Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Interesting interview from the training camp  -  i'm not a huge fan but he speaks well and a lot of sense.

I also like that he mentioned Birkir.

Every transfer window we all want to be so excited by signings, we forget that we basically signed half a team in January.

Some who weren't up to speed. some who were injured etc.

We actually never got to play our best team together ONCE.

Hourihane, Lansbury, Hogan are good players.

If Ross gets it right he is like a new signing too.

We don't need much.

The one thing I wanted was a top keeper.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I also like that he mentioned Birkir.

Every transfer window we all want to be so excited by signings, we forget that we basically signed half a team in January.

Some who weren't up to speed. some who were injured etc.

We actually never got to play our best team together ONCE.

Hourihane, Lansbury, Hogan are good players.

If Ross gets it right he is like a new signing too.

We don't need much.

The one thing I wanted was a top keeper.

Don't disagree but I think we are lacking in the goalkeeping and attacking winger departments. Not a lot of depth on our Left side...

Really hope we make a lot of progress on outgoing transfers too, quite looking forward to that. Would be a relief to get rid of some of the deadwood, I hope the squad can be a tight knit group this season, full of spirit and determination.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TRO said:

GH I have genuinely no idea what your going on about.....The players i am referring to is this window......if he gets the ones he wants and Terry is a whopper, we will be ok.

last season we was incomplete.

what part of that do you not understand?

What other specific players do you think he lacked last season making it impossible to reach the play offs?

Surely it must be more than the same keeper we had last season, a back up CM, a 4th RB and a replacement for Baker? Or would those signings alone make us complete?

We all hope Terry can be the leader we lack and also still deliver on the pitch, but the rest of those signings would add very little.

More and better targets is needed i fear.

Unlike you I feel it was failing to correctly set up and use the players at hand that lead to our miserable season rather than not having players to build a working team from.

I think Bruce and his team failed massively at this and I think many other managers would have been able to do much more with what we had.

Also think Bruce himself knows he messed up last season and hopefully he learned a lot and will correct it for this season.

But saying this was the only way last season was only ever going to pan out and that the job was impossible from the start is IMO ridiculous.

RDM failed to understand the importance of having a midfield, and that left us crippled. It should have been painfully obvious to see, and it was.

But the implosion in January and lack of progress during the second half of the season I'm putting on Bruce and his team. 

If some wan't to put the blame on Xia and the people running the club for not giving Bruce even more money to spend on midfielders and strikers in January then so be it.

For me it was the shortcomings of the manager and coaches.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, sne said:

What other specific players do you think he lacked last season making it impossible to reach the play offs?

Surely it must be more than the same keeper we had last season, a back up CM, a 4th RB and a replacement for Baker? Or would those signings alone make us complete?

We all hope Terry can be the leader we lack and also still deliver on the pitch, but the rest of those signings would add very little.

More and better targets is needed i fear.

Unlike you I feel it was failing to correctly set up and use the players at hand that lead to our miserable season rather than not having players to build a working team from.

I think Bruce and his team failed massively at this and I think many other managers would have been able to do much more with what we had.

Also think Bruce himself knows he messed up last season and hopefully he learned a lot and will correct it for this season.

But saying this was the only way last season was only ever going to pan out and that the job was impossible from the start is IMO ridiculous.

RDM failed to understand the importance of having a midfield, and that left us crippled. It should have been painfully obvious to see, and it was.

But the implosion in January and lack of progress during the second half of the season I'm putting on Bruce and his team. 

If some wan't to put the blame on Xia and the people running the club for not giving Bruce even more money to spend on midfielders and strikers in January then so be it.

For me it was the shortcomings of the manager and coaches.

Well, as you would expect ,I simply disagree with most of that.

and contrary to your theories, I don't think anyone cocked up.....it was the start of a transition and much was still wrong......If you travel around the world on a boat, you don't expect to get all calm seas and sometimes your boat sinks, despite your best efforts.

Steve Bruce hit problems and sometimes the answers are not there no matter who you are......even Jose is taking time to do his thing.

also despite his issues to say RDM failed to see the importance of having a midfield, is simply too much for my little feeble mind to cope with.....This is a guy who despite his tough time with us, has been around the game enough and ironically was a class Midfielder himself......Nah not buying that one.

I would love to see you both together debating that.

My suggestion is move away from blame.....let the people get on with the job who clearly know more than we.......and lets look forward to a cracking season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well, as you would expect ,I simply disagree with most of that.

and contrary to your theories, I don't think anyone cocked up.....it was the start of a transition and much was still wrong......If you travel around the world on a boat, you don't expect to get all calm seas and sometimes your boat sinks, despite your best efforts.

Steve Bruce hit problems and sometimes the answers are not there no matter who you are......even Jose is taking time to do his thing.

also despite his issues to say RDM failed to see the importance of having a midfield, is simply too much for my little feeble mind to cope with.....This is a guy who despite his tough time with us, has been around the game enough and ironically was a class Midfielder himself......Nah not buying that one.

I would love to see you both together debating that.

My suggestion is move away from blame.....let the people get on with the job who clearly know more than we.......and lets look forward to a cracking season.

:D

We really are polar opposite on this matter.

I do enjoy the parables thou, keep on preaching to gospels of Bruce ;)

2 hours ago, sne said:

:D

We really are polar opposite on this matter.

I do enjoy the parables thou, keep on preaching to gospels of Bruce ;)

Yes we are.:)

Look, I think Steve Bruce is a good manager, not a great one, but good one.....and for us right now, who has had a club as well as a team problem, good fit IMO.

