UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

Velasquez is really impressive. Even though Kongo survived it was a beating

Wouldn't call him the next Anderson Silva/GSP on that performance. Dominant yes, his opponent was devoid of ground defence, and he couldn't put Congo away. Against a well rounded rival he'll find it much tougher.

Performance of the night was from Mike Swick.

Bring on Alves vs GSP!!!

For the first UFC card I've properly sat down and watched (well most of it anyway) that was pretty good.

I can see myself getting into this in a big way!

Be sure to watch the next one. It's a ridiculous card. 8)

i really cant wait dor this,i dont want gsp to get beat but i have a feeling silva is going to win..

Wouldn't call him the next Anderson Silva/GSP on that performance. Dominant yes, his opponent was devoid of ground defence, and he couldn't put Congo away. Against a well rounded rival he'll find it much tougher.

Bring on Alves vs GSP!!!

Swick was good alright,but tbh i dont think it was the best night for ufc ever..i thought in two of the fights the ref's were not great..

For the first UFC card I've properly sat down and watched (well most of it anyway) that was pretty good.

i really cant wait dor this,i dont want gsp to get beat but i have a feeling silva is going to win..

I'd've thought GSP's chances of beating any of the Silva's would be slim. ( He's fighting Thiago Alves) :winkold:

Bring on Alves vs GSP!!!

Swick was good alright,but tbh i dont think it was the best night for ufc ever..i thought in two of the fights the ref's were not great..

True, ref defo missed the eye poke by Cro Cop. Not that it would've changed the outcome...

I'd've thought GSP's chances of beating any of the Silva's would be slim. ( He's fighting Thiago Alves) :winkold:

sorry ha,yeah Alves im kinda drunk still stuck in the Silva fight tonight :D ..i think Alves is going to win myself.but i hope GSP does

Bring on Alves vs GSP!!!

True, ref defo missed the eye poke by Cro Cop. Not that it would've changed the outcome...

tbf to Kongo he did take the fight on short notice didnt he,his stand up at the start of each round was great imo.but Velasquez on the ground was unreal,the take downs where unreal.i think he'd be better at 205 though in future..

Velasquez to be heavyweight champ inside 12 months. He not only took Kongo's power on the chin and survived (multiple times), he thrived. That was his first victory that wasn't by KO and CK is FAR harder to put away than most hws (He's been stopped once in his career and it was 5 years ago). His kickboxing is fantastic, his wrestling is world class and he was strong enough to throw a 16.5st man around like a doll. That is the best non-Fedor HW performance I've seen, even considering Kongo took it on shortish notice.

The only thing that great card was hampered by was the missed eye gouge. Miragliotta was fairly poor all night, he seems to get by on his size alone. IMO it should be called a no contest after an appeal but that won't happen.

PS - Dan Hardy got exactly what he wanted by running his mouth - an accelerated rise up the rankings. I love it when a plan comes together.

I'm a newbie to UFC, but the impression I got from that Velasquez was if he comes up against someone with a better ground defence he'll be in trouble. Yes he survived Kongo's punches but they rocked him. If Kongo had capitalised then the fight would have been over quicker.

he controlled Kongo but he didn't do a whole lot when he was there. great positioning but no finish. The impression I got was someone better on the ground than Kongo would have won that fight.

But as I said I'm a n00b so I might be way off!

I'm a newbie to UFC, but the impression I got from that Velasquez was if he comes up against someone with a better ground defence he'll be in trouble. Yes he survived Kongo's punches but they rocked him. If Kongo had capitalised then the fight would have been over quicker.

he controlled Kongo but he didn't do a whole lot when he was there. great positioning but no finish. The impression I got was someone better on the ground than Kongo would have won that fight.

like i said,i think Velasquez should drop down to 205,i think if he come's up against the likes of Lesner he'll come undone..at 205 he could be one of the greats imo..

like i said,i think Velasquez should drop down to 205,i think if he come's up against the likes of Lesner he'll come undone..at 205 he could be one of the greats imo..

Agree with both comments. Someone like Lesnar, Mir, Carwin or Gonzaga would prove too much to handle.

Good call for him to drop down a weight.

And Congo NEEDS to work on his take-down defence... cos he has none!

Agree with both comments. Someone like Lesnar, Mir, Carwin or Gonzaga would prove too much to handle.

Good call for him to drop down a weight.

And Congo NEEDS to work on his take-down defence... cos he has none!

i have to agree on Congo,but i think last night he was shattered tired, he did take this fight with only two weeks notice,Velasquez was very good at take downs wasn't he..last night was the first time i seen him fight and god he looks a right handfull..

Sylvia got KO'd in 9 seconds by Mercer :crylaugh:

Sylvia is a grade A twit. Weighed in at 310 pounds and thought it would be easy.

He falls like the Eiffel Tower :lol:

Well Cro Crop has just screwed Dana White by signing for Dream! That was a short come back!

:shock:

Dana sounds pleased:

“Isn’t that a dirty [expletive] thing to do? He [expletived] me. The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal and he [expletived] me…. He didn’t keep his word. He talked about honor and all this other [expletive] and he [expletived] me. He fed me this bull [expletive] about wanting to take a run for the title, and what I think he did was, he went out and did this. He turned down every other [expletive] fighter I offered him, because I needed him to fight Cain. He didn’t just poke Al-Turk; he poked me, too.”

I don't think people here are giving Kongo's takedown defence and hands or Velasquez's gnp, chin and power anywhere near enough credit. Kongo has never been dominated and held down anything like Cain did, his last 3 opponents were knocked out from his strikes (which are among the best in the world) but CV never even hit his back. And Stevo, Velasquez won't be troubled even by a WC take down defence IMO purely because take downs are just one of the multiple weapons he has (Oh yeah, and he's a former 2 time All American wrestler in college so if anyone can take them down, he can). That is the first time he hasn't won by K.O. and that's because it was his first shot at a top 5 UFC HW (who's never been stopped inside the octagon).

I don't really agree about him dropping down either, he weighed in at about 240 on Friday I think and he's only 26. So that's either a HW career or a 35lb cut every fight for a fighter who will naturally get bigger like nearly all HWs do. In 4 years I'd say he'll have to cut to make 265 just like Lesnar so I can see no reason why he would drop down at all.

What reasons do people have for him dropping down? Other than Lesnar (who he is a few classes above in terms of talent and will be getting close to matching for size soon).

This boy is class. Crocop was damn right to avoid him.

Hmmm, well as I said, I'm a newbie so I was only giving my thoughts, but he didn't seem all that. If Kongo could have stayed on his feet for more than 30 seconds he'd have won. But I guess that's credit to Valasquez. Just didn't seem all that impressive to me.

I'm with 'Joe' here as I thought Cain's groundwork was dominating, especially considering Congo is a bigger guy.

Well done Hardy, he's got some skills.

I enjoyed the Frankin v. W. Silva fight - very entertaining.

Â