Pre match chit chat

villa89

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Because he isn't a lone, central forward. 

Hey, it might work a treat and full credit if it does but it seems a poor decision at this point..

My fear is that our game at the moment relies so much on Davis holding the ball up and playing others in. When Davis can't do this, we play crap.

So playing with Adomah up front we'll have to play a different way, because he won't be able to do that.

The addition of Grealish may help that. But I'm nervous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Im actually quite interested to see what Anomah can offer up front. 

Always think him and Davis are quite similar, maybe this could solve a big problem?

I totally agree, but just wierd when we have 2 natural strikers sitting on the bench.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We have 2 forwards on the bench. While clearly not fully fit, being on the bench means they are fit enough to play some part in the game. 

One that this manager spent 10 **** million and is basically saying I ain't got a **** clue how to get anything out of him.

Should hand in his resignation for that alone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

My fear is that our game at the moment relies so much on Davis holding the ball up and playing others in. When Davis can't do this, we play crap.

So playing with Adomah up front we'll have to play a different way, because he won't be able to do that.

The addition of Grealish may help that. But I'm nervous.

You and me both.

I hope something good comes of the new approach out of interest, and like you say having Jack in behind could serve a purpose.

He finally brings in Grealish who can spot a run and still leaves Hogan on the bench. 

My prediction. Derby go 2-0 up, Bruce brings on Gabby to save the day, Gabby runs around like pisshead at free bar and gets booked within 5 mins of coming on. 

2-0 loss

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm struggling to think of two players less similar. What is it you see that's the same in both?

Strength, the way they position their bodies to shield the ball, both willing runners that chase the ball into corridors, both take up similar positions, both quick in transition.

There are a few others too, but they are the ones that spring to mind.

1 minute ago, mattyvilla said:

he's ill according to wm

great news then, in effect hes getting a complete rest.

EDIT - Obviously that does depend on how ill he is of course:mellow:

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

If we approach this game with a more possession based football and a more attacking mentality this formation (whatever it may be) might work.

If we try and play the usual Bruce way I fear it will not.

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Strength, the way they position their bodies to shield the ball, both willing runners that chase the ball into corridors, both take up similar positions, both quick in transition.

Got to say I'm with @OutByEaster? on this one mate. I think they are completely different players in every way. Adomah likes the game in front of him. 

For me the only way this formation is going to work is playing without a dedicated stiker, like Chelsea or Barcelona at times. They all need to be interchangeable. 

I can't believe I've just suggested we need to play like Barcelona, but you get my drift :crylaugh:

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

For me, Adomah is a player at his best running with and onto the ball, his weakness is his strength and inability to hold it up - I would say he's the weakest of the five midfield players in today's team at that for example - he's a Championship Ashley Young if you like.

Davis on the other hand is a big strong boy who is incredibly good at taking the ball with a defender on his back, holding it up and bringing people into play - he's got some other abilities, but his all round game isn't much more than okay - the thing is he's so good at holding the ball up that it elevates him - he's as good as I've seen in the country at it - almost Drogba like in the way he can hold off a defender. It's not just his biggest strength, it's a strength that absolutely dominates his game. 

For me Davis's strength is Adomah's weakness and vice versa. A big old fashioned number nine and a quick slender winger.

• Like 2

Just now, av1 said:

I can't believe I've just suggested we need to play like Barcelona, but you get my drift :crylaugh:

I think with these five midfielders, if we give that a go, it could just work at this level - they're a really good group. It seems unlikely we're suddenly going to change tack and do that though - it's certainly not the "Villa Way", but tiki-taka might just be our best bet today.

• Like 1