Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

This is the video for me. I've only watched it a couple of times because it just troubles me so much.

The shelling and shooting are horrific, but they're almost like scenes from the movies. They're just so familiar yet so alien.

This, though... This brings the reality of it all into sharp focus.

EDIT - hadn't realise the tweet contained a swear. Hopefully the spoiler box makes it ok.

Reveal hidden contents

Watched that earlier mate, horrible. Can not imagine how hard that must be, knowing you may never see your child again.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

15 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

This is the video for me. I've only watched it a couple of times because it just troubles me so much.

The shelling and shooting are horrific, but they're almost like scenes from the movies. They're just so familiar yet so alien.

EDIT - hadn't realise the tweet contained a swear. Hopefully the spoiler box makes it ok.

Reveal hidden contents

Before having kids, I'd have watched that and felt bad. Now, **** me, it breaks something inside. I can't do it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Reveal hidden contents

I’ve looked at the tweet and there’s no way I can hit play. Heartbreaking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Rumours of ceasefire talks

Talks originally discussed to be held in Minsk no less.  The same Minsk that is the capital of Belarus and who helped the Russians invade.  The Ukrainians are cautious and are pushing for talks in Poland.

I can't say I blame them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trekka said:

UN Security Council set to vote on draft resolution.   UN Security Council allows Russia to have a veto.  

Now all eyes are on China. 

China abstains.  A slap in the face and the only reason why the motion wasn't voted for was because of the single veto from Russia themselves.  They are now completely isolated and moves are afoot to move it to the General Assembly where Russia does not have a veto.  

• Like 1

So apparently The United Nations have drafted a resolution to vote on and after much squabbling made some revisions including changing the words condemning in the strongest terms with deploring in the strongest terms. 

But apparently 9 votes are required from the 15 members for a resolution to pass. However, the five permanent members - the US, UK, France, Russia and China - all have veto power. 

Can someone please tell me why they are even bothering let alone squabbling over minor changes to language? 

OK so it seems I'm late to the party 😂😂

Edited by sidcow

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So apparently The United Nations have drafted a resolution to vote on and after much squabbling made some revisions including changing the words condemning in the strongest terms with deploring in the strongest terms. 

But apparently 9 votes are required from the 15 members for a resolution to pass. However, the five permanent members - the US, UK, France, Russia and China - all have veto power. 

Can someone please tell me why they are even bothering let alone squabbling over minor changes to language? 

Things are much easier with a dictator tbh

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They have literally spent hours deciding to change one word, knowing full well that Russia will veto it, rendering the whole thing pointless… I,… I don’t even know where to start with my feelings towards this.. 

46 minutes ago, trekka said:

Talks originally discussed to be held in Minsk no less.  The same Minsk that is the capital of Belarus and who helped the Russians invade.  The Ukrainians are cautious and are pushing for talks in Poland.

I can't say I blame them. 

Russia will only talk if the entire Ukraine armed forces surrender first. 

So you know how we've downsized The Royal Navy to such an extent that we only have 6 Destroyers? So it turns out that 5 of them are not even seaworthy so we've just dispatched the single Destroyer to the Mediterranean to beef up the Nato shield. 

How humiliating to have so few ships in the first place then to have most of them not even available in the time of most need since the end of the Cold War. 

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So you know how we've downsized The Royal Navy to such an extent that we only have 6 Destroyers? So it turns out that 5 of them are not even seaworthy so we've just dispatched the single Destroyer to the Mediterranean to beef up the Nato shield. 

How humiliating to have so few ships in the first place then to have most of them not even available in the time of most need since the end of the Cold War. 

Ridiculous for an island nation such as ours - especially as we are supposed to pride ourselves on our naval talents and history. 

• Like 1

Â