No manager in this fickle world of football with so many variables to deal with can be right all of the time.

I loved Graham Taylor, but I didn't agree with him on everything, but equally that didn't make him wrong either.....could quite possibly me, but there again, I have only ever been wrong once in my life ,only to find I was right in the end..( just joking)

I read your posts with Interest as I do DC/GH/Antrim and a few others who do not favour Bruce or blame him( directly)for things I find hard to accept.

I do accept and I guess he does, given a fair amount of time the buck stops with him.....Its a results business.

I do like to see managers including those of the recent past have a fair crack of the whip and in some cases ( not blaming the club) they have not.....sometimes results can deny them that crucial time.

Its a bloody cruel game at times and not for the faint hearted.

However, Watch us tear it up this season.:)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

Thank heavens we are not too far away from the actual start of the season, at which point this seemingly endless debate about whether Bruce will or won't succeed next season will conclude..

Just the misery of the pre-season to get through now...:)

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I've no issue with criticism of Bruce, no issue with those who want him replaced. But to say he cost us promotion, given where we were when he arrived is frankly ridiculous. 

It was a quote I deliberately took out of context just to pull TRO's leg. I think you'll find he is very much on board with keeping Steve Bruce. I'm expecting retaliation from him sometime in the near future :)

I enjoyed watching that interview.

Looks well, calm, assured, confident, determined.

I think he made mistakes last year. I also think he was needlessly over defensive.

But you know, it feels good to have somebody with a proper air of authority in charge, and who can speak from a position of having achieved in the past what he needs to achieve now.

Roll on Kiddy Shrewsbury and Walsall !

So back to this 352 formation. (not a fan)

Saw an article in BMail saying Bruce may use Green as a wing back. 

Would it work?

If we are going to use this 352 formation.. only way it will work is if we have proper attacking full backs. Green would be worth a go... Bree on the other side maybe?

----------------------------Johnstone-----------------------------

----------Chester----------Terry---------------Baker-----------

Bree--------------------------------------------------------Green

-------------------------------Jedinak-----------------------------

----------------Hourihane----------------Lansbury-------------

----------------------------McCormack---------------------------

-------------------------------Kodjia-------------------------------

Only way i can see it working offensively.. if you have Taylor and Hutton.. plus Jedinak... we have no offensive help to the front four. 

Prefer we played a 433

Bree---------------Chester----------Terry---------------Taylor

--------------------Hogan--------------Kodjia--------------------

Or 442. 

-----------------Hourihane----------------Lansbury-------------

Adomah----------------------------------------------------Green

------------------------Hogan-----------Kodjia--------------------

We do have options. 

17 minutes ago, KSV said:

So back to this 352 formation. (not a fan)

Saw an article in BMail saying Bruce may use Green as a wing back. 

Would it work?

If we are going to use this 352 formation.. only way it will work is if we have proper attacking full backs. Green would be worth a go... Bree on the other side maybe?

----------Chester----------Terry---------------Baker-----------

Bree--------------------------------------------------------Green

-------------------------------Kodjia-------------------------------

Only way i can see it working offensively.. if you have Taylor and Hutton.. plus Jedinak... we have no offensive help to the front four. 

Prefer we played a 433

--------------------Hogan--------------Kodjia--------------------

Or 442. 

-----------------Hourihane----------------Lansbury-------------

Adomah----------------------------------------------------Green

------------------------Hogan-----------Kodjia--------------------

We do have options. 

433 of those for me , if not then 442 - not keen on 532 and with jedinak as well it's too negative.

50 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

It was a quote I deliberately took out of context just to pull TRO's leg. I think you'll find he is very much on board with keeping Steve Bruce. I'm expecting retaliation from him sometime in the near future :)

You tinker,I'm already on stress pills.:D

No,no,,no Dave.....just because I am a supporter of Steve Bruce as manager in our current state, does not mean I am right, I just think I am.....no retaliation.....but I am always happy to explain my reasoning.

time will ultimately be the judge.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Eastie said:

433 of those for me , if not then 442 - not keen on 532 and with jedinak as well it's too negative.

If whelan comes.....I think he will play.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Thank heavens we are not too far away from the actual start of the season, at which point this seemingly endless debate about whether Bruce will or won't succeed next season will conclude..

Just the misery of the pre-season to get through now...:)

But I doubt it will conclude unfortunately; for some the starting 11s will be 'wrong', then the subs will be too negative or at the wrong time, or we'll not get enough possession, or we should've beaten them 4-0 instead of 1-0, or Bacuna was in the match day squad when he should be no where near it... even if we get promoted then 'Bruce will never succeed at a higher level' or we barely scraped promotion when we should've 'bossed the league' ... these things seem to never end :( 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

But I doubt it will conclude unfortunately; for some the starting 11s will be 'wrong', then the subs will be too negative or at the wrong time, or we'll not get enough possession, or we should've beaten them 4-0 instead of 1-0, or Bacuna was in the match day squad when he should be no where near it... even if we get promoted then 'Bruce will never succeed at a higher level' or we barely scraped promotion when we should've 'bossed the league' ... these things seem to never end :( 

But that's football ?  Always has been, always will be, thank God..(the Bold bit not the other bit)

Just now, terrytini said:

But that's football ?  Always has been, always will be, thank God..(the Bold bit not the other bit)

I agree, that's football, we all think we're right and others are wrong. It's part of what makes us all debate and talk about football. Not necessarily a bad thing, just one of those things.

Â