SHA vs Villa: Discussion Thread

Jez

Le Nose goes for the Noses

Link

Birmingham v Aston Villa

12.30pm, Sunday, Sky Sports 1

The second-city derby is always a very fiery affair.

We see some big derbies in Manchester, Merseyside and North London, but this match runs them pretty close in terms of passion and what it means to the fans.

I'm a bit surprised by Birmingham's start to the season because I thought they'd have enough quality about them to not be struggling this season. They are three points above the bottom three going into the weekend's games, but I thought they might be doing a bit better than that.

I think the conflict and upheaval in the boardroom is having an effect. There's a lot of speculation about whether the club is going to be sold and about whether Steve Bruce is going to get a new contract.

Eventually those things can take their toll on results and that seems to be what has happened.

When I made my predictions at the start of the season and I was asked about the prospects for the promoted teams, I thought Birmingham would have the best chance of staying up.

There are goals in that side and they proved that with a good result against Wigan a couple of weeks ago, showing a lot of character to come back from being behind twice to win 3-2. I also like Steve Bruce as a manager and I think he goes about his job really well.

But I do think they've got some good Premier League players there. I think Olivier Kapo has been pretty good for them in the midfield and he looks to be a player that can make a difference for them.

Dog's abuse

There will also be a lot of attention on Liam Ridgewell in this game after he moved from Villa to Birmingham in the summer. There's not a lot of players that have made that move and it's tough when you've played for both sides and the local derby comes around.

He knows he's going to get dog's abuse from the Villa fans so he's got to be mentally strong. He'll do his best to try and play it all down, but it's a massive game for him, just as it's a massive game for the whole city.

I don't think Villa are in the greatest of form at the moment either. They are sat in mid-table, which is where I would expect them to be and I don't think they are any better than that.

They've certainly got some good quality young boys coming through and I think Ashley Young has taken to the Premier League very well after taking a little while to settle at Villa Park at the end of last season.

Gareth Barry has been in cracking form and I've also been very impressed by Martin Laursen. He had a long spell out with injury and he was very highly thought of before that.

People were questioning whether he would be able to come back from that injury, but he's certainly been pretty strong this season and he even got himself a goal last week. I think he lacks half-a-yard of pace, but he reads the game well and nobody has made a mug of him so far this season.

I also see John Carew as a big player for Villa and they've really missed him while he's been out injured. If he doesn't make it on Sunday then I can see Villa struggling a bit up front.

But while I expect Villa to be mid-table this season, I think a couple more signings could see them push on in the future. With the money they've got behind them now they could go out and buy some real quality, but I know Martin O'Neill wants to let the young boys come through as well.

Le Tiss predicts

HOME WIN - I've got a funny feeling that Birmingham are going to sneak it in this game. Villa might be ahead of them in the table, but home advantage is important in a derby and Birmingham will just have enough for them it at St Andrews - though I wouldn't fancy them at Villa Park. It's certainly going to be tight and these games don't tend to be high-scoring affairs. I'm going to go for a 1-0 win for the Blues.

Matt's main man

OLIVIER KAPO - I've been very impressed by him all year. He's been banging the goals in, which has been important because the strikers haven't been getting on the scoresheet as much as they should. From midfield he has been excellent and can really make a difference in a tight derby game.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha i remember when that sour faced applejohn 'le tosser' predicted only a few weeks ago chelsea would beat us.. and we ended up making them look poor!

...but le tosser knows everything about football i guess.. all them players of the year awards he won.. countless winners medals.. :?

Rant over!

"I remember the day I signed him when his father and his agent came to see me," said Ellis.

"We had a long meeting and he was going to be getting two-and-a-half times more than he was earning as an apprentice.

I wonder if Alan Sugar knows about this!! :winkold:

..... il get my coat!!

Whenever I read a report from him he seems to be against the villa for some reason!?!

**** him!

i know yeh thats the impression i get as well.

anyway im quite glad hes gone for them to win because he always seems to get it wrong so hopefully that will be the case on sunday.

Martin O'Neill feels Aston Villa's imports will soon understand the 'fuss' of Sunday's Midlands derby with Birmingham City.

The Villa boss expects his locally-born contingent, which includes the likes of Zat Knight and Gabriel Agbonlahor, to appreciate the importance of the match.

But O'Neill also believes his overseas players will quickly adapt to the special flavour associated with a local derby.

"I think that they would have a better feel for it, than perhaps some of the players who have been on foreign fields," O'Neill told the club's official website.

Fuss

"It doesn't mean you are going to play any better in the game. But during the course of it, if you understand what it is all about, it shouldn't hinder you anyway.

"Yet, interestingly, somebody steps in who doesn't know what all of this is about, for instance, in recent years at Celtic - because in the last 10 or 12 years or whatever, there were more foreign players coming in to play in the Old Firm derby.

"Where it used to be packed with Scotsmen, suddenly there are lots of players who initially would want to know what all of the fuss is about - but then soon got to know what all of the fuss is about.

"They will all get to know what all of the fuss is about on Sunday."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_2870375,00.html

They will if we don't win..

Just come to Villa talk! :P

I don't think Villa are in the greatest of form at the moment either. They are sat in mid-table, which is where I would expect them to be and I don't think they are any better than that.

he really knows nothing about football, our form isnt that bad at all. i knew he would predict the oily blosers

Carew/Young Update

Ashley Young and John Carew are still in the frame for Sunday's derby clash with Birmingham City.

In-form forward Young limped out of last weekend's 2-0 victory against Derby County with a groin injury.

But he could start at St Andrew's, with Martin O'Neill telling www.avfc.co.uk: "He didn't train today, but I'm hopeful he'll be alright for Sunday."

Carew has been out with a knee injury since the home victory against Everton in September. He has been back in training this week and is close to a return.

O'Neill added: "Unfortunately John missed the reserve game on Monday. But he's trained every single day since and he's making good progress. So we'll see."

Meanwhile, Young, Gareth Barry and Scott Carson have retained their places in the England squad for the friendly in Austria and the final Euro qualifier against Croatia.

www.avfc.co.uk