Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Just watching the news, hearing about war crimes and seeing the bodybags.

Question; does the NKVD still exist in Russia?

I remember them from the old Sven Hassell war books, they were equally as bad as the Gestapo back then.

Ceased to be in 1946

• Like 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Just watching the news, hearing about war crimes and seeing the bodybags.

Question; does the NKVD still exist in Russia?

I remember them from the old Sven Hassell war books, they were equally as bad as the Gestapo back then.

edit, I meant SS not Gestapo.

Just now, rjw63 said:

You wouldn't know it.

Rebranded to something else, which then rebranded to the KGB in the 50s, which then rebranded to the FSB at the start of the non-Soviet era.

All the same thing really though

FSB is the internal Federal Security Service equivalent of MI5 and  SVR & GRU are their MI6 type external agenies

• Thanks 1

New plan. Play them at their own game.

Send a few serious fighter jets/ squads from US and NATO to the area and destroy the living sh*t out of all Russian hardwear.

Then deny it. When Russia show proof, deny it. When Russia get evidence, say it's faked.

Job done.

So none of us want a nuclear war, but what is the red line before NATO formally get involved. Is there one, short of Russian aggression directly against a NATO member, can they get away with literally anything in Ukraine? 

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Most of what you’ve listed as to why Russia failed is exactly why he said fighting big tank battles on European land mass are over … and they are ..he wasn’t saying tanks are redundant , only someone will fully trying not to understand things fully would think that

I typed out a detailed reply, to explain why you’re missing some information, then thought better of it. I’ll tell you in the pub, next time we get a chance. 🍻.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

So none of us want a nuclear war, but what is the red line before NATO formally get involved. Is there one, short of Russian aggression directly against a NATO member, can they get away with literally anything in Ukraine? 

The red line is the NATO border, or using a nuke, maybe. Neither of which will be crossed, because Russia knows they are the red lines. Otherwise, sadly, Ukraine could be a smouldering crater and they will only be getting material support line they are now.

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

Can’t help thinking these are related 😂

If Russia starts lobbing anything explosive at Finland then it’s a regional war. 

Finland will be far readier for any Russian aggression than most. They've been living with this threat for over 80 years. If Russia attack Finland they better get ready for serious casualty numbers. 

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

Can’t help thinking these are related 😂

If Russia starts lobbing anything explosive at Finland then it’s a regional war. 

I can't think of a better advert for joining NATO than what has happened to Ukraine, they should be in as quickly as is at all possible.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I can't think of a better advert for joining NATO than what has happened to Ukraine, they should be in as quickly as is at all possible.

Yep....I'd also add it's imperative that Countries do not fear Russia or what's happening in Ukraine. Russia are struggling in the South no way can they sustain a 'special operation' in the north. The other thing is Russia shouldn't be telling Countries far more economically balanced than them what to do. It's a piss take. They really have become the arsehole of Europe. 

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Exactly. If Russia is defeated in Ukraine then Lukashenko will fall in Belarus, where he’s only propped up by Russian military support. Aside from Serbia (which is planning to reignite the war in Bosnia any minute now) everything west of Russia will be NATO.

The example of a successful Ukraine & Belarus is the best way to bring change in Russia, and a chance to correct the errors of the post-Cold War days. Even if that’s wishful thinking, it is a chance to put all the people’s of Europe securely beyond the reach of Russian predation. 

10 minutes ago, Awol said:

Aside from Serbia (which is planning to reignite the war in Bosnia any minute now) everything west of Russia will be NATO.

My limited understanding was that it was the Serbian separatists in the Republika Srpska region mainly making the noises , rather than Serbia as a whole ?

there are a few hundred EU peacekeeping troops in Sarajevo , I guess if it does kick off any casualties in those troops would be a big deal to the EU countries ? 

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

My limited understanding was that it was the Serbian separatists in the Republika Srpska region mainly making the noises , rather than Serbia as a whole ?

there are a few hundred EU peacekeeping troops in Sarajevo , I guess if it does kick off any casualties in those troops would be a big deal to the EU countries ? 

That’s true, but as the saying goes if you’ve got a dog don’t bark yourself.  EU has nothing like enough forces in Bosnia to contain more than an outbreak of mild swearing. The EU couldn’t deal with it in the 90’s and had to bring NATO (the Americans) in, the capability side of that problem hasn’t improved. 

Â