Gareth Southgate

Richard

15 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It was unusual to see him not do his usual thing of veering off to discuss someone else he loves when asked about any player, ala question on Grealish, talks about Mason Mount.

He couldn't get his tongue further up Toney's arse.

Maybe Southgate is Toneys tipping guru and is worried about his connections

Did Toney bet on a lot of 0-0 draws?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I love Southgate bashing as much as the next guy but I think the reason he hasn't picked Ramsey and Gibbs White are so they can play in the U21 Euros. 

Correct, and that seems likely to be more valuable than a bit of football against Malta or North Macedonia that won't really tell anyone anything. I don't doubt that Ramsey especially will start to get call-ups in the nearish future if he keeps performing at his current level. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Correct, and that seems likely to be more valuable than a bit of football against Malta or North Macedonia that won't really tell anyone anything. I don't doubt that Ramsey especially will start to get call-ups in the nearish future if he keeps performing at his current level. AND LEAVES VILLA

FTFY

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I know you've become one of the only voices on VT that highlights the positives of Southgate's reign. The overwhelming majority of us are sick of him as England manager.

But can you honestly make an argument that Phillips deserves to be in the squad? I know Maguire played well for England about 6 years ago but he can't even get into the starting eleven of his own team. Should he really be in there?

Also i thought Southgate once said that to be picked you had to be playing regular first team Premier league football? He is a hypocrite

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hev said:

Also i thought Southgate once said that to be picked you had to be playing regular first team Premier league football? He is a hypocrite

No he bases it on experience

With all those champions league appearances he's made this season of course phillips will be in there...

But seriously it's a get out of jail card for him, of course his favourites who he caps every game have more international experience than anyone else, that's been England's problem for as long as I can remember and why the likes of Glenn Johnson get to 54 caps despite never being really good enough

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hev said:

He said that about Gresford, then picked Phillips when he was playing in the championship.

• Like 1

Southgate is a meme for being clueless but relatively successful. 

He has an abundance of talent to pick from, regularly does stupid things and contradicts himself but gets out of jail because the players are so good.

He’ll get away with idiotic selections like Maguire, Gallagher and Philips time and time again due to the strength elsewhere (and the weakness of the opposition).

He’d be found out incredibly quickly in the Premier League.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I said relative success, it’s more successful than any other England manager has been for a very long time.

England haven't had success since 1966

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

No it's not.

I've seen from another thread this week that your definition of success is winning everything and that anything other than that is failure. No offence, but it's a stupid definition of success. 

• Like 2

This season has been successful for Newcastle because they qualified for the Champions League.

It has been successful for Forest because they avoided relegation.

England have had success under Southgate as they have competed in the latter stages of the major tournaments, which is what his mandate was.

Edited by Genie

34 minutes ago, Genie said:

This season has been successful for Newcastle because they qualified for the Champions League.

It has been successful for Forest because they avoided relegation.

England have had success under Southgate as they have competed in the latter stages of the major tournaments, which is what his mandate was.

Successful in reaching the latter stages of tournaments. 

Failure at actually demonstrating any ability to beat a manager/team that knows what they're doing.

Failure to win anything. 

Successful at getting us relegated in the nations league. 

He's not been a success in my eyes. I think we could have won something with a better manager. He's shown he isn't a good manager in real football.  He's arguably slightly better at international football, but he's still not good.

Â