Next Villa Manager

Richard

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Maybe because he has zero promotions and could be seen as a risk. Bruce isnt as much as a gamble

Maybe league one level but he's achieved promotions with four different clubs, Blackpool, Preston, Huddersfield and Leeds. Never suffered relegation at any level unlike Bruce. Always worked for clubs on small budgets.

• Like 1

I don't like Steve Bruce as a manager.  I'm pretty sure it is not a rational dislike, he seems like a decent enough human being and has more experience than most at doing what we need done to our club.  I just have never ever liked a single one of the teams he has managed.  It isn't even a Leicester sort of dislike where I learned to hate playing them because they kept on beating us in rancid games. Bruce teams were the matches that I just wouldn't bother watching.  The problem with my dislike is that I'm fairly confident we will improve under him if he comes in, which is what I want.  But I also want to want to go to the games.  I suppose I will cheer a goal going in like a demented donkey dancing on hot coals regardless of how it gets in the back of the net, so I will get over it if the results come.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Sorry. Didn't realise we were struggling in the PL with an cheaply assembled team. Agreed he is moderately poor at that and might get us relegated after a couple of years of struggle. Let's get in Pulis to ensure we don't drop out of the PL by the end of the season. 

So why bother then? As you say we all know the likely outcome- why not consider a longer term fix with a view to kicking on once more, upon our eventual return to the premier league- for me Bruce's management style is not going to take us back to where most of us feel we should be. This will end badly if it happens.

I dont know why, but I just don't wan't Bruce, to boring, dislike him, he signs many awful players. But our choices are very limited. I do like the idea of having a Villa fan as manager (Dean Smith), although I know nothing about him, but the other Villa fans that we have had as managers that I can remember are Brian Little and John Gregory, who both did very well, and the football was very entertaining :)

We could also go away from this country and try to find the next Wagner or Karanka ? that would be the ideal choice for me.

• Like 1

This is one of the reasons I'd rather have Wagner over Bruce. Having worked with the footbonaut, his time spent working & learing from Klopp and vice versa. He would IMO bring a higher level of training  innovation, alongside hard graft & making us well drilled. Hallmarks of Dortmund, Liverpool and Huddersfield 

i just couldn't see Bruce pushing to get this installed at BMH. Hopefully Wagner would, it would help us develop better players and improve what we have. (Would love to see Jedinak & Hutton trying to use it) 

Maybe that's unfair, but Bruce doesn't strike more as an innovator at all. 

I understand your position @Gary Thomas.

As you've said, he could get promoted rather than finish 17th. That makes the guy a real unknown at the moment. We're not going to have any good idea as to whether he's the next Guardiola, or another manager destined for the lower leagues (or anything in between) until he's got at least a season under his belt, and preferably more and with more than 1 team.

Now's not the time for taking a huge gamble like this. There will be times in the future where a gamble makes sense, but now is not one of them because the risk of getting it wrong is too big.

We may well miss the boat if Wagner gets Huddersfield promoted and into Europe in 5 years. It's more likely though that their form will fizzle out and they won't get promoted this season. 

Even if we do miss the boat, there will be others who will be lauded as the next best thing. When we're a bit more stable then we can look at getting someone in who makes sure the most intense part of training sessions start at 4.27pm.

• Like 1

Maybe Bruce is the answer.

With his old style football, maybe we need to get back to basics to escape the dross and shambles on the pitch that has been evident the past few seasons.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

This ^^^^^

Long term maybe not Bruce but short term to stop the rot and to turn around a super-tanker heading the wrong way down the channel, maybe yes ..... in fact, definitely yes.

No good signing a technical coach - as RDM was - because you need more than technical nous to turn Villa round. That is as much about man motivation and passion and leadership as it is anything more clever.

I don't think I've ever agreed with you more Paul... Though I don't think I've ever agreed with you :D

I won't be heartbroken should they go down a different path, but for me he's the right man at the right time. We should take advantage of that opportunity, for once.

We really do need think short term here. 1-2 seasons. We need back in the PL as quickly as possible, he presents the best chance of that. 

No brainer.

• Like 1

Didn't the man himself say there were 3 stages  to his plan

now maybe the next Eddie Howe \ Wagner etc could get us out of this division and play Barcelona style football as we do it and we can act like West Ham fans and tell everyone that we play football the way it should be played whilst deriding the likes of Bruce and Allardyce... but I suspect for right here right now , Bruce is what we need to get out this division , his Hull brutally kicked the crap out of Grealish the other year (it may have even been 3 bookings in about 5 tackles )  , it can only have been on the mangers instruction  .. and I guess that's what we need right about now , Brentford's ginger lad dictated the game v us at VP , Bruce may be limited with his tactical nuance , but I bet he sure as hell would have know to stick someone on him and stop him playing  

We're Aston Villa , we  can poach the likes of Howe or Wanger once we are back in the Prem and move onto phase 2 ... where I don't think Bruce can take us with his limited football philosophy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jon_c said:

If you need someone who can motivate the players, the problem is with your players. Not the manager. 

Don't think they need motivation tbh - they need guidance and organization.  Most of this current crop seem completely committed, as you would expect, but they often look rudderless to me with no real plan.  Think any new coach will be an improvement in that respect. 

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Godders said:

Even if we do miss the boat, there will be others who will be lauded as the next best thing. When we're a bit more stable then we can look at getting someone in who makes sure the most intense part of training sessions start at 4.27pm.

Which was, frankly, one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. You cannot train the human body, physiologically, to such a degree. There are way too many variables. 

I'd think he was bonkers myself, like some kind of cult leader. 

22 minutes ago, AJ said:

Maybe Bruce is the answer.

With his old style football, maybe we need to get back to basics to escape the dross and shambles on the pitch that has been evident the past few seasons.

Great point mate.

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Which was, frankly, one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. You cannot train the human body, physiologically, to such a degree. There are way too many variables. 

I'd think he was bonkers myself, like some kind of cult leader. 

You can train fitness to peak at certain times. Tour de france cyclists do this so they peak and week 2 of the 3 week tour. Not sure a footballer can peak at a precise hour\minute though (well none of ours anyway -Id settle for once a fortnight with some of em !) 

Edited by hippo