Pre match chit chat

villa89

Well this is a serious test for Steve Bruce and one I expect him to fail. We need a good performance and a win away from home against one of the better sides in the league but there's no indication that we can do either. 

Grealish should start but I think Elphick for samba and possibly elmo for Hutton will be the only changes. 

2-0 Derby, Weimann 33', 65'

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

Tough, tough game this - Derby are in really good form and they're a decent side. I have a feeling Bruce might set us up to make this one as tight as possible (even more so than he usually does) - and I wouldn't be too surprised to see us get a 0-0 or a 1-1. I think we can look poor against poor sides, because we can't control games using the ball, but I think we can surprise against better sides because we work hard without the ball.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I have a feeling Bruce might set us up to make this one as tight as possible (even more so than he usually does) 

I have this feeling too. Give them all the ball and hope to nick a goal on the counter, from a set piece or by hoofing it up to Davis will be the plan. Not something a team that wants to get automatic promotion should have to resort to imo. 

• Like 1

The real problem we will face is not our opponents, whoever they are, where they are, what form they are in home or away.

Our problem is now ourselves.

1 As Bruce has deployed Hutton or Elmo at RB, Bree nor RDL have not had enough game time to be relied on.

2 Playing an injured Samba „until he finally gets crocked“ now denies us of a CB giving us the honour of playing Elphick. Who‘s next? Richards? Samba as „joker up top“ to relieve Davis is now no longer an option.

3 over playing Whelan, Hourihane Onomah, Snod (also whilst injured), Davis & Adomah has effected ALL of their form

We had a backup team of

Steer

Bree RDL Samba (nobody for Taylor)

Elmo Lyden O‘Hare Grealish

McC Hogan

That XI (with Taylor or even Thor at LB) could hold its own in this league - Not expected to beat Wolves, But Millwall and the majority of the rest. (Not playing Bruce-Ball may I point out). Used correctly (as sub or start) we could be comfortable in using them.

Now we have

Bree RDL Grealish Lyden & O‘Hare lacking game time

Terry Jedi Kodjia Hogan Green & Samba injured

Snod Hourihane Whelan Adomah and Onomah out of form

and McC down under

What an ulmighty F**** up.

Whoever Bruce plays now, will not reflect their full potential.

SJ

Bree Chester RDL Taylor

Lansbury Hourihane

Elmo Grealish Adomah

Davis

However, half of them wont be able to deliver

• Like 1

I would expect to see a better performance from Villa in this game. The onus will be on Derby to come at Villa thereby leaving a bit more space for Villa to hit them on the break which is Bruce's preferred way of playing.

However I just can't see Villa stopping a rampant Derby from scoring so will go for a better performance than last Saturday but a narrow defeat.

There's no form that says Derby automatically win this one - if anything the most likely result is a score draw. It'll be close and I expect a reaction from the squad with a couple of different players starting. Maybe we get some luck and take this 1-2.  

Sorry but we have no chance in this game.

Samba‘s injury means Elphick in

we have a tired MF of Hourihane & Whelan

an off form Snod & Adomah

and

a shattered Davis

Question 1

How are we going to stop them scoring?

Question 2

How are we going to score?

Derby are getting their momentum going

Rowett v Bruce

say no more

Statistically this is as tight as they come.  Both sides are in and around the same positions in the various tables you could use to try and quantify them.  Whether that be league (4th v 5th), 8th at home v 7th away, form (3rd v 6th), goals scored (10th home v 10th away) or conceded (2nd home v 3rd away) etc.

Focussing on Derby's style, we can see that they attack through the middle more than any other side in the league.  So the centre backs will face a head-on assault, and players like Whelan will be even more important than they already are.  They come down the righthand side the least out of anyone and down the left 20th.  They also fancy long shots.  Nearly half (47%) of all their shots come from outside the 18 yard box which is joint most in the league (with Norwich & Fulham).  In comparison we take the least amount of shots outside the box with just 33%.  They've had 5 penalties this season which is the most of any side.  As you would expect of a side that attack through the middle, Derby average the least amount of attempted crosses of any side in the league with 16 per game (we average 20).  They also don't go in for long balls.  Only Villa, Norwich & Flum have fewer.  They also average a similar possession to us, so even the styles might be similar, as you might expect from 2 pragmatic managers.

