The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

In the fixture between these two teams a few weeks ago at St James' Park, Shelvey scissored an Everton player. I remember watching it at the time and thinking how much it reminded me of the Ben Mee challenge on Wesley. That was given a yellow and seemingly barely reviewed.

I was always in favour of VAR but I don't think it has led to an improvement in poor decisions and just seems to highlight the inconsistency and bias towards certain clubs and players. If that was Harry Kane who made the challenge do you think he would have been sent off?

• Like 1

On 15/03/2022 at 13:15, El Zen said:

One thing from the weekend I briefly mentioned in the match thread, but didn’t really bother discussing further:

Wasn’t Soucek offside for Yarmolenko’s goal, like identically to say Barkley(?) for the one McGinn had chalked off at the Emirates? 

I was going to see if Dale Johnson would mention that....

1 hour ago, Jono62 said:

Rodri does that tackle every week that Allan did tonight and never gets booked.

Is a select few players that get away with dodgy tackles like Fabinho, Rodri, Luke Shaw then the obvious divers like Salah

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Is a select few players that get away with dodgy tackles like Fabinho, Rodri, Luke Shaw then the obvious divers like Salah

Oh yeah, if Salah did the same as Gordon yesterday, he's getting a penalty.

Edited by Jono62

Best thing to do would be to scrap VAR, have 5 "ref's" with one in the middle as now and two behind the goal + 2 linespeople.

Every decision is made by each ref with a small "yes or no buzzer", it's anonymous but if 3 of the 5 ref's think it's a foul/pen/free kick etc, then that buzzes the central ref who blows his whistle.

It should take a split second to determine the decision, if only 2 of 5 or less ref's want a decision then the game plays on/decision is ignored. 

The beauty of football is that it's fluid, this solution takes away the stopping and starting, whilst also not being left to 1 person on the pitch and an anonymous person in some TV bunker.  It's a majority vs minority and that tends to work better and would help ref's with the difficult decisions. 

We already kind of had this solution a few years ago with the ref's behind the goal for Europa was it?  I thought it worked quite well. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Best thing to do would be to scrap VAR, have 5 "ref's" with one in the middle as now and two behind the goal + 2 linespeople.

Every decision is made by each ref with a small "yes or no buzzer", it's anonymous but if 3 of the 5 ref's think it's a foul/pen/free kick etc, then that buzzes the central ref who blows his whistle.

It should take a split second to determine the decision, if only 2 of 5 or less ref's want a decision then the game plays on/decision is ignored. 

The beauty of football is that it's fluid, this solution takes away the stopping and starting, whilst also not being left to 1 person on the pitch and an anonymous person in some TV bunker.  It's a majority vs minority and that tends to work better and would help ref's with the difficult decisions. 

We already kind of had this solution a few years ago with the ref's behind the goal for Europa was it?  I thought it worked quite well. 

This, but they turn around on big chairs like on The Voice. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The FA Cup shouldn't have VAR full stop. If you're not going to have it in non-PL venues, you can't have it in the reverse. Yet again, it saves Liverpool.

I disagree with this logic entirely as I've said before in here. Makes no sense. This logic means we shouldn't have goalline technology either.

Oh and the game was at the City Ground today

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Another fantastic performance in the Liverpool game

Granted I've only seen the highlights so I might be missing something, but the two big decisions seem to be right? The Jota goal and the Forest penalty shout. 

On field officials made the right calls and VAR didn't overturn them

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Granted I've only seen the highlights so I might be missing something, but the two big decisions seem to be right? The Jota goal and the Forest penalty shout. 

On field officials made the right calls and VAR didn't overturn them

The first angle they show he is offside clearly so they then get another angle from behind the play to make him look on.

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

The first angle they show he is offside clearly so they then get another angle from behind the play to make him look on.

That’s a very cynical way of looking at it 😂

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That’s a very cynical way of looking at it 😂

Well its the subjective way it's used!  As in who gains most from the decision! It's a bag of bollocks!

2 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Well its the subjective way it's used!  As in who gains most from the decision! It's a bag of bollocks!

I think in this case it really isn't subjective. The first angle just shows how maybe the lines are more necessary than we think. He's onside, that first picture definitely makes it look like he isn't

Â