General Election 2017

ender4

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I don't know mate but I think you need to accept that Labour have lost the election even if they got more seats than expected. They cant form a govt. 

And the current government lost their majority. 

Without a coalition, they cannot form one either and if it they do, it will be about as 'strong and stable' as newborn giraffe on ice. 

Labour have defied all expectation in a matter of weeks, what do you think will happen if this trend continues for months? 

• Like 1

I'm delighted. If anything this has proven that our society isn't as polarised as May/Corbyn would've liked it to be. We've got more votes in the centre, less votes for SNP/UKIP and a possibility of coalitions. The sheer fact that no one party has a majority gives me hope. Well done to Corbyn for a good campaign (bar Abbott), well done to Ruth Davidson for putting the SNP down, and well done to Lib Dems who actually gained on the forecast.

May can stick it and leave. However I'm not so sure if Johnson will be much better - I would propel Ruth Davidson to the front of that party if I were them. She's actually got a brain.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Personally I would rather have either a labour majority or a Tory majority than this. This is the worse case scenario

I disagree. A thumping Tory majority would give them license to carry on with the cuts they they have done for the last 7 years. A minority govt would hold the right wing headbangers in the tory party in check.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

How can the Tories with 318?

And the DUP forming a coalition with them isn't that likely considering the DUP position on Brexit.

If conservatives cant win with 318 then how can labour with 261? Even with the SNP they still have less than 300 seats 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

If conservatives cant win with 318 then how can labour with 261? Even with the SNP they still have less than 300 seats 

Not really sure of the relevance of your question.

I never said Labour can win or form a government.

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

I would propel Ruth Davidson to the front of that party if I were them. She's actually got a brain.

And most importantly, she's a moderate voice.

• Like 1

Just now, wazzap24 said:

And the current government lost their majority. 

Without a coalition, they cannot form one either and if it they do, it will be about as 'strong and stable' as newborn giraffe on ice. 

Labour have defied all expectation in a matter of weeks, what do you think will happen if this trend continues for months? 

They got the young vote and two things backfired on the Torys social care and police cuts. My neighbour whos a policeman had voted Conservatives all his life voted for Labour. Another election another manifesto another leader. I don't know but if this trend will continue 

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Not really sure of the relevance of your question.

I never said Labour can win or form a government.

Because those are the only two options stefan? So what are you suggesting having no government in place? 

• Like 1

Just now, magnkarl said:

I'm delighted. If anything this has proven that our society isn't as polarised as May/Corbyn would've liked it to be. We've got more votes in the centre, less votes for SNP/UKIP and a possibility of coalitions. The sheer fact that no one party has a majority gives me hope. Well done to Corbyn for a good campaign (bar Abbott), well done to Ruth Davidson for putting the SNP down, and well done to Lib Dems who actually gained on the forecast.

May can stick it and leave. However I'm not so sure if Johnson will be much better - I would propel Ruth Davidson to the front of that party if I were them. She's actually got a brain.

I think Johnson is a great wingman - he can destroy people with is speeches, his clever little quips - but I think he is to error prone to be PM - and I think he would very quickly get on people nerves.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

I disagree. A thumping Tory majority would give them license to carry on with the cuts they they have done for the last 7 years. A minority govt would hold the right wing headbangers in the tory party in check.

I see that but it s just creates more uncertainty

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Personally I would rather have either a labour majority or a Tory majority than this. This is the worse case scenario

Absolutely agree Paul I get people want tories out but this is going to cause so many more problems as nothing is ever going to be passed through parliament. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

In context, I'd say the Tories 'lost' this election, yes.

They had a majority, they called a needless election, they lost their majority.

Figures show big swings to Labour across the country. Youth vote up 25%-30%. And they're engaged because they've seen they make a difference.

I'd be worried if I was a Tory.

I'd be worried if you were a Tory :P

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Because those are the only two options stefan? So what are you suggesting having no government in place? 

Are people actually reading what I'm writing?!

I'm stating what the most likely situations will be.

Tory + UDP is only likely if the Tories make concessions around Brexit to the UDP, which will anger backbenchers and make May's already very shaky position much worse.

Tory minority is possible - especially if the backbenchers rebel against Brexit concessions.

Rainbow coalition is out of the question unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

She does seem articulate and well thought of , but I suspect for now she is better served trying to carry on convincing Scotland to remain and maybe also to vote Tory

I could see her as Leaders eventually but not just now

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Eric Pickles is a fat fat **** fat word removed

I was kinda waiting for the whole platform, to collapse from view.  I think you are being a bit harsh as he has that hormone thing,  the fat word removed hormone,  I am not Doctor but he got that bad.

Â