Iceland Denmark Israel Moldova
Croatia Czech Republic Bulgaria Liechtenstein
Netherlands Turkey Finland Malta
    Cyprus Andorra
    Estonia Kosovo
    Lithuania San Marino
      Gibraltar

What is the UEFA Nations League?

The UEFA Nations League is a new international tournament which will kick off in 2018. England will go up against other European nations in a league format for the chance to compete in the Final Four summer showpiece in 2019, where the winner will be crowned the Nations League champion. In a bid to improve the quality of international football and reduce the number of meaningless friendlies, UEFA - who have been planning the competition since 2011 - have devised a new foformat to add excitement and competition to country clashes.

How will it work?

There will be 55 teams involved, split into four leagues (A, B, C and D) based on their UEFA ranking in November 2017, at the end of the 2018 World Cup qualifiers.Within those four leagues, teams will be split again into groups, which will be made up of either three or four teams. Within each league, four teams will be promoted at the end of the cycle, while four teams will be relegated. They will then play at their new level in the next competition, which starts in 2020. The winners of the four groups in League A will qualify for the Final Four competition.

When will the Nations League take place?

The Nations League will take place across six matchdays, with double-headers during international breaks in September, October and November 2018.

What is the Final Four?

The Final Four is the climax to the Nations League. It will take place in June 2019 and pit the group winners from League A, B, C and D against each other. There will be a one-game semi-final stage followed by the final.

How will the Nations League affect European Qualifiers?

Euro qualifiers for 2020 will commence in March 2019, with double headers in the March, June, September, October and November international breaks.Teams will be split into five groups of five teams and five groups of six teams. In total, there will be 10 matchdays - the same number as now.The top two teams from the 10 groups qualify automatically for the Euros, while four more places at the finals will be awarded to play-off winners. Sixteen teams will compete in the play-offs. Each Nations League league gets four play-off spots. If the winner of a group has already qualified for the Euros, the next best team which has not qualified goes into the play-offs.Those sixteen teams will go into four groups, with the top team going to the Euros. The four teams play two one-off semi-finals and one one-off final to determine play-off winners.The UEFA Nations League rankings will also determine the composition of draw pots for subsequent European Qualifiers.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is literally the first I’ve heard of this, and I listen to a lot of 5live and Talk Sport. Is it real?

I'd never heard of it until it happened when I was a couple of seasons into FM17.  I had to Mooney it, and it was indeed real.

International football can **** off.

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

relegation and promotion  :crylaugh:

what happens if two countries that have massive tension are in same group? like serbia and albania? 

Usually they avoid them games line in qualifiers

10 hours ago, Hornso said:

Seems fairly pointless but credit to UEFA for trying to spark some life into International Friendlies.

Might be a failure but credit for trying. Plus as seeded the media wont complain about the mismatched dull 2-0 wins over Malta

10 hours ago, Hornso said:

Seems fairly pointless but credit to UEFA for trying to spark some life into International Friendlies.

seems fairly kind to UEFA...

i see it as UEFA trying to think of a way to make money on friendlies, its no longer a case of england playing brazil in qatar in a mega money meaningless friendly, its now england playing germany at wembley with some of the cash generated going in to the UEFA coffers, its all a bit clever and utterly shit

I like the idea in principle, I've long said the smaller nations in Europe need a better source of football than getting hammered by bigger nations in pointless (for them) qualifiers.

The problem is, this is such a complicated format it's hard to tell whether it will work or not.

• Like 1

The rich and powerful countries get their own little Champions League making it even easier for their FA's to sell out games and get even bigger money for commercials and TV.

While the smaller countries and their fans lose the the big games and the potential to make money.

This thing, and the abomination that is the new format for the Euro's.

Hate it, I don't trust UEFA or FIFA one bit

• Like 1

Pretty funny and sadly accurate article in one of the Swedish papers about the new format

(Google translated and then altered by me to make at least some sense)

The new experiment is a brain fartl

The EM qualifier as we know it is history. 

Today, Uefa's new experiment: Nations League.

What it is? 

A mathematically intricate maze to shake life in the national football.

