Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

We are a work in progress.  The previous 6 seasons are a testament to that.  We are looking to improve.  We are actually improving.  We're on an upwards curve.  We are far from a finished article.  When you're looking to get somewhere, it is what you've done most recently that is most relevant, because that's a reflection of where things are heading.  In that sense I think Bruce has more than steadied the ship amnd we're now heading for promotion next season.  If you've come out the other side of a storm and all you can do is keep going on about the big waves that happened 3 months ago then I would wonder why you are ignoring what's happening now and what has been happening for the past 2 or 3 months.  Your posts suggest it is because your mind is not for changing, and that's not really a discussion.

My mind is not changing as Ive had pretty much a full season of Bruce. I like the rest of ye thought he might be a good appointment and I agree 100% he steadied the ship bu thats all I see from Bruce mid table ball with a team capable of more. To only look at the last couple of months is just not a great way of thinking. If Kodija hadnt been available say for those last 2 months we wouldnt have got more than 2 wins, how is it a sign of a good manager to have to rely on one player. You see us out the other side, I see us getting lucky for a spell, based on the fact the stats havent changed from the games, were still getting dominated and were still playing hoofball and even keeping clean sheets etc google some of the highlights and see how they easily could have gone the other way

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, astonaidan said:

Well I think its weak reasoning and selective thinking. That christmas spell is constantly used a reason as why wed do better, when that was the one time he had to do without Kodija and failed epically 

The constant of this "selective thinking" is change.

In the summer, we made a whole bunch of changes and struggled to hit the ground running - Di Matteo in poor form and eventually replaced as manager.  Bruce came in, the players were more used to each other, and results improved.

In January, once again we made a whole bunch of changes and struggled to hit the ground running - we had poor form under Bruce but he wasn't replaced as manager.  Once the players were more used to each other, results improved to the extent that we've won 7 and drawn 1 of our last 9 league games.

I understand people not liking Bruce or the way he's set out the side or whatever it may be, but you simply cannot argue against the results he has been getting for us nor the results he has gotten for poorer teams in the past.  To dismiss him right now at this stage?  That's being blinkered.  Or, rather, that's "weak reasoning".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Where are Huddersfield and Leeds in the table ? And on a budget quite below ours, and also with a better brand of football. 

Work that one out .

I don't even understand this point.  What are you trying to get at?

18 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Surely! Any Villa fan wants Bruce to succeed, am I not right?

Reading some of the posts on here, I fear you may not be right.

I hope that's not the case though. There's something incredibly sad about hoping the team you support fail just to be able to post "see, I told you so" on an internet forum.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The constant of this "selective thinking" is change.

In the summer, we made a whole bunch of changes and struggled to hit the ground running - Di Matteo in poor form and eventually replaced as manager.  Bruce came in, the players were more used to each other, and results improved.

In January, once again we made a whole bunch of changes and struggled to hit the ground running - we had poor form under Bruce but he wasn't replaced as manager.  Once the players were more used to each other, results improved to the extent that we've won 7 and drawn 1 of our last 9 league games.

I understand people not liking Bruce or the way he's set out the side or whatever it may be, but you simply cannot argue against the results he has been getting for us nor the results he has gotten for poorer teams in the past.  To dismiss him right now at this stage?  That's being blinkered.  Or, rather, that's "weak reasoning".

I like Bruce, I just dont rate him as a manager. To keep him at this stage is equally weak reasoning. You ignore the fact that without Kodija we were ****. Even with that settled squad excuse we were **** without Kodija. 

Look at Newcastle they made a raft of changes to there team, they didnt do so badly 7 starters I think they brought in. But heck lets ignore that, Villa signed 9 but thats including De Laet and Tshibola who were for different reasons never got a chance in the team. So 7 for each team

3 minutes ago, Godders said:

Reading some of the posts on here, I fear you may not be right.

I hope that's not the case though. There's something incredibly sad about hoping the team you support fail just to be able to post "see, I told you so" on an internet forum.

I havent seen that as the case, I personally have said I hope he proves me wrong. 100%, I will happily eat humble pie if he brings us up next year, I dont even want him to win the league just promotion

1 hour ago, astonaidan said:

Why is our horrible form in January over looked, but our winning streak hyped up. He was the manager for both spells. Theres a awful amount of selective thinking

I haven't overlooked it. I've included it. I specifically said even with that run we're still more or less producing play off form.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I haven't overlooked it. I've included it. I specifically said even with that run we're still more or less producing play off form.

