Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Forest and Huddersfield at home. We destroyed them both. But that was before Bruce so going off topic now. 

Under Bruce I'd agree we should have beaten Forest away and Preston at home.

And Brighton away . 

51 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well, only 3 of those played on Saturday. One is a goalkeeper who's confidence is through the floor. The other a full back replacing a full back who's confidence is through the floor, two positions that shouldn't have *much* of an effect on a system. 

The other Lansbury, who is replacing Garwood. 

Fact is, Bruce has had time to put a system in place and through his own tinkering has utterly failed in his remit to do so. However I will say this, if had a full season in which we averaged ~2 points per game, except for a 7 game period where we lost 6 from 7 (which can in all fairness happen to any team) then we would be challenging for playoffs regardless. What we do now until May is very important, can he turn the ship around, again? I'm yet to be convinced, but I will be patient. I don't really see an alternative.  

You look at it as a whole though mate and you have a goalkeeper who has played less than ten games for us behind a centre back pairing that has played around 15–20 games together with a left back who has played a couple of games for us.

Then in midfield you have Lansbury and Jedinak playing together for the second time alongside Bacuna for the first time.

We have Green out wide making his second start I think for us.

I agree he could have put a system in place by now but he was at first hampered by poor midfield options now with those addressed I get the feeling ideally he would like to have played 4-4-2 but finds himself with one fit forward.

I think going forward then regardless of any mitigating circumstances previously by the end of this season we do have to have a formation in place and to have seen a group of good individuals evolve into a team.

I don't think Wagner would do any better than bruce.  We need experience and wagner could be another garde type appointment.  Give bruce until end of season and we see where we are there. I think we will be a lot better in next 5-6 games

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree he could have put a system in place by now but he was at first hampered by poor midfield options now with those addressed I get the feeling ideally he would like to have played 4-4-2 but finds himself with one fit forward.

Whilst I agree with the general thrust of your post, have we played 4-4-2 even once under Bruce? Pre or post January? We seem to play a different system every week, there has been zero consistency in that or the personnel since the day he walked through the door. He needs to a get a grip on that and fast.

• Like 1

He was unambiguous in his pre-Derby prezzer that 4-4-2 is his preferred system; that he has never previously used a 4-3-3 in any of its guises; but that the make-up of this squad including factoring in injuries means that we're currently better equipped for a 4-3-3.  I'd therefore expect that we'll be using a 4-4-2 as soon as we can.  Which should make the central midfield selections interesting given that Jedinak, Lansbury & Hourihane are IMO automatic selections when available.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

He was unambiguous in his pre-Derby prezzer that 4-4-2 is his preferred system; that he has never previously used a 4-3-3 in any of its guises; but that the make-up of this squad including factoring in injuries means that we're currently better equipped for a 4-3-3.  I'd therefore expect that we'll be using a 4-4-2 as soon as we can.  Which should make the central midfield selections interesting given that Jedinak, Lansbury & Hourihane are IMO automatic selections when available.

Drop the Jedi.

Just now, bobzy said:

Drop the Jedi.

I think it'll depend on whether the rest of them can demonstrate that they're able to win regularly in his absence, because up to now a win has usually required the Jedi.

17 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Whilst I agree with the general thrust of your post, have we played 4-4-2 even once under Bruce? Pre or post January? We seem to play a different system every week, there has been zero consistency in that or the personnel since the day he walked through the door. He needs to a get a grip on that and fast.

Kodjia and Hogan have played as a two before Hogan got injured. It was certainly a narrow midfield four as neither Adomah or Green played for a couple of games.

He must have had a favoured system in mind when he overhauled the squad in January and like you say he must put it in place, trust his judgement and stick with it. The excuse of having inherited someone else's squad and trying to get the best out of it is no longer going to wash now we have seen 14 ins/out under him.

The only thing I would say is if he does want to play a 2 up top then he can't until one of Gabby, Hogan or RHM are again fit.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I think it'll depend on whether the rest of them can demonstrate that they're able to win regularly in his absence, because up to now a win has usually required the Jedi.

I agree - but that's because of the 4-3-3.  It requires someone to sit and break up play as the other two (or only one) midfielders (in theory, at least, not with Villa!) need to be higher up the pitch attempting to create and distribute the play.  4-4-2 isn't as reliable on those players, the midfield should be more dynamic and... "flat", for want of a better term.

If I'm picking the central pairing that will work the hardest covering ground, it wouldn't include Jedinak.  If we revert to 3 in the middle at any point, he becomes strangely invaluable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Kodjia and Hogan have played as a two before Hogan got injured. It was certainly a narrow midfield four as neither Adomah or Green played for a couple of games.

He must have a favoured system in mind when he overhauled the squad in January and like you say he must put it in place, trust his judgement and stick with it. The excuse of having inherited someone else's squad and trying to get the best out of it is no longer going to wash now we have seen 14 ins/out under him.

The only thing I would say is if he does want to play a 2 up top then he can't until one of Gabby, Hogan or RHM are again fit.

Interesting to see if 433 works in the next few games and then hogan comes back does he change it ? 

I guess the option will be to play kodija wide If needed - it's a pity rhm is out as it would have been an ideal chance for him right now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Against Forest actually I think? I'm sure he then switched to Kodjia as a wide forward in the next game, whilst he has said in the past that he thinks that is his best position. Or was it the 3-5-2 next? He stuck by that for 2 games.

You see what I'm saying though Mark, it all appears to be a bit of a mess. I would have more faith than I do if I had seen more consistency. As it is, I'm firmly on the fence as to whether I want him leading the charge next season or not. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

If the plan is to play with 2 forwards you don't get rid of 3 and only bring in 1 during January, especially when one of your strikers is expected to miss 1 month of play due to the AFCON and Gabby is the only other option.

If your tactic is hinging on Jedinak sweeping up everything at DCM you bring in a back up as he hasn't got the legs to last the full 90. 

At least that's how I see it, but I'm not a vastly experienced manager, who knows the league.

Just seem like common sense.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sne said:

If the plan is to play with 2 forwards you don't get rid of 3 and only bring in 1 during January, especially when one of your strikers is expected to miss 1 month of play due to the AFCON and Gabby is the only other option.

If your tactic is hinging on Jedinak sweeping up everything at DCM you bring in a back up as he hasn't got the legs to last the full 90. 

At least that's how I see it, but I'm not a vastly experienced manager, who knows the league.

Just seem like common sense.

Did we really get rid of 3 strikers?

Just now, sne said:

Ayew, Gestede and McCormack

Ah, fair.

Ayew always played wide for us, didn't he?  McCormack just rarely played :D

Maybe they're cutting back wages a bit, to be fair.  Can't imagine Ayew and McCormack were/are on peanuts.

• Like 1

Im sure under the last few months of Lambert (after he visited Pep at Bayern) Villa used to have the higher percentage of possession during the games.

Problem was we did feck all with it and kept losing, hence Lambert lost his job.

So Derby having most of the ball means nothing they still lost and we won.

• Like 2

Â