• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

4 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

That speech by Putin earlier just shows a man who’s realised he’s overplayed his hand. His stronk army has been stopped in Kharkiv, lost many of his most trusted airborne units and gotten pummelled by UK/American shoulder launched stingers.

The fact that they’re not already parading back in Moscow is a failure. The fact that people in Russia are protesting is a massive failure. He’s describing the Ukrainian democratically elected government as drug users and neo nazis. What on earth is his government then?

Overly optimistic Im afraid

2 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Turns out Xi only cares about money and has probably realised Vlad has gone off script..

Linky

I'm not sure they "only" care about money, but surely nobody is surprised that they care more about money than seeing the restoration of the Russian empire. What do they get from aligning themselves to an international pariah?

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not sure they "only" care about money, but surely nobody is surprised that they care more about money than seeing the restoration of the Russian empire. What do they get from aligning themselves to an international pariah?

Either way, not good for Russia.

18 minutes ago, hippo said:

Russia kicked out of Eurovision Song Contest !

and some said that sanctions wouldn't work....didn't expect that did your Mr Putin

Cancel culture keeps rearing its ugly head I see . . .

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

That speech by Putin earlier just shows a man who’s realised he’s overplayed his hand. His stronk army has been stopped in Kharkiv, lost many of his most trusted airborne units and gotten pummelled by UK/American shoulder launched stingers.

The fact that they’re not already parading back in Moscow is a failure. The fact that people in Russia are protesting is a massive failure. He’s describing the Ukrainian democratically elected government as drug users and neo nazis. What on earth is his government then?

I enjoy your optimism and would be very happy if you are correct but I also have to say I am getting a ‘Chemical Ali’ vibe from a lot of your posts. 

We’re going to be getting propaganda from both sides so I think it’s going to be impossible to know if this is going to plan for either side or not. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

I enjoy your optimism and would be very happy if you are correct but I also have to say I am getting a ‘Chemical Ali’ vibe from a lot of your posts. 

We’re going to be getting propaganda from both sides so I think it’s going to be impossible to know if this is going to plan for either side or not. 

Yep - Putin would rather be a few days late than risk the whole operation. If Ukraine is still fighting in 6 weeks maybe - but not after 48 hours.

16 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I do wonder if the Russian army isn't determined to win this. Lots of soldiers probably don't want to lose their lives. Russia will still manage to take Kyiv and a large part of Eastern Ukraine. 

It seems Putins objective might be to split Ukraine in two, giving a large pert of Eastern Ukraine to the separatists. 

A full military occupation of Ukraine would be long and bloody as there would be insurgency fighting against the occupying army. A puppet dictator put in place by Moscow is the same thing, he would need Russian army to hold the country. 

So forcing Ukraine military to be West of the Dnieper river and away from the new "eastern Ukraine". He'll also take a land corridor to Crimea. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Why do you think Putin is asking the Ukrainian army to oust their own government? Because he’s underestimated their ability. It doesn’t take a smart man to realise that. The Gostomel incident last night is a good example.

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

there's a war going on and all you seem to want to do is focus on Liz Truss .. did she reverse over your cat or something :)  

in the pissing content between lawyers and politicians implied in that tweet, the only real hope is for them both to lose

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Why do you think Putin is asking the Ukrainian army to oust their own government? Because he’s underestimated their ability. It doesn’t take a smart man to realise that. The Gostomel incident last night is a good example.

common tactic - the west tried it after the first gulf war.

9 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

A smart man would probably realise it’s a pretext to replace Zelensky with a pro-Russian military government after a “coup”.

33 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

It took the combined USA and U.K. forces well over a month to take Iraq. There's literally no way Putin thought it would be over already.

Also the protests were by a few thousand people out of a population of 144 million. 

I imagine it's going pretty much as he expected.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

common tactic - the west tried it after the first gulf war.

I’ll take your proof that Russia is winning the battles then, aside from Chernobyl and being allowed across the expanses in the south there’s no steamrolling anywhere. In fact people are flocking to recruitment centres, barricading streets and showing enormous willingness to fight.

2 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

It took the combined USA and U.K. forces well over a month to take Iraq. There's literally no way Putin thought it would be over already.

Also the protests were by a few thousand people out of a population of 144 million. 

I imagine it's going pretty much as he expected.

Iraq is not US’s neighbour. It’s not even close to the same thing.

4 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Iraq is not US’s neighbour. It’s not even close to the same thing.

I mean, the USA spent months amassing their forces in Kuwait and were facing a much weaker military opposition. It's not incomparable. 

Ukraine doesn't have a chance here. They can drag it out with guerilla fighting for a while. Modern armies are not well-equipped for urban warfare and it will take the Russians months to clear the big cities if there is strong resistance. 

12 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I’ll take your proof that Russia is winning the battles then, aside from Chernobyl and being allowed across the expanses in the south there’s no steamrolling anywhere. In fact people are flocking to recruitment centres, barricading streets and showing enormous willingness to fight.

I mean, they control that airfield you seem to think is incredibly important. I’m as happy that the Ukrainians are putting up stiffer resistance than expected as anyone is, but you’re delusional if you think they’re actually *winning*. They’re just inflicting (and almost certainly suffering) reasonably high casualties as they lose.

Maybe that’ll be enough if they can drag it out for long enough, but it’s a big assumption that Putin will be put off that easily.

Â