The Manager thread

Xela

This can be a general managerial thread.

I don't know if its me, but I can't stand a number of the managers now in the Premier League. They are just big babies who throw their toys out of the pram. We've seen Mourinho, Klopp, Pep, Wenger and Karanka act like complete bell ends in the last few weeks alone. Walking out of interviews, being obtuse to reporters and in Wenger's case, pushing people. That's why it wouldn't bother me to see Chelsea or Spurs win the league now

I know there has always been the occasional managerial outburst but it seems more frequent now? 

yeah a majority of them are word removed. Ranieri, Conte, Howe, Dyche are probably the only 4 that are likeable in the league, Mazzari, Silva, Puel and Clement are probably likeable but never hear enough from them to judge

the rest are all pricks

49 minutes ago, Xela said:

I know there has always been the occasional managerial outburst but it seems more frequent now? 

I've not kept count or anything but I'd not be surprised if the increased frequency of outbursts almost directly corresponds with the increased demands placed on a manager's time by the media. 

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What about in the championship? I find a lot of them at thus level quite nice blokes. The brentford manager and Barnsley managers are likeable as is hughton and Wagner. 

Monk and our very own Bruce as well.

I do like Dean Smith. 

My overall favourite would be Guus Hiddink. In the championship, it would be Bruce, Wagner, and Smith. Zola, despite not being a good manager and tasked with Sty duties, seems like a very nice guy too.

Mourinho is my least favourite. Utter flog.

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What about in the championship? I find a lot of them at thus level quite nice blokes. The brentford manager and Barnsley managers are likeable as is hughton and Wagner. 

Perhaps that proves The Rev's point.  I actually think the Championship is a more enjoyable league as a whole because there is less pressure and media bollocks.

Really can't stand Wenger, he's a walking, whining excuse.

Can't stand Allerdyce and ain't a huge fan of Guardiola either.

For all his faults I still like Mourinho, although he's lost much of what made him special. I've followed him since Porto and he's done much to be admired.

Same thing with Klopp, I really loved him at Borussia Dortmund and even thou I can't stand Plop I still like Klopp.

Huge fan of both Ranieri and Conte, they are tacticians and that's the type of managers I like.

Mazzarri was at Sampdoria so I like him just for that. And Guidolin worked wonders at Udinese, and that is not an easy club to work at.

Silva is one to watch I think, won't remain at Hull for long. On to bigger and better things , maybe as soon as in the summer.

Also like Bilic, wanted him here ever since MON buggered off.

How much of this is just due to the never ending 24hr news cycle, now turbo-charged by the social media age and instantaneous global communications? I don't think managers have changed all that much in their general assness-when-it-suits-them since the 90s, can't speak to before that.

• Like 1

Generally I find the vast majority of Premier League (especially the Sky 4) managers are pampered by the media with no one daring to ask decent post match questions, in the fear they would upset them.

Mourinho had a recent hissy fit and walked off midway through the BBC post match interview following the 0-0 game against Hull. I thought he was extremely arrogant and treated the reporter with contempt and disdain. It's not as if he was asked any tough or damning questions!!!

I expect the next BBC interview to be a complete exercise in urinating up Mourinho's back, in the hope that he smiles at them again....

Manager's aren't Gods but they're heralded and fawned over by the media masses, so it's no wonder a lot of them turn out to be complete words removed!

I liked Klopp at Dortmund but he's turned into a Jekyll and Hyde character depended on whether his shambolic defence turn up or not! (I do understand managerial frustration at team performances but some of his reactions are extremely childlike)

Mourinho has always believed in his own hype, Guardiola just looks baffled and confused all the time and Wenger just recycles his previous dull press conference remarks.

Out of the current crop of 'top' managers, I quite like Pochetino at Spurs but fear it'll only be a matter of time before he goes 'full-retard' and believes the hype too.

Blame fergie for them being assholes and the media pampering them

shit performance and result? Kick off in the media after the game to make sure all the back pages have your face on them rather than headlines criticising the team, if a journo dared to write an article slaughtering the team then that was his pass at the Utd media room taken off him, he was an asshole on purpose

its now become blatantly obvious at to what they're doing, especially Jose, I think the difference if you are looking for one is more and more managers know how to play the game, fewer journalists care that they're being played (apart from rare instances like joses 2nd Chelsea stint) managers control the media

said at the time of Jack grealishs 21st birthday drink, don't believe for a minute that it doesn't happen at other clubs, the media fallout after it is what doesn't happen at other clubs

• Like 2

And you don't hear much about it now but for all these massive rivalries and hatred amongst managers cos Jose is winding them all up and getting under their skin, I did like the red wine club that he got going, think it started with him and fergie but I think most of the managers do it with him now (the away manager brings a bottle of red for them to have a glass and a chat in the managers room after the game)

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Blame fergie for them being assholes and the media pampering them

shit performance and result? Kick off in the media after the game to make sure all the back pages have your face on them rather than headlines criticising the team, if a journo dared to write an article slaughtering the team then that was his pass at the Utd media room taken off him, he was an asshole on purpose

its now become blatantly obvious at to what they're doing, especially Jose, I think the difference if you are looking for one is more and more managers know how to play the game, fewer journalists care that they're being played (apart from rare instances like joses 2nd Chelsea stint) managers control the media

said at the time of Jack grealishs 21st birthday drink, don't believe for a minute that it doesn't happen at other clubs, the media fallout after it is what doesn't happen at other clubs

100%, very good comment. 

I'd go further to your first two paragraphs and add that it was the craven reaction from the rest of the media to the United BBC ban that guaranteed this*. Fergie banned the Beeb for years for absolutely nothing, but there was no industry solidarity, no 'well if you don't talk to our colleague, we won't talk to you', they just all simply continued to ask all the same meaningless banal questions but without a BBC reporter there. And they wonder why managers can walk over them and treat them with no respect. 

*and, to a lesser extent, the non-reaction to the press-room goings-on at the Democratic People's Republic of Newcastle United. 

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

And you don't hear much about it now but for all these massive rivalries and hatred amongst managers cos Jose is winding them all up and getting under their skin, I did like the red wine club that he got going, think it started with him and fergie but I think most of the managers do it with him now (the away manager brings a bottle of red for them to have a glass and a chat in the managers room after the game)

FErguson started the after game wine thing way before MOurinho got near England

The fact the Bournemouth chairman has had to come out and give Eddie Howe a vote of confidence is exactly the reason why no British managers ever seem to make it to the top clubs. They simply aren't allowed any bad patches. Expectation is far too high.

Gary Monk suffered because of this. 

• Like 1

I know people rate him highly and all but is Eddie Howe really all that? He has done a great job at Bournemouth but he cant organise a defence to save his life and teams seem to go on poor runs too often

Really dont see why a team like Arsenal would take a punt on him, reminds me of Martinez

He's going through a poor run. I think Ake going back to Chelsea has disrupted things and he really should've replaced him once he went back to Chelsea.

It's interesting looking at his team and all the players who were with him in league 1 like Cook, Daniels, Francis and Arter are all still key men.

His big money signings don't seem to make much impact....Max Gradel has disappeared, Lewis Cook played the opening day and haven't seen him since and Ibe and Mings has been very mediocre.

30m those four cost.

Â