Always described as a very conservative sport,  football is heading for many changes. Video Assistance will remould the judicial system. World Cup will be played between 782 teams. The Euro's is spread throughout Europe. Did you get it? You can forget that we're going to do the same thing we've done before.

Some news is better than others. 

Uefa Nations League, which is being drawn today and replacing parts of the European Championship qualifier, is ... yes, what is it really? The one who could answer it. 

We do this: Join a section of SVT's humor series The Skatan neighborhood. 

The sketch is about the character Ulf accompanying her wife, Kristina, home to her parents to celebrate Christmas Eve. In the beginning everything seems normal. The company drinks snaps and cheers but quite quickly everything becomes a little strange. Ulf is wondering if the family "always" eats chicken pot instead of herring and ham? Suddenly, the dad takes up a horn and blows it before he breaks into a self-composed song to welcome Ulf's welcome. Ulf finds a glass marble in the food, and everyone in the family congratulates him that he has "got a cat eye" and then he's forced to wear a "Christmas vest".

We will see two further features from the bizarre dinner. At one point, the whole family has taken on every fez because the"fezhour is here". At the next time, they send a cut plastic leg from one mannequin to one another around the table. When Ulf gets the leg and keeps it up, the dad announces that "Christmas is over".

Do not you understand anything? Good. Neither do I. Welcome to the Uefa Nations League.

Sweden in Division B

All 55 UEFA national teams are divided into four divisions. 12 teams in the A division, 12 teams in the B division, 15 teams in the C division, 16 teams in the D division. Sweden belongs to Division B.

Each division is divided into groups of three or four teams where everyone meets home and away. The group winners go up a division, the one who will last out. The four group segments in Division A then play a final game in June 2019, but can also qualify through their EURO qualifier group when the qualification begins in March 2019 (and then continues in November of the same year). From there 20 teams qualify from 10 groups. 

We take a water break and see here again in five minutes.

Are you back? Good. In March 2020, another final play will be played between the best-placed teams who have not qualified for the European Championships by qualifying - one from each division - with another spot in the pot. At the end of the fourth match, Alexander Ceferin, Uefa's president, enters with a fez on his head and blows in a horn. Then Michel Platini puts on a vest. Then the qualification is over.

Opens for surprising championship

What's the point with all this?

My guess is that one wants to inject new energy into the national football, which is increasingly overshadowed by the club team tournaments. You want to remove "meaningless friendlies" and make it easier for the traditionally best football nations to qualify (as they now have more chances, in the end it should go?).

Nice intention, but packaging does not just feel fuzzy, it's a brain fart. 

Oh, how sad to feel like that. How sad to be skeptical about the World Cup with 48 teams, how sad to think that video game technology has not come far enough to be introduced yet - and now this.

Can not you just do something that does not make you wrinkle your nose?

No, apparently not, so here comes reluctantly forced optimism. From this point of view something comes up well. Nations League will be a boost. The fight for relegation and relegation keeps us on the halster. The roads to the EM open for a more surprising championship and we do not have a day-to-day qualification. Camp Sweden storms city by city. Everyone else can go home.

The fezhour is here , give Sweden a really good group.

https://www.expressen.se/sport/kronikorer/noa-bachner/inte-bara-luddigt-utan-ett-hjarnslapp/

14 hours ago, andykeenan said:

The winners of the four groups in League A will qualify for the Final Four competition.

14 hours ago, andykeenan said:

The Final Four is the climax to the Nations League. It will take place in June 2019 and pit the group winners from League A, B, C and D against each other. There will be a one-game semi-final stage followed by the final.

I like to think I'm a pretty smart guy, but I just cannot make any sense of this...

7 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Scotland drawn in a group of 3. If they can't qualify now...

Also Serbia and Montenegro drawn together should be a laugh

You are kidding? Has that really happened?

Id Cyprus and Turkey are drawn in same group there will be massive tension too 

There is actually still normal european qualifiers in 2019.

What I don't understand is why don't they replace international friendlies with....nothing.

Don't have all these international breaks in August, September, October, November. End leagues early in May and just play 4-5 qualifiers then.

• Like 1

Â