UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

I'll agree with your point about Henderson's second hit Donnie, but not much else.. That was disgraceful. He knew Bisping was out and put his whole **** weight behind that. Hits like that can end careers and lives.

The reason UFC ruffles boxing fans feathers is because boxers like to think they're the toughest guys on the planet, but they're not. These MMA guys are. And the money and buzz is shifting towards the UFC now.

UFC will go the same way as boxing eventually.

It'll be a victim of it's own success, they'll start leaning towards padding records, big fights with much poorer fights on the undercard etc.

Boxers are still the elite, incredibly skilled. You wouldn't get a WWE wrestler walk into boxing and win a title after 4 fights.

UFC is boxing for dummies really.

Just because he came from WWE doesn't mean that he isn't for real. He cleaned up in wrestling in college and is an absolute animal.

For what it's worth, I could easilly see him beating some of the champions at heavyweight.

I don't see why the boxers don't get involved and show everyone how tough they are.

Nobody really knows whether Lesnar has a good chin. If he does, then those heavyweights wouldn't stand a chance. I think the heavyweight division is the only one that lacks a bit of finesse UFC. The others are brimming with talent at the moment.

I'll agree with your point about Henderson's second hit Donnie, but not much else.. That was disgraceful. He knew Bisping was out and put his whole **** weight behind that. Hits like that can end careers and lives.

The reason UFC ruffles boxing fans feathers is because boxers like to think they're the toughest guys on the planet, but they're not. These MMA guys are. And the money and buzz is shifting towards the UFC now.

UFC will go the same way as boxing eventually.

It'll be a victim of it's own success, they'll start leaning towards padding records, big fights with much poorer fights on the undercard etc.

Boxers are still the elite, incredibly skilled. You wouldn't get a WWE wrestler walk into boxing and win a title after 4 fights.

UFC is boxing for dummies really.

Just because he came from WWE doesn't mean that he isn't for real. He cleaned up in wrestling in college and is an absolute animal.

For what it's worth, I could easilly see him beating some of the champions at heavyweight.

I don't see why the boxers don't get involved and show everyone how tough they are.

Nobody really knows whether Lesnar has a good chin. If he does, then those heavyweights wouldn't stand a chance. I think the heavyweight division is the only one that lacks a bit of finesse UFC. The others are brimming with talent at the moment.

I think he was caught by Couture or Herring and he didn't even blink.

You can tell he can take a shot though with that big ol' can head and thick neck.

Tim Sylvia's a stand up fighter who'd dominate most MMA fighters if they weren't allowed to go to the ground. He lasted 9 seconds with a boxing OAP when he tried the same.

There's a difference between giving and taking a punch in MMA and giving and taking a punch in boxing.

Lesnar would lose by early stoppage against any top 100 HW in boxing. He'd be badly, badly outskilled.

MMA fighters don't throw real punches and they can't fight out of a proper boxing stance.

Stand a chance in what? All the heavyweights would smash Lesnar in a boxing match.

You ever seen Anderson Silva in a boxing match? He got beat by a journeyman. Particular highlight was when he tried the Ali shuffle and got smashed in the chin :lol:

Of course they'd win in a boxing match, because that's their domain. That is what they're most skilled at. That's bloody obvious.

Put them in the octagon and see how they fare. I'd wager most would get taken down and brutalised against a guy like Lesnar.

Well there's somebody here claiming Lesnar would beat Heavyweight champions in boxing matches, thought you might be agreeing.

Anderson Silva's boxing match is on dailymotion, watch it, it's **** hilarious, he's shite, all arms and legs.

I agree that Lesnar would beat them all in the octagon. Give a world class boxer and kickboxer like Vitali Klit some defence takedown training though and he'd have a chance.

. Give a world class boxer and kickboxer like Vitali Klit some defence takedown training though and he'd have a chance.

Thats the whole point mate. Most of the American fighters start out as wrestlers! It takes alot of training and dedication to be rounded enough to even compete at MMA. Boxing is just one discipline.

:crylaugh:

Beat them in a boxing match? :lol:

Did you see what happened when an MMA fighter tried to stand up with Ray Mercer?

It's a stupid comparison though.

No a ufc fighter probably couldn't beat a boxer in a boxing match. But that's like saying "Well messi's really good at what he does, but I bet he couldn't beat the world squash champion in a game of squash."

Brock lesnar couldn't beat the heavyweight boxing champion in a boxing match. But similarly the boxer would get his arse handed to him in the octagon.

They are different sports. Brock walked into the UFC and did well because he was one of the best college wrestlers ever. That's real wrestling. His WWE didn't really have anything to do with it.

No a ufc fighter probably couldn't beat a boxer in a boxing match. But that's like saying "Well messi's really good at what he does, but I bet he couldn't beat the world squash champion in a game of squash."

Brock lesnar couldn't beat the heavyweight boxing champion in a boxing match. But similarly the boxer would get his arse handed to him in the octagon.

They are different sports. Brock walked into the UFC and did well because he was one of the best college wrestlers ever. That's real wrestling. His WWE didn't really have anything to do with it.

Thing is, a boxer would have a punchers chance in an MMA match.

A UFC fighter would have NO CHANCE in a boxing match.

