Next Villa Manager

Richard

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

I agree fwiw.  But my spidey sense is tingling with this one.  To go back to your right/safe analogy, I think that while he may be less safe from a gambling perspective I think he is more right in the long run.  I accept that this is all opinion, as most of this thread is.  But his approach to things allied to his results this season for me just makes him the most potentially exciting candidate.  The man just really seems to know his onions, and that would be a novelty for a Villa manager.

I wouldn't be averse to Rowett FWIW.  I would just have him a little lower down.

It really would wouldn't it!  Other than Garde at the beginning of his short reign (before he realised he'd been shafted and his head went), I haven't seen a single Villa manager in the last 5 years come in and look like he knows what he's doing.

That's what disappointed me most about RDM and Clarke - together I thought they would have us playing with some shape and semblance of a plan, it's been the total opposite!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

Tbf to robbie savage he's been right about a few things re villa in recent times.

TBF it's easy to predict that something doing badly will keep doing badly. The stock market is full of people who can follow a trendline. Talent is being able to predict when things are going to change, before it happens, more than once. 

'Betting against Villa' is a pretty safe bet, all things considered. 

2 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

It really would wouldn't it!  Other than Garde at the beginning of his short reign (before he realised he'd been shafted and his head went), I haven't seen a single Villa manager in the last 5 years come in and look like he knows what he's doing.

That's what disappointed me most about RDM and Clarke - together I thought they would have us playing with some shape and semblance of a plan, it's been the total opposite!

A management team never works. If you think your manager is a bit crap - there is an idea that you can boost him with a good deputy or assistant - or put him in a 'structure' - never works.....just get the best guy you can as manager - and let him get on with it.

6 minutes ago, allani said:

"If there is any glimmer of chance of getting Dyche or Howe, they both fall in the middle and offer the best balance.   Would be delighted with either and would be a massive statement of intent."

Really?  I think they might be decent appointments.  But I would hardly think that the rest of the division would be thinking "oh **** - Villa are really going for it now".  Also given Xia's stated ambition I hardly think that either will get us to the top levels of the Premier League.  A massive statement of intent would be signing a manager who a team in the Top 10 of the Premier League would be happy with.  A bit like the BFS at Newcastle.  That is a massive statement of intent.  I don't think we'll be getting a massive statement of intent this time around - as we are too much of a gamble (big difference between fighting for survival in the PL than in the Championship).

Well, they are currently 12th and 13th so close enough to top 10.  We are 19th in the championship so persuading someone to step down from that level to us would be, for me, a massive statement of intent.   Given what they are producing with much smaller clubs they should be able to take us comfortably into the top 10 (theoretically!)

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sometimes I am lost for words...

Lets not hire the guy who has a great chance of achieving our immediate goal of getting promoted because he might not be the man for the phase after that?????

So whats the solution then?

There is some logic to this - say we do appoint Bruce, who has a poor record in the prem, and its determined sometime after promotion that we need a new guy, changing manager again would bring more instability, when really we should be focused on becoming an established team in the top flight once more.

9 minutes ago, Hairdo said:

I think the board are looking at Liverpool and how Klopp has them playing and thinking how we can copy. Cant get Kloop obviously so get the next best thing.. his assistant

You think or you know?

Why would you think the board are looking at Zeljko Buvac?

As much of an interesting appointment it would be, I don't see it happening imo.

2 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

All the abuse that has ben dished out by villa fans towards Bruce over the years and now he is gonna be the manager ??

It doesnt feel right.

£1M in his back pocket - and a few victories for us - it will feel right then....

4 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

All the abuse that has ben dished out by villa fans towards Bruce over the years and now he is gonna be the manager ??

It doesnt feel right.

True, It is like seeing the town bike getting rogered by all your mates over the years... then you make her your wife!

2 minutes ago, GodsBarkeep said:

There is some logic to this - say we do appoint Bruce, who has a poor record in the prem, and its determined sometime after promotion that we need a new guy, changing manager again would bring more instability, when really we should be focused on becoming an established team in the top flight once more.

Tommorows problem.

Lets deal with the problem at hand - winning games in the championship

40 minutes ago, Richard said:

I dont' give a flying **** if it is gamble or safe,  it needs to be right.  You could get a gamble that was right or safe that was wrong.  The managers you have listed were all ultimately wrong for us for whatever reason: Poor backing, numpty, no backing or over rated.  Any managerial pick is a gamble at the end of the day as you never know what they will do or if the challenge or support they would get was understood.  So the gamble or safe argument doesn't wash with me.  Like saying someone has X promotions to their CV.  At one time those same managers had no promotions on their CV and had to achieve something,  had to take a step up to succeed.

" the equivalent to signing a few established Premier League players with dependable attitudes " well there comes a time ,  a tipping point,  when the powers and skills of a player / manager have waned never to return.  Where they are going downhill and time's up.  They have done the best they can reached as high as they will and no longer will be able to achieve.  This is Steve Bruce for me.  It's also a few others.

What I want is a manager who has shown good ability,  is on an upward trajectory and able to progress further with us as a club and them and really kick on.  I am not demanding instant this year success as I never felt we would get that anyway.  I want someone for longevity as I also truly believe chopping and changing managers regularly will cripple us as a club.  I want a manager just able to step up to the top level and build with us so that next year we can achieve promotion as for me that is the only route to building a stable foundation for future success.

Steve Bruce is not that man.

There is basically no way of telling if a manager is going to be a success before they are appointed, outside of a very small handful of 'elite' managers who have never been anything but successful, and which we couldn't afford or attract. 

If it were possible to predict which managers would be successful, everyone would do it, and then it wouldn't work any more. The only club I can think of who have sustained success in recent years in picking managers is Southampton. As far as I'm aware, there are no other examples in English football. 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

£1M in his back pocket - and a few victories for us - it will feel right then....

Trust me mate, even with £1m in my back pocket and we won the league - it still wouldn't be right.

We are already the laughing stock of football.. is this just the next act?

Steve Bruce.  **** me what has it came too.

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You think or you know?

Why would you think the board are looking at Zeljko Buvac?

As much of an interesting appointment it would be, I don't see it happening imo.

Without answering for Hairdo, i think he was referring to Wagner, who was the B team manager at BD when Klopp was in charge  

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

A management team never works. If you think your manager is a bit crap - there is an idea that you can boost him with a good deputy or assistant - or put him in a 'structure' - never works.....just get the best guy you can as manager - and let him get on with it.

Not saying you're wrong Hippo, but I would hazard a guess that there's a fair number of examples to suggest that a good no.2 can make a big difference.

Look at Pearson without his team at Derby... look how much Hull improved when Phelan came in to support Bruce.  A lot of people on here who were questioning RDM were (rightly in my opinion) much more comfortable when he brought in Clarke - and I think we're right to have expected more from him.

4 minutes ago, GodsBarkeep said:

Nope, still makes no sense to me. Get the right man for phase 1 otherwise there is no phase 2.

• Like 2