• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

Liberation pictures now appearing in the Melitopol direction, 5 villages today apparently. Good news.

Also several towns around Soledar and Bakhmut have been liberated.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, AshVilla said:

I can't help but think Russia will weaponise the nuclear power plant in Zaporizhia at some point just like they have the dam.

Weaponise it how exactly? Blow it up? No chance of that happening. 

15 hours ago, AshVilla said:

I can't help but think Russia will weaponise the nuclear power plant in Zaporizhia at some point just like they have the dam.

Personally I don't see it. It will mean that China will engage Russia in the East, and NATO will be in Ukraine in less than 2 days. 

No one, not even China, is in support of Russia at the UN. Only a few rabid dictatorships remain on their side.

What's more likely to happen is that Russia's military will continue burning out to the point where one or two generals will have had enough and the FSB will have to step in to stop Putin and his buddies. More and more Russian soldiers are surrendering to Ukraine and being given the choice to join the Russian opposition, and frankly this will eventually lead to a force big enough to get quite far into Russia.

Also the Enerhodar plant would easily spill into Russia and NATO, I doubt Putin would want either.

19 hours ago, AshVilla said:

If anything nuclear happens in Ukraine all the fallout will blow NE into Russia due to the prevailing winds. Even the Russians aren't that stupid

5 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Im not sure. Weren’t they digging trenches on radioactive soil in Chernobyl ?

plus blew up a dam destroying their own trenches and cut off water supply to Crimea.

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Im not sure. Weren’t they digging trenches on radioactive soil in Chernobyl ?

It was even worse than that.  

As trees grow they stuck up radioactive particles.  They remain relatively safe unless the wood is burnt.  If that happens the smoke is highly radioactive.  

Wild animals in the area are more radioactive than anywhere else.  You wouldn't want to eat a wild deer. 

Domesticated dogs hang around Chernobyl for food scraps.  The workers avoid them because their fur catches radioactive particles. 

So...........

Russian soldiers dug trenches, built fires, cooked game on the fires whilst stroking the nice doggies.  🤣

• Haha 2

I doubt they'll weaponise the nuclear power plant, but I very much doubt Ukraine will get it back intact if they liberate that area. I'm no expert on nuclear power plants but only a few of the reactors are running, and I imagine there's plenty of ways you can damage an inactive reactor without causing a meltdown.

Anyway, the counter-offensive seems to be ticking along nicely from what I've been reading so far. Ukraine hasn't actually reached the proper Russian lines of defence yet so we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, but they're making steady progress.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

The amount of times I’ve read that Ukraine are making progressive their troops should be in central Kazakhstan by now.

Well it’s extremely slow progress taking tiny amounts of land which hardly make a dent compared to how much land Russia have taken. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

The amount of times I’ve read that Ukraine are making progressive their troops should be in central Kazakhstan by now.

Russia have 40 -50 km of defences at the front line, that's depth of defences.

An attack against prepared defenders is slow. And there will be high losses initially.

It seems that several Bradleys have been lost, which, as above, is to be expected. What's impressive though is that survival rates for crew appear to be much higher than for the equivalent BMPs they had been using.

Crews are hard to replace. Bradleys, on the other hand... there are thousands of them knocking about.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Genie said:

The front line is about 600 miles and the Ukrainians are attacking in many locations.  

Â