Yes because a boxer can thrive in a boxing match. They work within the rules and restrictions of boxing. This is what they're trained to do.

In a MMA bout, they can still do everything that they could in a boxing match. They're not restricted in anyway. But the difference being the MMA'er is not restricted either.

If you were a great boxer, you wouldn't go into MMA, because the money is better in boxing at the moment. But MMA is catching up. UFC 100 was the biggest ever and the sport is going from strength to strength, even in this country. Perhaps in a few years we will see a few boxer in the octagon?

Irrelevant really.

Ronaldo would have a chance at rugby because he's so quick, but Jonah Lomu would be shit at football. Comparing 2 different sports doesn't work.

It would depend on who they were fighting, but I actually think a MMA fighter would have a better chance in a boxing match than vice versa. All a boxer can do is punch, so the mma fighter would just take him down and neutralise his only threat. Where as in boxing, yes the boxer would ultimately win, but the mma fighter would be able to use his punches.

Ultimately, as I said, it's irrelevant. Like comparing cricket and baseball. Both hit balls with bats, but both would lose playing the opposite sports.

It would depend on who they were fighting, but I actually think a MMA fighter would have a better chance in a boxing match than vice versa. All a boxer can do is punch, so the mma fighter would just take him down and neutralise his only threat. Where as in boxing, yes the boxer would ultimately win, but the mma fighter would be able to use his punches.

MMA fighters can't box anywhere near to the standard of a boxer though. They can't punch properly, they don't fight out of the correct stance, they pull back in straight lines.

A world class MMA fighter would NEVER beat a world class boxer at boxing. A boxer could beat a world class MMA fighter in MMA, we've seen it in the last two weeks.

Yes because a boxer can thrive in a boxing match. They work within the rules and restrictions of boxing. This is what they're trained to do.

In a MMA bout, they can still do everything that they could in a boxing match. They're not restricted in anyway. But the difference being the MMA'er is not restricted either.

If you were a great boxer, you wouldn't go into MMA, because the money is better in boxing at the moment. But MMA is catching up. UFC 100 was the biggest ever and the sport is going from strength to strength, even in this country. Perhaps in a few years we will see a few boxer in the octagon?

I think Enzo Maccarinelli is talking about going to MMA in the future. Would be interesting to see whether he can make any waves.

Alternatively Fedor victim Arlovski who was famed for his stand up skills is coming to boxing and working under Roach. Apparently he's really struggling. Can't see him getting very far with his china chin.

MMA fighters can't box anywhere near to the standard of a boxer though. They can't punch properly, they don't fight out of the correct stance, they pull back in straight lines.

A world class MMA fighter would NEVER beat a world class boxer at boxing. A boxer could beat a world class MMA fighter in MMA, we've seen it in the last two weeks.

I'm not saying they could beat a boxer. But there's no way a boxer could beat an mma fighter at mma either, not a world class one anyway.

As I said, 2 different sports.

I'm not saying they could beat a boxer. But there's no way a boxer could beat an mma fighter at mma either, not a world class one anyway.

As I said, 2 different sports.

Ray Mercer just KO'd former UFC champion Tim Sylvia in 9 seconds under MMA rules. So how is there no way it could happen?

Hasn't he been training in mma for 2 or 3 years though? That's different. Give certain mma fighters 2 or 3 years proper boxing training and I'm sure they'd be pretty good at that too.

Hasn't he been training in mma for 2 or 3 years though? That's different. Give certain mma fighters 2 or 3 years proper boxing training and I'm sure they'd be pretty good at that too.

He doesn't train in MMA, just fights in MMA. He hasn't bothered to learn anything about it.

Fair play to the bloke then, although looking at his record he's 1-1. And his knockout was 9 seconds. That would suggest a very good one punch fight. Impressive, but hardly really proves he's good at the sport.

Anyway, this argument is pointless, doesn'tchange the fact that it's different sports. Arguin that one is better than the other is as futile as arguing that cricket is better than tennis. No-one can ever settle the argument and, frankly, no-onne really gives a shit.

i fail to see the skill and martial art element in ufc. There boxing is appaling, there kicking is shite watch K1 if you want too see real kicks, all lesnar does his pick his opponents up slam them on there head and sit on them and punch them in the head and can do so easily not cause he is skilled but cause he is a big bastard!.

can some one tell me the skill or 'martial art' in what he does. fair enough some of the grappling and submissions is impressive but so is knitting and both are bout as intresting as watching paint dry and something kinda gay about two men rolling on top pf each other not doing anything.can see something as 'skilled' as this in the pub.just for a bunch of knucklehead gays (sorry guys)with no iq who think there hard in there shitty affliction tops :D

Anyway, this argument is pointless, doesn'tchange the fact that it's different sports. Arguin that one is better than the other is as futile as arguing that cricket is better than tennis. No-one can ever settle the argument and, frankly, no-onne really gives a shit.

I'll just highlight this, in case people forget. Why do some boxing fans go out of their way to ridicule MMA, I will never know. Read my lips: DIFFERENT SPORTS!

If one wants to poke fun at certain champions of the different sports is one thing, there are bad eggs everywhere. Sylvia is one.

Â