SHA vs Villa: Discussion Thread

Jez

I hate to bring this up again but if we are to win at the sty we are going to have to break what is now a 6 1/2 year stretch without an away win on the tv in the premiership. Oh how I would like to break that particular duck.

6 and a half years?? Let me just clarify that is what you mean before I correct you.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as I said. 6 and a half years since we won away in the premiership on tv. Last win was away to Charlton in 2001

shit your probably right. Was our win against SHA 2 years ago not televised?

it wasn't . Shitty statistic isn't it and one that is pretty unbelievable

as I said. 6 and a half years since we won away in the premiership on tv. Last win was away to Charlton in 2001

It is pretty shocking. But to be honest so is our away record in general over the past few years.

IMO this game will go one of two ways. We will outclass them and win convincingly. Every one will bang on about how great we are, how we are going places and what a great manager MON is.

Or our weaknesses will be terribly exposed and we will get humiliated. Then all hell will break loose on Vtalk!

I hate to bring this up again but if we are to win at the sty we are going to have to break what is now a 6 1/2 year stretch without an away win on the tv in the premiership. Oh how I would like to break that particular duck.

6 and a half years?? Let me just clarify that is what you mean before I correct you.

All Premiership games are televised somewhere in the world :) No duck to break.

It is pretty shocking. But to be honest so is our away record in general over the past few years.

IMO this game will go one of two ways. We will outclass them and win convincingly. Every one will bang on about how great we are, how we are going places and what a great manager MON is.

Or our weaknesses will be terribly exposed and we will get humiliated. Then all hell will break loose on Vtalk!

you reckon Birmingham City would 'humiliate' us? Not a chance, if we play crap it'll be a draw, no way do they have the ability to thrash us

you reckon Birmingham City would 'humiliate' us? Not a chance, if we play crap it'll be a draw, no way do they have the ability to thrash us

Sha couldn't humiliate us even if we only had 8 players on the pitch. They just aren't good enough.

I'm really looking forward to this game and am 100% sure we're going to get our first away win by beating them by at least 2 clear goals.

Andy Gray is apparently still a Villa fan:

The weekend's other derby at St. Andrew's is one in which I have a vested interest. I live in a mostly Blues area and a lot of my pals are Birmingham fans so I don't want Villa to lose because that leads to yours truly getting a fair bit of stick.

Two seasons ago Villa came out on top twice, but that followed a a fair few years of some poor results - partly because Birmingham always seemed to bully Villa out of the game. But this is a different Villa side with quite a tough defence that's a bit more up for a battle.

Villa will certainly fancy their chances - with Gaby Agbonlahor and Ashley Young capable of doing some real damage with their pace. The only real worry with this Villa side is that there aren't many goals - there's nobody likely to grab 20 this season.

But all they might need on Sunday is one goal and nobody will care how that goes in or where it comes from. It's all about the result and the bragging rights. And I for one would rather they went to the fans wearing claret and blue.

Click

Sha couldn't humiliate us even if we only had 8 players on the pitch. They just aren't good enough.

I'm really looking forward to this game and am 100% sure we're going to get our first away win by beating them by at least 2 clear goals.

They have never been good enough, still stuggle though dont we.

Form, players and magical martin mean nothing in these games. Always seem to stuggle against these feckers.

Would be good to thrash then and end the 6 year wait to win away on Sky though.

Villa stars will be fired up - O'Neill

Martin O'Neill knows Aston Villa's local players will be fired-up for their Premier League match against Birmingham this weekend.

However, the Villa boss insists all his players know how important the Second City derby at St Andrews is.

Gabriel Agbonlahor, Zat Knight, Luke Moore and Craig Gardner are all Birmingham born and bred - so they know just what is at stake in Sunday's match.

O'Neill told his club's official website: "I think that they would have a better feel for it, than perhaps some of the players who have been on foreign fields.

"It doesn't mean you are going to play any better in the game. But during the course of it, if you understand what it is all about, it shouldn't hinder you anyway.

"Yet, interestingly, somebody steps in who doesn't know what all of this is about, for instance, in recent years at Celtic - because in the last 10 or 12 years or whatever, there were more foreign players coming in to play in the Old Firm derby.

"Where it used to be packed with Scotsmen, suddenly there are lots of players who initially would want to know what all of the fuss is about - but then soon got to know what all of the fuss is about.

"They will all get to know what all of the fuss is about on Sunday."

