PauloBarnesi

Which team has the most delusional fans  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which team has the most delusional fans

• Tottenham Hotspur
    • Newcastle United
    • West Ham United
    • Other (specify)

One I'd like to throw into the mix is Leeds United. Knowing a few of there fans they seem to think that it is beneath them to be playing in the third tier of english Football and that there rightful place is in the top 4 of the premiership and playing in europe. They seem to forget that the last time they achieved that they'd mortgaged the clubs future and it nearly put them out of business in the summer just gone.

However I'd have to say that the barcodes, In my eyes never have been a big club. success only came when money was thrown at the playing side and that never cures the basic infrastructure of a club which is what any team needs to have to be continually succesful at a high level and the fact that they still make this spurious claim to be the most passionate fans in the club. This season all that seems to mean to me is that they are the supporters that boo the loudest.

I don't think it's Newcastle - here's why. They do have a huge fanbase and excellent attendances. That ought to give them an advantage over, for example, West Ham.

Additionally they have played in the Champions league as a result of some top 2 finishes a while back.

So for that reason, to me, they are not all that deluded. They know they could do well - they have theoretically the possibility to really well.

Spurs, too, have more fans than their ground can hold, so again, with the level of support they have they can rightly feel that success ought to be achievable. To me they are a bigger club than Chelsea. Only Arsenal down South is a bigger club with more fans and more success.

West Ham on the other hand, don't have the same size support. Until recently they didn't have any money either. They don't have a history of major success in the same way that Spurs do, or the support that Newcastle do.

West Ham fans perhaps don't make the same claims for a "right" to success that Newcastle and Spurs do, but for me they are the fans who most over-expect comparitive to what they are really capable of doing.

They're all good clubs, all proper Premier League teams, and Spurs and Newcastle are top 8 clubs, IMO, with West Ham a way behind them.

I don't think it's Newcastle - here's why. They do have a huge fanbase and excellent attendances. That ought to give them an advantage over, for example, West Ham.

Additionally they have played in the Champions league as a result of some top 2 finishes a while back.

So for that reason, to me, they are not all that deluded. They know they could do well - they have theoretically the possibility to really well.

Spurs, too, have more fans than their ground can hold, so again, with the level of support they have they can rightly feel that success ought to be achievable. To me they are a bigger club than Chelsea. Only Arsenal down South is a bigger club with more fans and more success.

West Ham on the other hand, don't have the same size support. Until recently they didn't have any money either. They don't have a history of major success in the same way that Spurs do, or the support that Newcastle do.

West Ham fans perhaps don't make the same claims for a "right" to success that Newcastle and Spurs do, but for me they are the fans who most over-expect comparitive to what they are really capable of doing.

They're all good clubs, all proper Premier League teams, and Spurs and Newcastle are top 8 clubs, IMO, with West Ham a way behind them.

As always, a very good post Pete. I agree one a-hundred per cent :)

Blandy your points are, as usual, sound. But the Hammers have won things far more recently than Newcastle too. How long does a team like Newcastle have to go without winning anything before they re-adjust their delusions ? They're not even willing to concede that perhaps they're not quite the team they think they are.

West Ham on the other hand, don't have the same size support. Until recently they didn't have any money either. They don't have a history of major success in the same way that Spurs do............

Hey, come on. Any self respecting Wet Spam fan will tell you they won the World Cup in '66.

:roll:

I voted for Spurs. I keep hearing their fans talking about playing 'the spurs way', but I'm 25 and ever since I can remember, they've done diddley squat. Therefore, to me, 'the spurs way' is playing shit.

Agreed Newcastle fans have these 'strange' expectations but I would throw-in another local team - WOLVES ! I was unfortunate to work for their Council for several years and their optimism and aspirations were amazing - considering they were rubbish. Truly an example of 'delusions of adequacy' !

ps - and they all supported Worcestershire :evil:

Agreed Newcastle fans have these 'strange' expectations but I would throw-in another local team - WOLVES ! I was unfortunate to work for their Council for several years and their optimism and aspirations were amazing - considering they were rubbish. Truly an example of 'delusions of adequacy' !

Never seen a wolves fan being like that, they are like baggies...they know they arent a big club anymore really, out of interest what did they say? did they consider themselves at our level? man u level? lol

Never seen a wolves fan being like that, they are like baggies...they know they arent a big club anymore really, out of interest what did they say? did they consider themselves at our level? man u level? lol

No not really like that. More a case of 'Well we've got Sir Jack and we've got the ground and we used to be a great team etc etc' Then; "Its only a matter of time before we are back in the Premier" There was one particular game some years ago which they had to win - think it was against Middlesboro at home. They, to a man, were convinced that it was 3 points for the taking - they lost ! so didnt go up.

I suppose it could be like us when we were in the old Third Division (if anyone remembers those dark days).We didnt go up first time and I expected us to win every game - bring on Chico Hamilton !!

I honestly don't blame Wolves fans for expecting to be in the Premiership. It certainly is a big enough club to achieve full time Premiership status.

I honestly don't blame Wolves fans for expecting to be in the Premiership. It

certainly is a big enough club to achieve full time Premiership status.

Yep - you are probably right.

But it doesnt excuse them for supporting Worcestershire :D

Â