Away form

turvontour

Relatively new to the forum and couldnt see a thread that focused solely on the clubs appaling away record. Presumably we'd be in or on the verge of the playoffs with just an average set of results on the road.

Four goals away from home since late September. One goal in the last six away games.

Whats peoples take on why this is?

• Like 1

It's pathetic. from how we line up to then players who are gutless when they go to lesser grounds. even the games we won away I wouldnt say we were any use. We gave Wednesday a decent run at start of season that was prob our best away performance mainly as I thought we would get smashed

I think after we beat reading away we haven't really kicked on from our dreadful away form. And to be honest although our home form has got better we are still making hard work of it. Let's be honest, we have been pretty poor for 75% of the season so far.

Some interesting comments on the transfer thread earlier re it being pointless buying players as their game will just default to the current level of inenptitude. 

It links to this thread in some respects in that is there any point swapping e.g. Rhodes for Mccormack or Lansbury for Westwood if the general set up/expectation/attitude of the club is to win 1 away every 15. 

I suppose transfers/wholesale changes are presumably the easiest way to turn it around, although 4 different managers hasnt changed an awful lot. 

On 14/01/2017 at 23:56, turvontour said:

I know its dreadful. But why is Preston at home next winnable but if it were Preston away very likely to be a defeat? Its the same inferior opposition in both instances. 

PNE at home can not be defined as "winnable" simply because we are shit, and they are just being their normal selves. Shit but less shit than we are

Is it psychological, tactics, a rut, what?

Mentally & Physically

We are shit on both accounts

Edited by Grasshopper

• 3 weeks later...

The worst one far a while for me, OK a lot of new faces but there's no threat one we go a goal down as usual.

What do the players even say to eachother on the coach to and from the away games, cant imagine there being any camaraderie?

Hourihane, "Hutton, whats the craic like on the road?" Hutton, "fairly grim mate, we never win. You'll get used to it."

Its infectious sadly.

We set up far too cautious,defend too deep,  attack with too few players and only put organized  pressure on the opponents for short periods of the games.

Playing for draws in games we have to win.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2017 at 22:56, turvontour said:

I know its dreadful. But why is Preston at home next winnable but if it were Preston away very likely to be a defeat? Its the same inferior opposition in both instances.

Is it psychological, tactics, a rut, what?

I think it's partly psychological. Everyone knows that an away game is basically an automatic defeat and the players probably expect it too. That will have an effect.

Â