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

Statistically this is as tight as they come.  Both sides are in and around the same positions in the various tables you could use to try and quantify them.  Whether that be league (4th v 5th), 8th at home v 7th away, form (3rd v 6th), goals scored (10th home v 10th away) or conceded (2nd home v 3rd away) etc.

Focussing on Derby's style, we can see that they attack through the middle more than any other side in the league.  So the centre backs will face a head-on assault, and players like Whelan will be even more important than they already are.  They come down the righthand side the least out of anyone and down the left 20th.  They also fancy long shots.  Nearly half (47%) of all their shots come from outside the 18 yard box which is joint most in the league (with Norwich & Fulham).  In comparison we take the least amount of shots outside the box with just 33%.  They've had 5 penalties this season which is the most of any side.  As you would expect of a side that attack through the middle, Derby average the least amount of attempted crosses of any side in the league with 16 per game (we average 20).  They also don't go in for long balls.  Only Villa, Norwich & Flum have fewer.  They also average a similar possession to us, so even the styles might be similar, as you might expect from 2 pragmatic managers.

Thanks for that, wont be many goals then i think. Shame Samba is injured as his height will be missed badly here

37 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Sorry but we have no chance in this game.

Samba‘s injury means Elphick in

we have a tired MF of Hourihane & Whelan

an off form Snod & Adomah

and

a shattered Davis

Question 1

How are we going to stop them scoring?

Question 2

How are we going to score?

Derby are getting their momentum going

Rowett v Bruce

say no more

Samba's injury could mean fit-again Jedinak in.  Hourihane was rested for Millwall.  Adomah has 5 goals in his last 5 games.  I agree about Davis and I think we need to look at that.  The rest of your post I'd say 'the same as every other week' and Rowett v Bruce just means it could be an ugly one.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Derby are a whopping 1 point ahead of us in the table.

WHAT A GULF IN ABILITIES.

Rowett got the Scum pushing for 6th with a shit squad

within a season he‘s got Derby to look like they mean business.

Bruce is underachieving consistantly since January.

So when you wake up from your dream you can tell me that we either finished in 2nd above Derby or beat them in the playoffs

You mention 1 pt above us.

please give me your opinion on Saturday anytime after 5pm when we‘ll be 4pts behind them

Thanks in advance

Edited by Grasshopper

4 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Rowett got the Scum pushing for 6th with a shit squad

within a season he‘s got Derby to look like they mean business.

Bruce is underachieving consistantly since January.

So when you wake up from your dream you can tell me that we either finished in 2nd above Derby or beat them in the playoffs

You mention 1 pt above us.

please give me your opinion on Saturday anytime after 5pm when we‘ll be 4pts behind them

Thanks in advance

Rowett seems a decent manager, not really disputing that.  He's taken playoff regulars Derby County into a playoff place - fair play.

He's just very similar in style to Bruce and is 1 point ahead of Bruce's team in the league.

So I don't

understand

the point of your

"say no more".

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

Samba's injury could mean fit-again Jedinak in. 

I hope so

Hourihane was rested for Millwall. 

we‘ll see if it wasnt too late a rest

Adomah has 5 goals in his last 5 games. 

Pedantic (I know)

v Millwall no goal

v Leeds no goal

2 bad team performances in which he didnt do a „Kodjia“

Which is the whole point. We simply cant rely on somebody doing a „Kodjia“ EVERY game

I agree about Davis and I think we need to look at that.  The rest of your post I'd say 'the same as every other week' and Rowett v Bruce just means it could be an ugly one.

From Rowetts perspective, I dont think ugly will come into it. They‘ll sit back when we have the ball, a hoof or pass will go astray, they‘ll go at us, we‘ll panic the ball away dropping deeper and deeper till they score.

Will someone „Kodjia“ us a point or 3? or will they score 2 or more?

thats the question