Next Villa Manager

Richard

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You think or you know?

Why would you think the board are looking at Zeljko Buvac?

As much of an interesting appointment it would be, I don't see it happening imo.

Sorry @AvfcRigo82 I meant in terms of the potential Wagner appointment.  

Well it's at times like this that I wonder just how much any potential new (currently employed) manager looks at the Doctor's tweets and thinks "f**k that, I am not going to that madhouse".

And that's whether you're for or against his tweets as a Villa fan.  I just wonder if it factors into someone else's decision process.  I suspect that it does to some degree.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Not saying you're wrong Hippo, but I would hazard a guess that there's a fair number of examples to suggest that a good no.2 can make a big difference.

Look at Pearson without his team at Derby... look how much Hull improved when Phelan came in to support Bruce.  A lot of people on here who were questioning RDM were (rightly in my opinion) much more comfortable when he brought in Clarke - and I think we're right to have expected more from him.

It can help a good manager.

it won't make a crap manager good. 

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Trust me mate, even with £1m in my back pocket and we won the league - it still wouldn't be right.

We are already the laughing stock of football.. is this just the next act?

Steve Bruce.  **** me what has it came too.

It's come to sitting 19th in the Championship.

• Like 1

I don’t think hiring Wagner is as big a risk as people are making out.

Football is always evolving. We are at the point now where most if not all successful teams are moving to a game plan built around powerful running and pressing.  

This is the thinking that shaped Peps Barcelona back in 2008 and has since shaped the likes of Atletico, Dortmund and most recently Spurs and Liverpool in England.

This is also central to Wagners system.

It may be a bigger risk to not move with the times.

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

I just wonder if it factors into someone else's decision process.  I suspect that it does to some degree.

I would say salary, size of the club and transfer budget (all of which I think we'd smash any other club bar Newcastle out of the park onin the Champo) would come much higher up the list.

Plus it's hardly like Xia's undermined RDM on twitter.

Just now, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

I would say salary, size of the club and transfer budget (all of which I think we'd smash any other club bar Newcastle out of the park onin the Champo) would come much higher up the list.

Plus it's hardly like Xia's undermined RDM on twitter.

Higher up the list maybe, but "to some degree" puts it on the list.

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sometimes I am lost for words...

Lets not hire the guy who has a great chance of achieving our immediate goal of getting promoted because he might not be the man for the phase after that?????

So whats the solution then?

Taking the risk on someone who might actually build something here and then giving him the support and resources to do so

I really believe that our issue is going to be chasing instant promotion rather than buildig something sustainablefor the future

Like I said I don't mind us buying a good young squad playing good football and spending 2 years down here and then going up full of beans with players who are still developing 

At the moment I'm concerned about the squad and the overhaul that would be required before we were prem ready and if we got Bruce I'd be very concerned, Bruce did ok with teams where staying up was an achievement, he has a PL win rate of around 30%, I'm tired of that shit 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Taking the risk on someone who might actually build something here and then giving him the support and resources to do so

I really believe that our issue is going to be chasing instant promotion rather than buildig something sustainablefor the future

Like I said I don't mind us buying a good young squad playing good football and spending 2 years down here and then going up full of beans with players who are still developing

At the moment I'm concerned about the squad and the overhaul that would be required before we were prem ready and if we got Bruce I'd be very concerned, Bruce did ok with teams where staying up was an achievement, he has a PL win rate of around 30%, I'm tired of that shit

You make it sound like "2 years down here then go up full of beans with players who are still developing" is like something we can just buy a ticket for. How on earth could you actually plan than?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KHV said:

We do need an immediate impact and for the remainder of the season he would be a great shout. Rotherham were wank last season before he went there and then I think they only lost 1 in 13 or something like that.

why thank you..... Cant see it happening, but if they want a quick fix, Warnock would come in, bang a few skulls together...... and get us up the table........ move him upstairs once were back in prem...........

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Can I ask why we are all so focused on Bruce, when we have managers out there available to the caliber of Roberto Manchini!

Its probably a lot to do with the very realistic possibility that such 'Caliber' managers would laugh if asked to play in the championship!

Most around here are realistic of the division and prediciment we find ourselves in.

• Like 1