O'Neill does not necessarily believe the derby experience Stiliyan Petrov has will prepare the Bulgarian for Sunday's match.

The Bulgarian international, a £6million signing from Celtic 15 months ago, has experienced the white-hot atmosphere of Old Firm derbies.

But O'Neill added: "It is a different game, different city, different everything."

Clicky...

Laursen out to make derby amends

Nov 9 2007

Aston Villa centre-half Martin Laursen's last memory of a Birmingham derby at St Andrew's was one he would rather forget.

The Danish international defender played in the 2-0 defeat by Birmingham City in December 2004, when his countryman Thomas Sorensen was guilty of gifting the home side at least one of their goals.

Clinton Morrison and David Dunn did the damage on that day but Laursen is adamant there will be no repeat of that mistake when the teams meet again, for the first time since April 2006, on Sunday afternoon.

The Villa side is now much changed in terms of personnel and is led by manager Martin O'Neill, himself no stranger to big derby occasions during his time in the Scottish Premier League with Celtic.

Yet Laursen believes there is no game like the Second City derby and he should know, having played in some of the most pressure-cooker derbies in the world during his spells with AC Milan against Serie A rivals Internazionale.

The defender, who is in the best form of his career at Villa, said: "I have only played once in the Blues-Villa derby. I remember the game at St Andrew's. It was in a game we lost after Thomas (Sorensen) made a mistake.

"I know how it is to everyone in terms of importance and it is a special game. You can feel on the pitch that it is a special game. The days before, the week before, you can feel from people that it is such a big occasion.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

"The fans really care about this game and we do as well but, at the end of the day, we have to treat it just as a normal game. If you win, you don't get four points - you only get three."

Laursen is also looking forward to meeting up with former team-mate Liam Ridgewell, whom he played alongside many times but who moved to Birmingham City last season because of a lack of opportunities at Villa Park.

He said: "Liam is a good player and a good defender. I was a bit surprised to see he is now captain at Blues because he is completely new and so young.

"He is, however, obviously a leader and a very good defender. He has a good eye for goal. To go somewhere else in the Premiership and play was the best thing for him."

Laursen, who has scored three goals this season and fired the opener in the win against Derby County last weekend, added: "Obviously, when players make a move like he has, it depends how you play as to whether it works or not.

"It is fine if you play like him and do well. If you don't play well and you struggle to play, then it can be a hard life."

Meanwhile, Villa's Bulgarian international Stiliyan Petrov believes his excellent record in Old Firm matches will stand him in good stead, should he get the nod to start in O'Neill's midfield line-up on Sunday.

The 28-year-old who joined Villa from Celtic for £6.5 million in the summer, has started Villa's last two matches after a somewhat indifferent spell of form.

He initially broke his way back into the fold after midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker was out through suspension and is delighted that since he started the last two matches, Villa have gone on to victory with wins over Bolton Wanderers and Derby County. Now he hopes to play his part in Sunday's game, knowing that by simply

scoring a goal he can become an instant Villa hero and win over the hearts of those who have been questioning him.

Petrov said: "Everyone has been talking about this game for a long time. To play in this derby game is something we are all looking forward to and hopefully I may have done enough over the last couple of weeks to start on Sunday. I have a very good record in Celtic-Rangers games, so I hope I can do that for Villa as well. I have scored one or two winners in the past for Celtic."

Petrov knows how scoring against Villa's biggest rivals can win over the fans - young defender Gary Cahill who is currently out on loan at Sheffield United, won legendary status overnight with the claret-and-blue faithful when he scored an incredible overhead kick against Steve Bruce's men two seasons ago at Villa Park.

The Bulgarian said: "To get the winner would be the dream. Even if I get in the starting team, then that will be great. I am sure it will be a full house again and an incredible atmosphere. It will be daunting out there but then I am used to the atmosphere of derbies from my time in Scotland. I am sure it will be a great day and I hope it is our fans who are happy at the final whistle."

Clicky

if petrov won it for it he would become a hero, lets hope so!

everytime blose have beaten us it has been from a mistake made by us they ahvent actually beaten us by pure skill goals like we have.

the 3-1 game we played brilliantly o'leary deserved credit for that game at least and so does baros. he was immense in that game

if petrov won it for it he would become a hero, lets hope so!

Similar to Phillips?

I never rated him and thought he was crap. Some did and I seem to remember a few opinions were glossed over after he scored at sty.