Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I like debate

like anyone else on here who posts. They post what they think. what they think being what they think is right

I dont get it when posts are answered with comments like

"THEY (who they are I dont give a F) will all laugh at us" if we did this/that WTF?

or being slated without reasoning.

I remember the whole country being behind the darlings Ipswich. Nearly all our players were overlooked at international level. We were the Bastards of English football.

But guess who Won the league and Europe - AVFC.

Who cares what Sky, The Sun, Mirror, B'Mail think?

I want a club to be proud of - F*** the Glory hunters.

And anyone who thinks we are not worthy of them can go f themselves.

Out of likes dude.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He's not great but if it allows hourihane and especially lansbury more freedom it might have helped during that period without Jedinak. 

Playing lansbury as a holding midfield player certainly didn't work. 

Maybe because, he isn't one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

You write that like it has a relevance or something to be ashamed of.

It was my opinion, so I posted it. It doesn't need to have relevance.

1 hour ago, dappadan said:

The lack of patience in football I find quite staggering at times. There are so many different factors to a football club and for me stability plays such a key role. 

As a fanbase we just need to look at the last few years to see that. It is time for us all to come back together as a football club. Bruce had a good period followed by a bad period, this happens everywhere in football. Just look at Klopp at Liverpool. The one thing you always see with clubs who get promoted from the championship is a settled team with a united fanbase.

Until we do our bit to back the team and all staff we will not get back to where we should be. 

He had a few moments of vocal support from the Holte last night.....which must be encouraging for him.

Edited by TRO

Steve Bruce is the closest thing to guaranteed promotion that you can get. I lost my sense of reason with him because of the horrid results we were getting but it was during another moment of transition and it looks like we're slowly getting towards a style of play and settled starting line-up and formation. 

We have to stick with him and give him the whole of next season to prove he can get us up, in my opinion. If we don't get up next season, we should part ways and look for someone younger, a longer term appointment

44 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It was my opinion, so I posted it. It doesn't need to have relevance.

But you're giving credit to people/press/sky/pundits that have no input to what is best for us.

Why are you scared at people laughing at us who mean absolutely nothing to AVFC and what goes on at our club?

Edited by Grasshopper

It's funny. You can read these pages and think that there are millions of Bruce haters,  large part of the support. Then you go to the game and despite the many poor performances recently hear very, very vociferous support for him.  Quite took me back yesterday just how loud his name was being sung. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Steve Bruce is the closest thing to guaranteed promotion that you can get. I lost my sense of reason with him because of the horrid results we were getting but it was during another moment of transition and it looks like we're slowly getting towards a style of play and settled starting line-up and formation. 

We have to stick with him and give him the whole of next season to prove he can get us up, in my opinion. If we don't get up next season, we should part ways and look for someone younger, a longer term appointment

To be fair, I don't think we should be getting carried away by two results as we were at this same place a couple months ago.

I,am,cautiously optimistic, but we do come off as fickle and indecisive. Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, I don't think we should be getting carried away by two results as we were at this same place a couple months ago.

I,am,cautiously optimistic, but we do come off as fickle and indecisive. Lol

I'm not getting carried away. I think I'm at my most sensible at the moment as far as being a villa fan goes. Not carried away either way. 

At least I've given myself something to look back on, so if we get thumped by Rotherham on Saturday I can remind myself what I think when I'm not in a post-match mood

• Like 1

9 times out of 10 the more attacking the football the better chance of success. So lets run look at Barca, Bayern and Real Madrid. The three strongest teams in Europe. I'll look at Man City as well (England best team despite league position). Who else shall I look at?! Monaco, top of their league average 4 goals a game? 

There are anomalies which allowed 'defensive' teams to get success. Lets look at Atletico (La Liga winners 2013/14) or Leicester last season. But for them to have success they need to attacking teams to drop off a few level/s.

Therefore Steve Bruce gaining promotion previously is an anomaly.

Our chances would be increased with attacking manager/football. 

Therefore we should get rid when we are safe and getting a higher calibre manager in.

Edited by NottingVilla
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

9 times out of 10 the more attacking the football the better chance of success. So lets run look at Barca, Bayern and Real Madrid. The three strongest teams in Europe. I'll look at Man City as well (England best team despite league position). Who else shall I look at?! Monaco, top of their league average 4 goals a game? 

There are anomalies which allowed 'defensive' teams to get success. Lets look at Atletico (La Liga winners 2013/14) or Leicester last season. But for them to have success they need to attacking teams to drop off a few level/s.

Therefore we should get rid when we are safe and getting a higher calibre manager in.

In the best leagues in the world maybe. But you ignore Chelsea this season who build from very good organisation. You can't compare the championship to the leagues those teams are competing in. 

For me, Bruce needs to get the basics right, get the shape and organisation and build from there. He's finally getting there. 

And the 3 strongest teams in Europe also contain the worlds best players, which I'm guessing helps a little ;)

10 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

But you're giving credit to people/press/sky/pundits that have no input to what is best for us.

No I'm not. 

10 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Why are you scared at people laughing at us who mean absolutely nothing to AVFC and what goes on at our club?

I'm not.

10 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

So 9 times out of 10... of the teams you've picked.

As others have pointed out, there are countless examples of more defensively minded teams being very successful. Barcelona themselves play defensive football masquerading as attacking (ok less so these days, but over the past 10 years). It's just not defensive in the traditional sense.

But anyway, the whole point of this debate seems to have gotten mixed up. You and others seem to be inferring that people are saying we should be DELIBERATELY defensive because that's better.

That's not what people are saying. People are just saying that others put too much faith in "good football" when, in reality, good football is winning football.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

There has to be a balance.....you cannot go out and adopt a defensive or attacking policy in a single dimensional form.

Its also noticeable that Attacking players are harder to come by( usually more expensive) so that is a factor to consider, when talking generally.

We are going through a massive transition that will take some time, money and windows....right now our immediate priority is to stop hemorrhaging goals , from there we can build confidence spread the play open spaces and play football......and gradually improve our way back to respectability.

first things first.

Managers, play to their strengths and to what personnel they have..... in the main.

5 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

That's four times out of six. Steve Bruce's promotions (that 's' at the end is important) aren't an anomaly, as your points about Atletico and Leicester prove.

if it was just about attacking Newcastle would've won the league under Keegan, Spurs would've won it under Ardiles, and Tim Sherwood would be Utd manager instead of defensively-minded, multi-title-winning Jose Moutinho.

See also Argentina 1990, Greece 2004, Italy 2006, 1-0 to the Arsenal, and Liverpool's inability to win trophies with attacking football under Rodgers and Klopp.

and Jimmy White, would have cleaned up in snooker.

but we all know BALANCE is key......you have be able to do both and know when to do it.

• Like 1

Â