Overseas Villa Fans Check-In Desk

Midfielder

On the Football Manager thread a bit of Anglo-Norge respect just unfolded, appreciating our Lions from abroad. They could have picked Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, hell... even Birmingham City. But they chose us! This is just a thread to appreciate our overseas fans and also see (from outside of the UK) who is on here and from where. Me, I'm just some English dude, in England, but I'm curious to do a little audit. Ours are amongst the best fans in England and we are bettered further with your membership! You picked the right team and we are glad to have you!

Answer however you want but I'd be interested to hear:

1. where are you from?
  2. what team (if any) do you support in your homeland?
  3. how did you come to support Villa?

UTV

edit- yeah all UK exiles overseas too and our Irish brothers 

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 4

1. Tipperary, Ireland.

2. Cork City once I got down there for Uni. Ireland be a football wasteland in most places.

3. All the Irish lads after Italia '90, and not being Liverpool, who were the team of choice in school. 

• Like 4

Keep it up brothers and sisters from around the world.  As a Brummie I have travelled all over Europe and parts of Asia and Oz.  Always proud to where my Villa shirt and it has always started conversations with strangers. Met loads of Villa fans but most were fellow travellers or ex pats.  We are a truly global club but one where when you meet fellow fans in bizarre places you feel as one.  There maybe more fans of more successful clubs but with Villa its that special feeling that they will never understand.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Everywhere I go I usually meet a villa fan. In turkey I met a villa fan who worked as security at the airport, he was a Turk. Same in Rhodes, some local geezer who owned a cafe had followed villa since the early 80s. 

They are quite rare in Australia. When I was living in  Brisbane, I would go down and watch the games at " The Pig and Whistle", a British pub in the city. There it was obvious which were the popular teams. Spurs, Whammers,  and Liverpool had the biggest gatherings around their respective screens, while the local Villa fans, consisting of about 4 of us, watched ours quietly. Nowadays, whenever anyone finds out I am a Villa fan, they would say something like " Oh, you poor bastard." or something to that effect. I just smile at them and say " Its alright. We'll be back".

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, AJ said:

They are quite rare in Australia. When I was living in  Brisbane, I would go down and watch the games at " The Pig and Whistle", a British pub in the city. There it was obvious which were the popular teams. Spurs, Whammers,  and Liverpool had the biggest gatherings around their respective screens, while the local Villa fans, consisting of about 4 of us, watched ours quietly. Nowadays, whenever anyone finds out I am a Villa fan, they would say something like " Oh, you poor bastard." or something to that effect. I just smile at them and say " Its alright. We'll be back".

West Ham??? 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Everywhere I go I usually meet a villa fan. In turkey I met a villa fan who worked as security at the airport, he was a Turk. Same in Rhodes, some local geezer who owned a cafe had followed villa since the early 80s. 

I remember being in Prague on the night we played man city and waved the  signs. I was wearing my villa shirt and some guy came up to me to shake my hand and ask if I was watching the game that night. We went on to have a good chat about all things villa despite the language barrier. Love how football and villa bring people together.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

West Ham??? 

Yeah, I know, right? I cant figure it either.

There are a percentage of fans which are glory hunters, but I never really got why they are popular here. Could be a number of reasons, but it is good to see that they are football fans. In Australia, there is too much competition of sports referred to as football, and football is the 4th most popular behind AFL, rugby league, and union, but it is steadily growing.

Depending on where you grow up, or what code you follow, people here tend to get a bit "tribal" over which code they follow.

I was also in Prague during the World Cup when it was in Germany. Even in Prague there were fans of all nations (the Dutch women :wub:) hanging around with a big screen in one of the squares. I wore my villa shirt there and I remember fans from all nations putting thumbs up and saying hi. They weren't all villa fans but just obviously a mutual respect of all things football.

On 11.11.2016 at 20:07, tarjei said:

In my lifetime I've met 3 other Villa fans. They are quite rare!

Get down here some time and we'll double that number easily. 

(There aren't too many of us here either, sadly, but during the early years of the Lerner era there could be up to 20 of us in the pub on match days). 

• Like 2

Â