AFCON 2017

sne

Though I 'd start a thread about the upcoming African Cup of Nations that is played in Gabon next year, starting January 15th and running to the 5th of February.

Since we have a couple of important players potentially going there in Adomah, Ayew and Kodija it will likely have an effect on our season.

But most of all it is usually a fun tournament with entertaining football ending in a penalty shootout and with Egypt as champions :). Although in recent years it has been a bit more disciplined and goal shy. 

Not sure how it is in the UK, but in Sweden it's been on Eurosport for as long as I can remember so you can watch all the games on the telly.

This time thou I will be in Uganda for the fist week of the tournament so that should be fun :D.

Any thought on how it will finish and how our players will fare?

Here are the groups:

Bildresultat för african cup of nations 2017 groups english

1 hour ago, sne said:

Though I 'd start a thread about the upcoming African Cup of Nations that is played in Gabon next year, starting January 15th and running to the 5th of February.

Since we have a couple of important players potentially going there in Adomah, Ayew and Kodija it will likely have an effect on our season.

But most of all it is usually a fun tournament with entertaining football ending in a penalty shootout and with Egypt as champions :). Although in recent years it has been a bit more disciplined and goal shy. 

Not sure how it is in the UK, but in Sweden it's been on Eurosport for as long as I can remember so you can watch all the games on the telly.

This time thou I will be in Uganda for the fist week of the tournament so that should be fun :D.

Any thought on how it will finish and how our players will fare?

Here are the groups:

Bildresultat för african cup of nations 2017 groups english

Group C have the best flags, with Morocco leading the way.

What are you doing in Uganda?

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Group C have the best flags, with Morocco leading the way.

What are you doing in Uganda?

Just traveling around.

I'm going with a couple of friends, one of whom has a boat there and organizes fishing trips on occasions and is looking at starting up more regular trips.

Going to Kampala and Entebbe, and then some fishing in Lake Victoria and visiting a few national parks.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sne said:

Just traveling around.

I'm going with a couple of friends, one of whom has a boat there and organizes fishing trips on occasions and is looking at starting up more regular trips.

Going to Kampala and Entebbe, and then some fishing in Lake Victoria and visiting a few national parks.

Lucky man! Enjoy the trip, should be amazing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jenko#4 said:

I'm going to put a couple of quid on the home nation I think. They've probably got the best African striker in the world at the moment in Aubameyang, a relatively easy group, and home support

Not a bad shout.

The home nations usually fair pretty well in this tournament.

Either that, or they totally implode.

• Like 1

Ghana squad, no Adomah but Ayew is in.

PROVISIONAL SQUAD

Goalkeepers: Razak Braimah (Cordoba, Spain), Adam Kwarasey (Rosenborg, Norway) Richard Ofori (Wa All Stars)

Defenders: Harrison Afful (Columbus Crew, USA), Andy Yiadom (Barnsley, England), Baba Rahman (Schalke, Germany), Jeffery Schlupp (Leicester City, England), John Boye (Sivasspor, Turkey), Jonathan Mensah (Anzhi, Russia), Daniel Amartey (Leicester City, England), Edwin Gyimah (Orlando Pirates, South Africa)

Midfielders: Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu (Udinese, Italy), Afriyie Acquah (Torino, Italy), Thomas Partey (Atletico Madrid, Spain)  Mubarak Wakaso (Panathinaikos, Greece), Kwadwo Asamoah (Juventus), Frank Acheampong (Anderlecht, Belgium), Christian Atsu (Newcastle, England), Alhassan Wakaso (Rio Ave, Portugal), Samuel Tetteh (Leifering, Austria), Latif Blessing (Liberty Professionals), Joseph Alfred Duncan (US Sassualo)

Forwards: Jordan Ayew (Aston Villa, England), Abdul-Majeed Waris (Lorient, France), David Accam (Chicago Fire), Andre Ayew (West Ham, England), Ebenezer Assifuah (Sion, Switzerland), Raphael Dwamena (Austria Lustenau), Asamoah Gyan (Al Ain)

There are 5 other players on a stand-by list, one of whom can potentially make the 30-man provisional squad that will be officially announced by the GFA next week.

