Formula One - 2018

BOF

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Farlz said:

Ocon cost him a win by being a complete idiot, he was rightly furious.

No rule in F1 says you can't unlap yourself, Ocon had faster tyres and needed to get past for his own race, verstappen squeezed him and deserved what he got imo. 

As for the pushing afterwards, MV acted like my 4 year old daughter when I tell her she can't have any sweets. He's driving style is too raw, he is an incredibe talent who I'd love to see in a car capable of winning every race but unless he grows up he won't get into that car. 

• Like 1

I think verstapen is already believing his own hype and believes he has a god given right to drive how he wants. 

Sure, he’s talented but too petulant to take to. 

I imagine he’ll be totally unbearable if and when he manages to actually win anything. 

(Not a huge fan of Hamilton either but verstapen makes the egotist Lewis look like the Dalai Lama :) )

3 hours ago, Farlz said:

Ocon cost him a win by being a complete idiot, he was rightly furious.

Ocon had the racing line.

Young people and various classes of psycho do tend to easily get furious as they lack introspection. Rightly would see Max get some more penalty points and a hefty fine for his outside the cockpit behavior. 

I think what Ocon did was stupid. He didn't break any rules but using an ounce of common sense tells you not to do that.

BUT it wasn't against the rules. He was alongside and Max closed the door.

How Ocon got a penalty for that I don't know.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think what Ocon did was stupid. He didn't break any rules but using an ounce of common sense tells you not to do that.

BUT it wasn't against the rules. He was alongside and Max closed the door.

How Ocon got a penalty for that I don't know.

Strongly disagree. The leaders get far to easy a time as is with the blue flag rules. Them rubbing an ace's nose in it when they get a change should be fair game. Max getting away with murder yet again. At least Hamilton had the common sense to educate his dumb entitled ass in the post race pre-podium room.

25 minutes ago, villakram said:

Strongly disagree. The leaders get far to easy a time as is with the blue flag rules. Them rubbing an ace's nose in it when they get a change should be fair game. Max getting away with murder yet again. At least Hamilton had the common sense to educate his dumb entitled ass in the post race pre-podium room.

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with...

There's blame on both sides.  Max shouldn't have reacted the way he did after the race.  While it is completely understandable, it can't be condoned.  Although a grinning Ocon would have very much pushed the wrong buttons and the fan in me would have liked to see him get a proper box.

As for the manouver itself.  Ocon is completely in the wrong.  You are allowed to unlap yourself, but the onus is on you not to jeopardise the race leader while you're doing it.  Diving up the inside of an unexpectant race leader is unacceptable.  It's not a battle for position, and he rightly got punished for it at the time.  Verstappen didn't do anything wrong on the track.  He had track position and was fully entitled to do what he was doing.  The only thing I would say; and it echoes what Hamilton and others have said; is that experience would have told Verstappen to give more room on the off chance that Ocon is a prat, and it turned out Ocon was a prat.  So it's not a fault of Max per se, it's just that he put himself at the mercy of a driver who could make a bad decision.  Hamilton wouldn't have done that.  It's a case of 'yes you're in the right, but it's scant consolation'.  He'll learn from it.

I'm glad Ocon is getting a year off now though.  F**k him.

Have they taken the mirrors of the Red Bulls....??

Max is a very agressive driver he could have left room for Icon but he did what he always does and closed the door. I wonder how they would have ruled if that was 2 backmarkerx racing each other.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Have they taken the mirrors of the Red Bulls....??

Max is a very agressive driver he could have left room for Icon but he did what he always does and closed the door. I wonder how they would have ruled if that was 2 backmarkerx racing each other.

The entire point is that it wasn't 2 back markers racing each other. They weren't racing each other at all, hence he wasn't closing a door. He was already past and an attack from a back marker was unexpected. You need to separate any dislike of Max in this instance because this was not down to his aggression. It was a bone head manouver by Ocon.

Not F1, but an absolutely horrendous crash at the F3 in Macau this weekend. 

Apparently the driver (a 17 year old girl) is conscious as are some photographers and Marshalls who were caught up in it. 

Its a scary one though

Edited by Stevo985

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

How the hell did that happen?

I’m guessing she hit someone and got airborne before she managed to do any braking so carried all of her speed. 

Terrifying. I think she’s lucky she hit whatever that structure is that she hit. Seemed to have some give in it. 

11 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Went into the structure backwards by all accounts. Don’t know how. Incredible 

Yeah she went in flat. Basically as if the car was upside down hitting the floor... but backwards. There’s another video in slow mo from a different angle. I’ll try and find it. 

She he has a fractured back apparently but nobody critically injured which is astonishing really.