England v Malta & Slovenia v England

andykeenan

3 minutes ago, Nicho said:

What is Rooney doing in midfield again 

Judginf by the first 5 minutes...and the last 3 years, giving the ball away, getting caught in possession, passing backwards and playing pointless pretty balls out to his fullback.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

It's such a boring group.

Why can't England get drawn against an Italy or Holland...at least those would be exciting matches.

with Southgate in charge at least games with Slovenia and Scotland will be interesting ;)

• Like 1

Oh yeah I'm not expecting England to win all ten games this time but Scotland and Slovenia won't have the consistency to challenge for 1st.

Last interesting group England were in were qualifiers for euro 2008 with Croatia and Russia in with them. We all know what happened there but that went down to the last minute of the last game so at least some tension and drama in that group....England will qualify from this one with at least two games to spare.

Don't get the Rooney hate to be honest. He's playing in centre midfield and is doing as good a job as anybody else we could play there. He's playing fairly deep but if Alli is right up with the striker and both wide players are high up the pitch then that's no issue for me. 

As for the "red card" challenge, if that's a card of any kind we might as well get rid of tackling from the game! 

14 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Don't get the Rooney hate to be honest. He's playing in centre midfield and is doing as good a job as anybody else we could play there. He's playing fairly deep but if Alli is right up with the striker and both wide players are high up the pitch then that's no issue for me. 

As for the "red card" challenge, if that's a card of any kind we might as well get rid of tackling from the game! 

Time and again when Rooney plays in midfield and faces teams with pace who press him he has no answer.

See the Manchester derby a few weeks back when Man. City ran rings round him and Fellani....Iceland in the summer pressed Rooney to death and he had no answer.

I don't even think he's been that good today despite Malta just sitting back and being content to keep the score down.

That's the thing Rooney can play well against these, me and you probably could.. But he isn't a midfielder and I wouldn't want to build a team around him in that role so we may as well play someone else. Dier, Ward Prowse (who knows Southgate) or Drinkwater could do the job equally as well and are going to be around longer 

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

That's the thing Rooney can play well against these, me and you probably could.. But he isn't a midfielder and I wouldn't want to build a team around him in that role so we may as well play someone else. Dier, Ward Prowse (who knows Southgate) or Drinkwater could do the job equally as well and are going to be around longer 

This is fair enough but Rooney is a better fit for a game like this than a player like Dier who isn't as good on the ball. 

I'm not suggesting we build a team around Rooney in centre midfield but as an option in the squad and in matches like today's I have no real issue with him playing.

I don't think he's great but he's not keeping anyone very good out of the team as far as I can see.

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Was about to come and say the same. Its hard to criticise at 2-0, but Rooney has done nothing that I couldnt have done against the same apposition. Id much rather have seen Ward-Prowse a chance as I really rate him. 

Time for a manager to force Rooneys choice of retirement. He is not the future of this team and needs to be treated as such. 

Biggest pile of shit I have ever watched this. Nice to know we have learnt from all of Roy's mistakes and played exactly the same personnel, shape, tactics. Looking forward to Rooney driving us on in 2018 from midfield.

special mention to Theo, on his 40th game (approx) against dog shit men behind the ball teams he has once again proven to be laughably bad technically and mentally. Not an ounce of ability....but then we all knew that. Why? Just why?

...I also wonder do the pundits and commentators of Spain, Germany etc blow smoke up their players arse as much as we do when beating these minnows? This was a **** embarrassment. Call it as it is.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Biggest pile of shit I have ever watched this. Nice to know we have learnt from all of Roy's mistakes and played exactly the same personnel, shape, tactics. Looking forward to Rooney driving us on in 2018 from midfield.

special mention to Theo, on his 40th game (approx) against dog shit men behind the ball teams he has once again proven to be laughably bad technically and mentally. Not an ounce of ability....but then we all knew that. Why? Just why?

...I also wonder do the pundits and commentators of Spain, Germany etc blow smoke up their players arse as much as we do when beating these minnows? This was a **** embarrassment. Call it as it is.

Lingard, Walcott, Bertrand, Henderson, Stones and Sturridge all hardly played under Hodgson. 

Walcott hasn't been good here but has done well for Arsenal lately. Haven't really seen to much overhyping of England players lately to be honest. 

Italy beat Malta 1-0 twice in their last qualifying group. A routine 2-0 win is hardly embarrassing IMO. Their keeper was pretty decent in the first half too. This could have been 4 or 5 easily. 

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Always been the same and will no doubt continue, it's aimed at the Liverpool and Utd casual fans, everything is awesome, my favourite is still Rooney smashing a shot in to the upper tier of Wembley and Andy Townsend saying "well it was the right idea Clive" 

if our media called a spade a spade I think we'd have a very different national team, instead we go the other way, every one of the **** is "world class"

Â