Next Villa Manager

Richard

1 hour ago, kevpants said:

I never want to see him manage this sh1tbox of a club and ruin his reputation. Imagine if we sacked Martin Laursen? 

Laursen will be very lucky if he ever gets the opportunity to manage Aston Villa.

• Like 1

Why must the manager have a lot of experience ? Karanka and Jokanovic have gotten Watford and Middlesbrough promoted in the last two seasons, Sean Dyche and Eddie Howe have won the league the two last seasons, they are not what I would have called very experienced, Bruce and Neil are the two other managers that were promoted the last two seasons, with Neil having no previous experience in the league what so ever, look at the teams that are doing well this season. out of the top 6, the most experienced are Benitez (never managed in the league before) and Neil. Hughton also has experience, but he had no manager experience AT ALL when he won promotion with Newcastle. This experience myth is stupid. What this league has shown season after season is that stars don't win it, but proper teams that work hard do well. Also I just don't get the obsession with experience, RDM had experienced, he has won this league before, he even won the champions League. I'd rather we tried for someone that has long term goals than someone limited like Bruce. And why not go for someone that is not already in the UK ? Karanka last season, Jokanovic the previous and Wagner this season all prove that foreigners can be good in this league if they are good managers.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I have a new tactic for being a villa fan, I've just stopped caring.

Don't care who the new manager is, don't care what our last result was, don't care who we're playing next and don't care where we are in the league.

I don't care.

Thank you Aston Villa for ruining my love of football.

SOTV

I hear ya. I have even returned, after a decade long break, to watching American Football .....AMERICAN FOOTBALL!!......as a kind of catharsis to watching proper football.

Only trouble is that it turns out my team - Chicago Bears - are apparently the Aston Villa of Gridiron now, are total garbage and were 0-3 before last night!

I just kinda suck at picking sports teams I guess :(

Just now, Chicken Field said:

Why must the manager have a lot of experience ? Karanka and Jokanovic have gotten Watford and Middlesbrough promoted in the last two seasons, Sean Dyche and Eddie Howe have won the league the two last seasons, they are not what I would have called very experienced, Bruce and Neil are the two other managers that were promoted the last two seasons, with Neil having no previous experience in the league what so ever, look at the teams that are doing well this season. out of the top 6, the most experienced are Benitez (never managed in the league before) and Neil. Hughton also has experience, but he had no manager experience AT ALL when he won promotion with Newcastle. This experience myth is stupid. What this league has shown season after season is that stars don't win it, but proper teams that work hard do well. Also I just don't get the obsession with experience, RDM had experienced, he has won this league before, he even won the champions League. I'd rather we tried for someone that has long term goals than someone limited like Bruce. And why not go for someone that is not already in the UK ? Karanka last season, Jokanovic the previous and Wagner this season all prove that foreigners can be good in this league if they are good managers.

Well Remi Garde. 

3 minutes ago, perchman said:

I can't help feeling that Garde happened at the wrong time, certain individuals in the dressing room and their insolence, Paddy Reilly and his influence on Lerner and how stitched Garde was in the transfer market.

I'd wouldn't be adverse to giving him another go * 

*subject to who else is available

No he didn't -  he was so shit that you think there must be more to him than we seen in his few disastrous months at villa.

He was just rank shite from day 1 until the day he left - hasn't had a flurry of offers since he left - If we got points for sulking he'd be champions league - but we don't 

• Like 1

Even if we agree for a minute that Garde may have been the right man at the wrong time, what on earth makes people think that now is somehow the right time?  We're sitting 19th in the Championship with confidence seemingly quickly evaporating from our new charges.  Imagine if it turned out that Garde was in fact the wrong man at the wrong time, and we've just given him a side sitting just above relegation. Would you really be willing to take that risk?  It doesn't bear thinking about to be honest.  Maybe maybe in a few years when we're sitting pretty in the Premier League and he has also done something else noteworthy elsewhere.

• Like 2

I get the feeling a lot of people calling for Gary Rowett haven't watched Blues play. They are effective in terms of results but sit very deep, even in home games, and look to counter-attack. Bruce and McCarthy aren't exactly known as risk-takers but they would have us playing better football, and have a track record at this level over a much longer period. McCarthy has finished top 2 with Sunderland and Wolves, and top 6 with Ipswich. Bruce has four promotions, Rowett's in his very early days at this level so is pretty unproven with a best so far of 9th, there's literally no advantage to him over Bruce or McCarthy.

Edited by AvfcTheObsession

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

No he didn't -  he was so shit that you think there must be more to him than we seen in his few disastrous months at villa.

He was just rank shite from day 1 until the day he left - hasn't had a flurry of offers since he left - If we got points for sulking he'd be champions league - but we don't 

Maybe you're right but I do feel the inability of Paddy to let him buy any players, the fact that we had some spiteful rocket polishers in the squad and Lerner was getting romantically nourished elsewhere might've been mitigating factors

1 minute ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

I get the feeling a lot of people calling for Gary Rowett haven't watched Blues play. They are effective in terms of results but sit very deep, even in home games, and look to counter-attack. Bruce and McCarthy aren't exactly known as risk-takers but they would have us playing better football, and have a track record at this level over a much longer period. McCarthy has finished top 2 with Sunderland and Wolves, and top 6 with Ipswich. Rowett's best so far is 9th.

I'm certainly not advocating Rowett in this post BUT that 9th place needs to be taken in the context of the resources at his disposal, not to mention the ownership he works under.  It's a minor miracle and he clearly has something about him.  I'll admit I've never watched one of his games so I take it anecdotally that he's got a very dour footballing style.