The Great Tower Block Fire Tragedy of London

TrentVilla

29 minutes ago, trekka said:

This isn't looking good at all. Bollocks - time to invest in a campervan. 

Bullshit isn't it. People put all their money into a property, then find out is a fire hazard and have to pay for the remediation work themselves! The developers, who have pad out billions in dividends over the years aren't impacted at all. They should at least shoulder some of the cost. 

It makes you not want to own a property, especially leasehold. I've often thought of living on a narrowboat. Might look into that in the future if I'm able to sell this flat! 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I started working in insurance in 1989 and one of the first things I was taught was cladding was very problematic.  Core is massively important.  Pir or Pur but basically it's going to burn. 

Sun Valley Fire, Atherstone on Stour fire, Center Parcs.  Its been known for 30 years that composite panels are dangerous and will cause massive fires. 

I just cannot understand how they are just not banned, unless insulated with a completely non combustible material. The manufacturers just can't be trusted, they come up with pretend 'systems' that are supposed to stop fire. And they come up with monikers for their panels that make it sound like they are fire safe. 

Ironically it's not the Government or property damage insurers who have been fully aware of the danger who are making it almost impossible to install flammable panels (someone always broke ranks and chased the premium) but Professional Indemnity insurers. It's a brave contractor who installs flammable panels when he has no cover if they burn. 

Exactly.

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

Bullshit isn't it. People put all their money into a property, then find out is a fire hazard and have to pay for the remediation work themselves! The developers, who have pad out billions in dividends over the years aren't impacted at all. They should at least shoulder some of the cost. 

It makes you not want to own a property, especially leasehold. I've often thought of living on a narrowboat. Might look into that in the future if I'm able to sell this flat! 

I'm still fuming and it has really put a downer on the evening. I guess I need to see how it pans out and with only owning 25% of the property, I would expect that the Housing Association will pick up the majority of the fee.  

Thanks for the prompt though, Alex.  It is appreciated.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, trekka said:

I'm still fuming and it has really put a downer on the evening. I guess I need to see how it pans out and with only owning 25% of the property, I would expect that the Housing Association will pick up the majority of the fee.  

Thanks for the prompt though, Alex.  It is appreciated.  

Sorry for dragging down your evening! 

The fact the HA own 75% should minimise any potential costs for you and it sounds at though your development has registered for the Government funding assistance. 

Fingers crossed it gets sorted quickly and without much financial pain

There are various threads on MSE about this issue as well as Twitter groups to follow (UK Cladding Action Group is one)

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Sorry for dragging down your evening! 

The fact the HA own 75% should minimise any potential costs for you and it sounds at though your development has registered for the Government funding assistance. 

Fingers crossed it gets sorted quickly and without much financial pain

There are various threads on MSE about this issue as well as Twitter groups to follow

Not at all :) It made me look (which I had to, to avoid surprises down the line).

Thanks again for prompting me.  The situation is rubbish but it should be alright in the end (who knows, I might even get nice new terrace walls without much cost).   I hope all turns out well for you too in your place. 

Edited by trekka
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Remember the tory crocodile tears?

And since they've delayed as much as possible, and passed legislation likely to financially ruin the only people involved that are not responsible, the leaseholders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Remember the tory crocodile tears?

And since they've delayed as much as possible, and passed legislation likely to financially ruin the only people involved that are not responsible, the leaseholders.

They’ve handled this Grenfell thing brilliantly from the start, as if Labour could do any better. Oh you know what? I’ll go and vote for them! 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

2nd cladding based fire in London in the last few weeks

Crazy thing is, the leaseholders at the development in Poplar have to pay huge sums of money for a 24 hour 'waking watch' to monitor for fires and keep them safe. They didn't even spot this! It was the residents themselves who organised the evacuation. 

Its all one huge scam from the Government, the developers, the freeholders/landlords, the managing agents and the insurers. The people getting shafted and pushed to bankruptcy and suicide are the leaseholders, the innocent party at the bottom of the pile. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xela said:

2nd cladding based fire in London in the last few weeks

Crazy thing is, the leaseholders at the development in Poplar have to pay huge sums of money for a 24 hour 'waking watch' to monitor for fires and keep them safe. They didn't even spot this! It was the residents themselves who organised the evacuation. 

Its all one huge scam from the Government, the developers, the freeholders/landlords, the managing agents and the insurers. The people getting shafted and pushed to bankruptcy and suicide are the leaseholders, the innocent party at the bottom of the pile. 

I genuinely feel sorry for them. There can’t be much that’s more stressful than knowing your home is unsafe, unsaleable, and potentially going to bankrupt you.

It’s a scandal in the bleakest starkest way.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I genuinely feel sorry for them. There can’t be much that’s more stressful than knowing your home is unsafe, unsaleable, and potentially going to bankrupt you.

It’s a scandal in the bleakest starkest way.

It is a real scandal. Its bad enough that your flat is unsafe, unsellable and might present you with a life changing bill but on top of that you are having to pay extra (hugely inflated insurance premiums, ineffective 'waking watches' and higher service charges) monthly amounts on top of that! Talk about insult to injury.

The good news, if I can call it that, is that it is starting to get real traction in the press now, which can only be a positive step. 

Once lockdowns are over there will be protests galore. I think there is one in London tomorrow (Isle of Dogs)

• Like 1

So, the residents of the block in Poplar are being financially penalised further by having to pay additional waking watch patrols! Talk about further insult to injury. Staggering abuse of the innocent. 

• Sad 2

I still have the waking watch where I live.  The management company have been busy installing new fire alarms in all of the blocks and have installed new fire doors etc.  The next stage is for them to install new wireless heat sensors in every apartment.

I dread to think what the final bill will be (even though I'm only on a 25% mortgage) - apparently they need to replace all of the timber balconies etc too.  I'm still thinking about that motorhome.   

The latest I have on my place:

"Encore is awaiting quotes for work to replace the timber material on balconies.  This work will need to be completed to allow a EWS1 form to get the required rating.  It is important to note that this work will not be covered by Government funding". 

The Waking Watch continues (the buggers continually slam doors throughout the night too :bang:).

• Sad 2

42 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I’m surprised none of the residents have been driven to committing arson yet.

Why are the developers not being held directly responsible?

A cynic might suggest that the developers and freeholders tend to donate larger sums to the Conservative party than the leaderholders do.

• Like 2

The problem, is that the developers met the safety criteria at the time of build.  The Government changed the safety criteria following Grenfell.  It's a complete shitshow.  

I think I read one politician say to pay for all costs now and then sue the developers to get it back.  How can they sue when they met the rules at the time?  The Government needs to understand that people like me are facing deep uncertainty and needs to do something now.   I'm still thinking about that Motorhome. 

Edited by trekka

Â