UEFA Nations League 2019

mikeyp102

11 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Scotland drawn in a group of 3. If they can't qualify now...

Also Serbia and Montenegro drawn together should be a laugh

If you win a 3 team group you only get a guarentee of a play off position if you don't qualify from the main qualfiers.

I'm sure my dissertation was easier to work out than this!

League D

Group 1: Andorra, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Georgia.

Group 2: San Marino, Moldova, Luxembourg, Belarus.

Group 3: Kosovo, Malta, Faroe Islands, Azerbaijan

Group 4: Gibraltar, Liechtenstein, Armenia, 

League C

Group 1: Israel, Albania, Scotland.

Group 2: Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary.

Group 3: Cyprus, Bulgaria, Norway, Slovenia.

Group 4: Lithuania, Montenegro, Serbia, Romania.

League B 

Group 1: Czech Republic, Ukraine, Slovakia.

Group 2: Turkey, Sweden, Russia.

Group 3: Northern Ireland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Austria.

Group 4: Denmark, Republic of Ireland, Wales.

League A

Group 1: Netherlands, France, Germany.

Group 2: Iceland, Switzerland, Belgium.

Group 3: Poland, Italy, Portugal.

Group 4: Croatia, England, Spain.

Problem is I believe there will still be two week breaks in the season for this, that's surely the main issue with people?

Is it beyond the realms of possibility to play all league games on a Saturday, play a qualifier on the Tuesday/Weds and then go back to the league games the following weekend?

Sure that's how it worked with friendlies 10 years ago!

League A

Group 1: Netherlands, France, Germany.

Group 2: Iceland, Switzerland, Belgium.

Group 3: Poland, Italy, Portugal.

Group 4: Croatia, England, Spain.

League B

Group 1: Czech Republic, Ukraine, Slovakia.

Group 2: Turkey, Sweden, Russia.

Group 3: Northern Ireland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Austria.

Group 4: Denmark, Republic of Ireland, Wales

League C

Group 1: Israel, Albania, Scotland.

Group 2: Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary.

Group 3: Cyprus, Bulgaria, Norway, Slovenia.

League D

Group 1: Andorra, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Georgia.

Group 2: San Marino, Moldova, Luxembourg, Belarus.

Group 3: Kosovo, Malta, Faroe Islands, Azerbaijan

Group 4: Gibraltar, Liechtenstein, Armenia, Macedonia.

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Fancy us to finish bottom

Not with Giggs there you wont he will be bottom

This just seems too complicated so if you dont qualify from group if you do well here you qualify for play off? 

What a group that will be god help the fans

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Fancy us to finish bottom

Could be a good thing. If we get relegated then we should be able to win the C league next time  and qualify for the Euro's that way or at least have a much better chance of winning it. 

• Like 1

It’s a massively complicated system that I still can’t get my head around. I can’t help but feel like it’s intentionally insane to cover up what they really want which is the biggest teams having an easier route to the championship and to make more money from these games.

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I like to think I'm a pretty smart guy, but I just cannot make any sense of this...

Yeh those are literally two contradictory statements about The Fab Four being composed of either the 4 group winners in League A or the 4 "winners" of Leagues A to D. Turns out they do in fact mean the 4 League A group winners though.

I've just read up on the qualifying and they seemed to have removed the Nations League play off aspects (if there ever was such a thing, it's hard to tell). Now it is "simply" all of the 16 group winners of the Nations League who make up the European Qualifying play off spots, with slots taken by teams who have already qualified for the Euros (of which there will be quite a lot you would think) being taken by the next best ranked teams in their League, unless they have all qualified then it will go to the highest ranked non-qualifier in the next League. Each 4 way play off (semi-finals and final) stays within each original League such that League D is guaranteed to produce one qualified team. Simple!

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

It’s a massively complicated system that I still can’t get my head around. I can’t help but feel like it’s intentionally insane to cover up what they really want which is the biggest teams having an easier route to the championship and to make more money from these games.

3 spots go to weaker groups and 24 spots its easy them to qualify anyway

• 7 months later...
10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Surprised at all the negativity about Giggs.

He's following the route Mark Hughes took and that's worked out o.k for him in the last 15 years.

Think it was his smug entitlement that he deserved the United or the Swansea job with no experience but just his name

Also an asshole which doesn't help things ?

• Like 3

It's those things for sure but the fact remains that Giggs is perceived to have had that Billy Big Bollox attitude towards Wales. He pulled out of so many friendlies or far-flung away games in his day and always had the look of a Sir Alex idea.

I was glad for him last night. As first games go you can't get better than that really, apart from the Ramsey brain fart for their goal and he got a great reception from the crowd. He made a bold choice playing so many youngsters and it paid off big time. As he said himself post match though the problem is they just set a massive standard for themselves.

Â