You included it as a sidenote. You ignored the fact that we were **** when missing one, yes one player. Quality manager that he is, surely he should have been able to cope

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, astonaidan said:

You included it as a sidenote. You ignored the fact that we were **** when missing one, yes one player. Quality manager that he is, surely he should have been able to cope

I don't really understand what you think you've read.

My post was a post about Steve Bruce's Points Per Game as manager of Aston Villa. That PPG included the terrible run in January.

My point was that including that terrible run, we've still produced more or less play off form under Steve Bruce, and therefore even if we don't improve AT ALL, it's probable we'll be producing play off form next season.

I don't know what part of that you think I've excluded the January run from.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I don't really understand what you think you've read.

My post was a post about Steve Bruce's Points Per Game as manager of Aston Villa. That PPG included the terrible run in January.

My point was that including that terrible run, we've still produced more or less play off form under Steve Bruce, and therefore even if we don't improve AT ALL, it's probable we'll be producing play off form next season.

I don't know what part of that you think I've excluded the January run from.

I do understand, in the same way that you use it as a excuse you fail to comprehend we also had a 8 wins when play offs were out of reach against teams who season was finished. Take away the 8 wins and do we have play off ppg for example. No

Just now, astonaidan said:

I do understand, in the same way that you use it as a excuse you fail to comprehend we also had a 8 wins when play offs were out of reach against teams who season was finished. Take away the 8 wins and do we have play off ppg for example. No

What excuse? I haven't excused anything? 

And why would I take off the 8 wins? They happened. Just like the poor run happened. I've included everything in my point.

Do you not see the irony in (falsely) accusing me of excluding the poor run in January, and then replying with a point that excludes our good run?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, astonaidan said:

My mind is not changing as Ive had pretty much a full season of Bruce. I like the rest of ye thought he might be a good appointment and I agree 100% he steadied the ship bu thats all I see from Bruce mid table ball with a team capable of more. To only look at the last couple of months is just not a great way of thinking. If Kodija hadnt been available say for those last 2 months we wouldnt have got more than 2 wins, how is it a sign of a good manager to have to rely on one player. You see us out the other side, I see us getting lucky for a spell, based on the fact the stats havent changed from the games, were still getting dominated and were still playing hoofball and even keeping clean sheets etc google some of the highlights and see how they easily could have gone the other way

Mate, what planet are you currently on?

Haven't even read past this so you may well have come up with something profound in the rest of the post but I doubt it.

Bruce joined on October 12th (according to Wiki) and we're now on April 10th, that's six months and is absolutely not a full season.

I don't even know why I'm responding, fuel for the fire and all that.

• Like 1

Just now, astonaidan said:

This is odd. If we take away 8 wins we don't have a play off ppg. That's not exactly surprising is it. If we take away 8 defeats we'd be on to win the league. Means about as much as your example.

Stevo has done a ppg based on actual results not taking away results which don't fit the agenda. Seems more reliable to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What excuse? I haven't excused anything? 

And why would I take off the 8 wins? They happened. Just like the poor run happened. I've included everything in my point.

Do you not see the irony in (falsely) accusing me of excluding the poor run in January, and then replying with a point that excludes our good run?

Well you want to ignore that January spell, why would we no ignore the winning spell at the end of the season when a lot of teams are on the beach. You keep saying play off form, when 72 points isnt play off form. Your point has no reason at all tbh other than state we will miss the play offs next season if we get the same ppg again

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Mate, what planet are you currently on?

Haven't even read past this so you may well have come up with something profound in the rest of the post but I doubt it.

Bruce joined on October 12th (according to Wiki) and we're now on April 10th, that's six months and is absolutely not a full season.

I don't even know why I'm responding, fuel for the fire and all that.

Hence why I said pretty much brah, maybe you should read a little. How long do you think a season is mind? He wasnt in charge for 6 weeks at the start but has been for 6 much since, uh ok dude 

1 minute ago, astonaidan said:

Well you want to ignore that January spell, why would we no ignore the winning spell at the end of the season when a lot of teams are on the beach. 

No. I don't. This is like the 4th post where I've specifically emphasised that I am NOT ignoring it.

• Like 2

Â