pretty much doubled their money if they were to sell for £600 million (which I think is a conservative estimate).  By the time the redevelopment is complete that value is likely to soar - especially if it is coupled with better success on the pitch.  I think they are looking at trebling their investment as a minimum.

No, I said the club had made a loss of 260 million. How much the owners have invested into the club is a different thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

No, I said the club had made a loss of 260 million. How much the owners have invested into the club is a different thing.

Maybe my economics and accountancy skills are letting me down but presumably if they have invested £500 million but the club has only lost £260 million then the other £240 million has been covered by other income and so they've effectively broken even on that already and so it wouldn't impact on any profit they made if they sold the club?  I'm probably mixing two different accounting methods / approaches.  But I think NSWE will make a lot of money if / when they decide to sell.  Plus hopefully they will have had some fun / excitement along the way supporting the club.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

It's not just the mistake though, he allowed Gerrard to go on making mistakes, the final straw been Fulham when the owner stepped in and sacked him over Purslow's head. 

Gerrard was a huge gamble that should not have been taken, it's a £200m loss with wages, you don't just carry on as you were when you make a mistake that big. Time will tell, my guess he will be gone this summer. 

We all acknowledge that the gerrard appointment was a mistake however youbdont just sack your ceo on one bad managerial appointment. 

As i said before look how many spurs have made. Utd the same. 

We need to get out of this sacking culture that villa fans seem to demand its not good for the football club

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

We all acknowledge that the gerrard appointment was a mistake however youbdont just sack your ceo on one bad managerial appointment. 

As i said before look how many spurs have made. Utd the same. 

We need to get out of this sacking culture that villa fans seem to demand its not good for the football club

Clue is "owner stepped in and sacked him over Purslow's head"

2 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

I’m not sure what Purslow has done wrong other than the Gerrard appointment - agree that’s a big mark against him, but what owners have never made a dud appointment.

The man is probably busier with business related to the expansion.

I see we are going full circle with Purslow being 100% right for the things we like and 100% at fault for the things we don’t. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tinker said:

Clue is "owner stepped in and sacked him over Purslow's head"

Pure conjecture. 

Do you think Purslow was sitting there refusing to sack him? 

It was almost certainly a pre agreed joint board decision to sack him if we lost to Fulham. 

Again its pure rumour and conjecture exactly how it happened but it sounds like Sawiris just did it on the spot in anger. 

I doubt anyone planned to do it before he got on the bus. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

For the many, many faults of the Gerrard era and the decision to appoint him, I think some would do well to let it go. We are heading in the right direction and to try and blame certain individuals on and off of the pitch just isn’t for me the way to do it. 

Nah

ready-to-fight-alex-boye.gif

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Pure conjecture. 

Do you think Purslow was sitting there refusing to sack him? 

It was almost certainly a pre agreed joint board decision to sack him if we lost to Fulham. 

Again its pure rumour and conjecture exactly how it happened but it sounds like Sawiris just did it on the spot in anger. 

I doubt anyone planned to do it before he got on the bus. 

Purslow didn't think he needed to be sacked, not sure what you have heard about the night of the sacking but from what I have heard it wasn't  'professional' or thought out

Was Purslow involved in Emery's appointment? I don't believe he was. Would you trust him to pick another manager for us, I wouldn't.

The way i see it is he's been marginalized by what's happened and it's shown in his low profile ever since. Time will tell, I think he will be gone in the summer. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tinker said:

Purslow didn't think he needed to be sacked, not sure what you have heard about the night of the sacking but from what I have heard it wasn't  'professional' or thought out

How do you know Purslow didn't want him sacked. Where is your evidence for this conviction you hold so firmly you wanted a man to lose his job over? 

Who have you "heard it from?" 

Twitter? You personally know someone who was in the room? 

Calling for someone's head on the basis of rumour and tittle tattle is abhorrent and reminiscent of Witch trials from The Middle Ages. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

For the many, many faults of the Gerrard era and the decision to appoint him, I think some would do well to let it go. We are heading in the right direction and to try and blame certain individuals on and off of the pitch just isn’t for me the way to do it. 

I do agree with what you're saying, but it's hard to just 'let it go' when we're still paying the price of Gerrards tenure. It's not just letting go of an argument with your missus, or if your mate owes you a fiver....We're paying close to 300k a week in wages to Digne and Coutinho. It's not just that to be honest, I think we've been less than impressive on the footballing side of things in the last 2/3 years. Basically, ever since Grealish left. We've spent/wasted a LOT of money. The Gerrard appointment/sacking alone probably cost the club close to £20m. I wouldn't be best pleased if that was my money!

I don't know what Purslow does, or doesn't do, so it's hard to criticize, but given he's the man at the helm, I guess the buck stops with him.
Either way, hopefully we've turned a corner now that Emery is 'at the wheel'. Onwards and upwards*

*Our transfer market activity/policy still worries me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

So how would you feel if you got sacked for making one mistake in your job? I would imagine you wouldnt be happy?

I doubt his mistake could have potentially cost hundreds of millions just to hire a mate

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I doubt his mistake could have potentially cost hundreds of millions just to hire a mate

Aaagggghhggg. 

Appointing a manager will be a joint board decision. 

For all that you or I or anyone knows Purslow and Sawiris might have been even more enthusiastic than Purslow to hire Gerrard. 

They certainly didn't have enough worries to object to it. 

They may well, in fact probably have taken a much ownership of it as Purslow. 

This is so boring. Nobody has a clue what happened yet everyone is an expert with huge insight. 

The only thing that is 100% certain is that the owners are happy to let Purslow continue to work for them. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think this point gets overlooked a lot.

The same people saying Purslow has only made one mistake are probably the same people lamenting the fact we aren't signing anyone. Well, I'm afraid that is a symptom of spending huge sums of cash on transfer fees, wages and hiring managers. 

• Like 1

If it was Sawiris who decided that was that with Gerrard (and it seems that was the case), then that would suggest he and Edens aren’t shy about pulling the trigger when they feel someone isn’t performing their duties to an acceptable standard. 

If that’s true, then it in turn would suggest they are content with Purslow as he’s still in position and there’s nothing substantial to suggest that is likely to change anytime soon.

Ultimately if you’re questioning why Purslow is still here, then you’re questioning the judgment of the owners. And they’re probably better placed to know how well or how badly he’s doing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If it was Sawiris who decided that was that with Gerrard (and it seems that was the case), then that would suggest he and Edens aren’t shy about pulling the trigger when they feel someone isn’t performing their duties to an acceptable standard. 

If that’s true, then it in turn would suggest they are content with Purslow as he’s still in position and there’s nothing substantial to suggest that is likely to change anytime soon.

Ultimately if you’re questioning why Purslow is still here, then you’re questioning the judgment of the owners. And they’re probably better placed to know how well or how badly he’s doing.

100%. They are closer to this than anyone. They know tbe score and they are currently happy. 

Anything else is just rumour and gossip, probably driven by idiots on social media. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He didnt hire because he was a "mate" heard this a few times but as if purslow would just appoint a person because its his mate 

• Like 2

Â