The Great Tower Block Fire Tragedy of London

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, trekka said:

The problem, is that the developers met the safety criteria at the time of build.  The Government changed the safety criteria following Grenfell.  It's a complete shitshow.  

I think I read one politician say to pay for all costs now and then sue the developers to get it back.  How can they sue when they met the rules at the time?  The Government needs to understand that people like me are facing deep uncertainty and needs to do something now.   I'm still thinking about that Motorhome. 

Many of them didn’t meet the requirements of the time. I read a thing about some flats by Arsenal’s ground. Something like the club own the freehold, but another company owns the lease and built the flats and another company installed the cladding. The residents just get passed from one to another when they try to get something done - “it’s not our responsibility”. The residents can’t sell, can’t afford the costs and those responsible know it and do nothing. Shameful.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

How the **** does a waking watch cost £47k per month? What percentage of that do you think goes to the people doing the work, and what percentage do you think goes to scumbags profiteering from tragedy and people's fears? Absolute disgusting. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

How the **** does a waking watch cost £47k per month? What percentage of that do you think goes to the people doing the work, and what percentage do you think goes to scumbags profiteering from tragedy and people's fears? Absolute disgusting. 

Let’s say there are always 4 people on patrol, 24/7

Let’s say they are getting £10 an hour, well above minimum wage, for walking around a building.

That comes in at just under £30,000

So, either they are flooding the building with fire wardens, or they are paying double minimum wage, or some scumbag is creaming another £17,000 a month pure profit of the residents.

If you can make even more profit than you used to, why on earth would you be in a hurry to fix the problem?

It’s a money making scam, the police should be all over this, the government should be all over it. Unfortunately, what we have here is big companies that could be making a loss, have actually found a way to turn a profit from a disaster. It ain’t changing any time soon. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, a m ole said:

Why are the developers not being held directly responsible?

The recent fire safety bill, recently passed at the 5th attempt, makes it the direct responsibility of the leaseholder to pay for the remediation work. 

Its a scandal. 

• Like 1

An example of a bill to simply replace a timber clad balcony 

- 'Consultancy' fee

- 'Management' fee

- VAT (why haven't the Government removed VAT for this type of work?

Every **** has their nose in the trough making money 

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

An example of a bill to simply replace a timber clad balcony 

- 'Consultancy' fee

- 'Management' fee

- VAT (why haven't the Government removed VAT for this type of work?

Every **** has their nose in the trough making money 

The management fee, includes a percentage of the VAT and the ‘consultancy’? 😂

I also see it’s Kier doing the consultancy- typical Labour.

• Haha 1

That ‘consultant fee’.

You’ll be wanting an architectural firm to specify a product and be liable for it. Their PI cover, their liability cover will need to be in the millions. They’ll want a structural engineer to confirm the fixings for the cladding aren’t going to allow it to blow away or fall off the next time its windy, they will also have liability and therefore they will also require to prove they have millions of pounds of insurance. I don’t think I’ve worked on a job that required less than £5,000,000 insurance cover, and that was basically decorating the inside of a shop.

There will then be mechanical engineers and electrical engineers for the alarm system. Then a QS or cost consultant of some sort. A Principal Designer to make sure they are all doing what they are supposed to be.

If that fee is what I think it is, design consultants’ fees, then it’s about bang on.

But here’s the thing. It’s that much because all those consultants will be liable, their insurers will be liable, if at any point in the future it transpires that they **** up.

Which brings us full circle, to why aren’t the original developers and their consultants that **** up, responsible?

The law hasn’t changed, if the doors and the alarms need to be changed, then they were never right in the first place. So that’s an insurance claim.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Let’s say there are always 4 people on patrol, 24/7

Let’s say they are getting £10 an hour, well above minimum wage, for walking around a building.

That comes in at just under £30,000

So, either they are flooding the building with fire wardens, or they are paying double minimum wage, or some scumbag is creaming another £17,000 a month pure profit of the residents.

If you can make even more profit than you used to, why on earth would you be in a hurry to fix the problem?

It’s a money making scam, the police should be all over this, the government should be all over it. Unfortunately, what we have here is big companies that could be making a loss, have actually found a way to turn a profit from a disaster. It ain’t changing any time soon. 

Turns out some of the waking watch companies have the same registered address and common shareholding as the property management companies. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Xela said:

Scandal

So that would put my figure at about £24K if my place is a similar type of property and has similar work required (with me owning 25%).  Marvellous. 

I've noticed that a few places in this development are now desperately trying to sell on a cash basis to avoid any big bills down the line.  

Edited by trekka
  • Sad 2

Had a bloke round today to fit a new heat sensor / wireless alarm.  Big bloody thing it is but if it removes the need for the Waking Watch I'm all for it.  The chap seems to think that they're almost done in the main blocks and that the Waking Watch will come to an end on Sunday. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, trekka said:

The chap seems to think that they're almost done in the main blocks and that the Waking Watch will come to an end on Sunday. 

The loss of income to the freeholders is the real tragedy here if you ask me.

Edited by Davkaus

44 minutes ago, trekka said:

Had a bloke round today to fit a new heat sensor / wireless alarm.  Big bloody thing it is but if it removes the need for the Waking Watch I'm all for it.  The chap seems to think that they're almost done in the main blocks and that the Waking Watch will come to an end on Sunday. 

Fingers crossed. Walking watch is one of the biggest scams ever. 

Â