17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

9 hours ago, villarocker said:

Can't argue with that. Seeing all bar 6 teams with minus goal difference just shows how much we need the authorities to change the way football operates in this country otherwise our most loved sport is going to die. 

Yeah, and their answer to that was to bring in FFP - all that did was ensure the rich stay rich and no one can challenge them

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Outside of the top six/seven it’s one big relegation scrap with teams purely existing to secure their Premier League status. 

As someone pointed out: a decent chunk of games are pretty much lost before a ball is kicked. You’re mostly hoping to just not get thrashed against the top six, or at best to nick a rare draw/win if you’ve caught one of them on a bad day. 

We’ve already experienced what a season upon season struggle against relegation feels like and we’re trying to win the chance to be back there again. It’s a miserable existence. It leaves a club like ours in limbo. We’re too big to be down here but not rich enough to challenge in the Premier League. 

I'm not arguing with your point but I do think there is another way to look at it.  A way which is admittedly a bit harder for Clubs like ours which, as you rightly say are in a sort of in between place.

Whilst I agree in the main, and wish things were better balanced, I don't agree it has to make for a miserable existence....its only that if the enjoyment from following the Club is dependent upon Winning things rather than games.................any fans of any Club can enjoy being in that 14 Team scrap just as much as enjoy being in a Top 6 scrap, it just needs an alteration of perspective.  In the same way its easy to argue that the battle for 4th - 6th is pointless.....but if you choose to see that as your contest, itll be fun.

To be honest for the majority of 92 Clubs the fans have to have targets of individual games, or Cup runs, or whatever.....to enjoy the Premier League we just have to do the same.  It also means that the games against the money guys are still important as you just need to outdo the results of your real competitors against them.

Plus, in our case, there is always the chance of getting into that group that compete....at least as much as ever before........yes Chelsea and Man City have big money which has transformed them into Major competitors but as for Man United, Arsenal, and Liverpool, well, we were never really 'in' that group (well not since Ive watched football from 1969) weve just had spells, which we can do again.

36 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Yeah, and their answer to that was to bring in FFP - all that did was ensure the rich stay rich and no one can challenge them

Well I think if we were to do a 'Leicester' - which in many ways IS what we did in 1981 - we could - could - make a better job than they did, or we did previously, of using it as a real platform to bridge the gap..............you never know. And you never know what the future will bring for those heavily financed Clubs either ...........

46 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well I think if we were to do a 'Leicester' - which in many ways IS what we did in 1981 - we could - could - make a better job than they did, or we did previously, of using it as a real platform to bridge the gap..............you never know. And you never know what the future will bring for those heavily financed Clubs either ...........

Not sure I’d agree we did anything like a leicester in 81 to be honest - Saunders had built the side up over the previous 6 seasons and we had been up around the top 6 in that time - leicester can up and just avoided the drop and then won the title under a new manager who nobody seemed to want at the time .

what leicester did for me was quite incredible and I doubt will be seen again .

id be happy to build in the premier league and aim to challenge the top 6 in maybe 5 years time .

However the champions league clubs will only get richer and the gap will be very hard to close .

probably the closest comparison to leicester in my time was the 78 forest  team with several so called has beens who came up and won the title at the 1st attempt and 2 European cups . 

Edited by Eastie

42 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Not sure I’d agree we did anything like a leicester in 81 to be honest - Saunders had built the side up over the previous 6 seasons and we had been up around the top 6 in that time - leicester can up and just avoided the drop and then won the title under a new manager who nobody seemed to want at the time .

id be happy to build in the premier league and aim to challenge the top 6 in maybe 5 years time .

However the champions league clubs will only get richer and the gap will be very hard to close .

sorry double post 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

probably the closest comparison to leicester in my time was the 78 forest  team with several so called has beens who came up and won the title at the 1st attempt and 2 European cups . 

Let’s hope derby see the job through tonight - should be a nervy affair.

having seen how they struggled at home to Sunderland under pressure last home game the pressure will be cranked up several notches higher tonight , should be interesting to watch

Edited by Eastie

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

My point about “ doing a Leicester” wasn’t intended to say it was identical, just that, exactly like Leicester, we took top spot when we were not one of the top clubs. The point being that it can always be done once, and one day somebody may use it effectively to join that group permanently.

You say you “ doubt we will see it again “......before it happened people would’ve said “ it’ll never happen”, but it did, and it will. I am 100% certain that a Club other than Man City/ United, Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, WILL win it. The future is a long time !

• Like 1