Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

1 hour ago, Awol said:

This is a really thoughtful thread on the military situation, options for Russia and what the west needs to think about now. 

I wonder how many % of their committed equipment, men and supply capacity Russia has actually lost. Looking at how hard they're being outfought everywhere the damage must be phenomenal. Even if they backfill with Syrian\Libyan mercenaries - what are they going to pay them with?

Surely Russia trying to save face by employing radical foreign fighters from these places to kill 'brethren' will be seen in Russia as even more distasteful?

I hope the next B2 rocket hits straight into Kadyrov's command vehicle.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

2 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I wonder how many % of their committed equipment, men and supply capacity Russia has actually lost. Looking at how hard they're being outfought everywhere the damage must be phenomenal. Even if they backfill with Syrian\Libyan mercenaries - what are they going to pay them with?

Surely Russia trying to save face by employing radical foreign fighters from these places to kill 'brethren' will be seen in Russia as even more distasteful?

I hope the next B2 rocket hits straight into Kadyrov's command vehicle.

Russia has undoubtedly lost a lot of kit but conversely the Ukrainians have too. Although the Ukrainians are fighting hard the Russians are still making progress, however slowly.

The Syrians et al. are cannon fodder for the urban battle. If they try to take Kyiv by assaulting it then Russia won’t need to worry about paying them. 

41 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I just fear it could end up being a war by proxy with the west on one side and Russia and China on the other. And the Ukrainians in the middle.

It’s already that.

Its the same war that’s been fought by proxy for almost 80 years now. Korea, Vietnam, Cuba, Afghanistan, the Balkans and now Ukraine.

No need to fear it becoming what it already clearly is.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Awol said:

Russia has undoubtedly lost a lot of kit but conversely the Ukrainians have too. Although the Ukrainians are fighting hard the Russians are still making progress, however slowly.

The Syrians et al. are cannon fodder for the urban battle. If they try to take Kyiv by assaulting it then Russia won’t need to worry about paying them. 

I guess the question is who can get supplied in the best manner, Ukraine through its NATO neighbours or Russia through what seems to be only really Belarus, Syria and private merc armies..

I don't see how Russia is going to be able to move much further West, and I'm not sure how many missiles they have left to lob at cities like Lviv.. Odessa together with West-Ukraine is still a lot of people who will defend their country above all.

Think of the resupply columns going through the second largest country in Europe towards i.e a front up against Lviv, it'll be a tactical nightmare to try to avoid being ambushed with such a lengthy supply train. West Ukraine is also by far the most forested areas of the country - albeit not having a lot of it.

I see financial analysts saying Russia will be technically bankrupt tomorrow. I'm not sure how much fight they have left in them.

Edited by magnkarl

46 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I see financial analysts saying Russia will be technically bankrupt tomorrow. I'm not sure how much fight they have left in them.

That’s the plan. Conflict termination is the big risk area, getting Russia over the hump of losing the war without using a nuke. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bickster said:

Brave woman

A Russian journalist who burst on to a live TV news programme to protest against the war in Ukraine has been reported missing overnight. 

Marina Ovsyannikova, an editor at state-controlled Channel 1, was detained after she ran on to the set on Monday holding an anti-war sign.

The sign, clearly visible for a few seconds, read: "No war, stop the war, don't believe the propaganda, they are lying to you here."

Her whereabouts are now unknown.

BBC

Took one for the team.

What a **** clown. Stick to Call of Duty, fella. If you were stupid enough to do this, I guess it makes sense that you'd also be shameless enough to talk to the news about it :D 

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-briton-who-travelled-to-warzone-to-join-military-fight-against-russia-leaves-over-suicide-mission-fears-12566254

A British man who travelled to Ukraine to join the military fight against Russia's invasion says he left the warzone amid fears he was facing a "suicide mission".

Ben Spann told Sky News he did not tell his wife or 16-year-old son that he was going to Ukraine to take up arms, despite the fact he has never served in the military and has no ties to the war-torn country.

Turns out war is scary, and there's not much use rocking up as a completely untrained liability.

• Like 2

I’m sure I heard some years back that in China their stock market is quite different to other places. The main difference being that a lot of the trading and ownership of stocks and shares is done by Joe public and less by big city traders.

They were encouraged some years ago to buy what they could and even take out loans to do so.

A crash will hit the public very quickly if I’ve remembered it all correctly.

Speaking to a Russian speaking friend and he told me that most Russians are still unaware as a majority arent that technically savvy and wont have a VPN to check international news. He said the people are probably still 70% in favour of Putin and the war

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Speaking to a Russian speaking friend and he told me that most Russians are still unaware as a majority arent that technically savvy and wont have a VPN to check international news. He said the people are probably still 70% in favour of Putin and the war

Despite the fact they can’t access independent news sources you’d think the fact they are being cut off from them might be enough to generate suspicion all was not as it seems.

• Like 1

Â