STAND-BY LIST

Enoch Adu Kofi (Malmo FF)

Inusah Musah (Hearts of Oak)

Lawrence Ati Zigi (FC Liefering)

Isaac Coffie (Genoa)

Joseph Attamah (Istanbul )

http://sportsobama.com/exclusive-avram-grant-submit-29-provisional-black-stars-squad-for-afcon-2017/

Algeria squad:

The full squad:

Goalkeepers: Asselah Malik (JS Kabylie), Mbolhi Raïs (Antalyaspor -Turkey), Rahmani Chemseddine (MO Béjaïa)

Defenders: Azzi Ayoub (MC Alger), Hichem Belkaroui (ES Tunis -Tunisia), Bensebaïni Ramy (Stade Rennes -France), Belkhiter Mokhtar (Club Africain -Tunisia), Benyahia Mohamed (USM Alger), Cadamuro Liassine (Servette Genève -Switzerland), Ferhani Houari (JS Kabylie), Ghoulam Faouzi (SSC Naples -Italy), Mandi Aïssa (Real Betis –Spain) Medjani Carl (CD Leganés -Spain), Meftah Mohamed Rabie (USM Alger), Mesbah Djamel Eddine (FC Crotone -Italy)

Midfielders: Abeïd Mehdi (Dijon FCO -France), Bennacer Ismael (Arsenal FC -England), Bentaleb Nabil (Schalke 04 -German), Guedioura Adlène (Watford FC -England), Taïder Sliti Saphir (Bologne FC -Italy), Brahimi Yacine (FC Porto -Portugal), Feghouli Sofiane (West Ham United -England), Ghezzal Rachid (Olympique Lyonnais -Fra-), Mahrez Riyad (Leicester City -England), Ounas Adam (FC Girondins de Bordeaux -Fra-)

Forwards: Slimani Islam (Leicester City -England), Soudani Hillal El Arabi (Dinamo Zagreb -Croatia), Belfodil Ishak (Standard de Liège -Belgium), Benzia Yassine (Lille OSC -France), Bounedjah Baghdad (Al Sadd -Qatar), Saâdi Idriss (KV Courtrai -Belgium)

https://www.kawowo.com/2016/12/23/afcon-2017-algeria-coach-leekens-unveils-provisional-squad/

Still haven't been able to find out exactly when the teams will assemble for the tournament, and I assume those players playing in Europe will meet up a bit later.

But. Uganda for example have pre-tournament friendlies lined up against Gabon on the 29th, Libya on the 1st, Tunisia on the 4th and then Slovakia on the 8th.

I suspect most teams will have schedules like this.

Think me might miss Ayew and Kodija a week or so earlier than we anticipated.

Fwiw the squads must be finalized and submitted by the 31st.

I was going to tip Nigeria to win it given they've got quite an exciting team with Iwobi, Victor Moses and Kelechi.

Then I realised they didn't actually qualify.....

Xela is quite right...the AFCON is always a tournament hyped up but last few ones have been really boring....Africa still produces plenty of flair players and strikers but so many of the coaches are too defensive and so teams just cancel each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Aston Villa-related games
Mon 16/01 - Ivory Coast v Togo
Tue 17/01 - Ghana v Uganda
Fri 20/01 - Ivory Coast v Doctor Congo
Sat 21/01 - Ghana v Mali
Tue 24/01 - Ivory Coast v Morocco
Wed 25/01 - Ghana v Egypt

BetVictor odds of getting out of their group
Group C
Ivory Coast 4/9
Morocco 7/2
Doctor Congo 6/1
Togo 20/1

Group D
Ghana 7/5
Egypt 7/5
Mali 4/1
Uganda 14/1

So on the basis of those odds, assuming all goes to plan it should be a quarter final of

Sun 29/01 - Ivory Coast v Egypt
Sun 29/01 - Ghana v Morocco

Wed 01/02 - Semi final 1
Thu 02/02 - Semi final 2
Sat 04/02 - 3rd/4th playoff
Sun 05/02 - Final

Â