Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Rotherham

limpid

Very enjoyable, we played some really nice stuff. There was one move in particular where 5 players each pinged one touch, crisp passes into each other (all in the space of about 5 seconds), and Grealish would have been in on goal but for a great last ditch challenge from the defender.

The only slight worry was that we lost every single knock down in the middle of the park - westwood and tshibola were very tidy on the ball, but lost out a bit physically at times - better teams may have caused us problems due to that. However, get a tough no nonsense mid in there (Jedinak) and i think that solves any issue.

I literally cannot recall the last time I watched an Aston Villa game and there was at no point in the game some kind of panic between the centre backs scrambling around trying to rectify a disaster. 

• Like 3

Feels so strange to be happy and content after a villa game - just soaking it in.

Win Tuesday, bring in a few more players, and i think we will be in great shape.  

Tougher tests to come, but I expect us to get stronger and stronger as players integrate and RDM's ideas become more embedded.

Just back, my ratings.

Gollini 6

Didn't have an awful lot to do, looked assured at times, but flapped at a few crosses. Not surprising working with a completely new defensive unit  

Bacuna 7

I've been very critical of Bacuna, but today he deserves credit for an assured performance. Looked comfortable in defensive and linked well with Ayew, we all know he weaknesses but after today i would say that he is comfortably our best option at Right Back.

Chester 7

You certainly couldn't tell that this guy was only signed yesterday.Looked composed and confident, i think him and Elphick are going to form a very good partnership.

Elphick 8

The guy is a different class. Constantly talking to his team mates, encouraging everyone around him including the fans. We have a real leader here, something we have been crying out for.

Cissokho 6

Had a decent enough game but will surely find himself on the bench once Amavi is fit. In this league, and against teams as poor as Rotherham our fullbacks almost become wingers, and whilst as willing as ever to get forward, it certainly isn't a strong point.

NT

Make no mistake Rotherham are poor, but this is the first time in a number of years i felt confident in our defence. 

Tshibola 7

Drifting in and out of the game, as you would maybe expect from a young man in a new team, but is showing signs of becoming a very powerful midfielder. Strong in the tackle, hard working, good passing range. good player.

Westwood 7

Neat and tidy in possesion and worked hard. Would have liked to see him get further forward given that the opposition offered very little.

Ayew 7

Created a couple really good chances with powerful direct running and worked very well with Bacuna. As with Westwood though, he seemed very very deep, would like to have seen more.

McCormack 6

Still settling in, you can see the bloke has class, and there was some lovely 1 touch football in and around the box with Gestede and Grealish. Will be a big player once up to speed.

Grealish 8

Certainly one of his better performances. Jack is always comfortable on the ball, and today added a final product which is sometimes missing. My only criticism would be that he should maybe have scored a couple more, his shooting is atrocious. 

Gestede 8

Looked like a different player today. Won almost everything in the air and really put himself about. 2 Good goals to go with a very good performance.

44 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Ooh forgot to mention: new pies! From a company called Phat. I had the balti one, and very nice it was too. 9/10 I would say, although the pastry was a bit too thick for those flimsy plastic forks.

Wait, what? This is actually big **** news. I rather liked the old ones so these better be good.

2 hours ago, MachoFantastico said:

****. U cant watch it from Germany.

First goal was clearly a header from Rudy after a cross from Cissokho (Oh I forgot that Cissokho cant cross, so I quickly edited my post...). But the other 2?

Can someone pls tell.

Anyway very nice victory.

We won 4-0 at Sunderland two seasons ago.

The last time we won by a bigger margin than 2 I think.

Edited by Denis242

11 minutes ago, Denis242 said:

****. U cant watch it from Germany.

Search for Hola VPN that will allow you to watch any website in the world a nice little add on to google!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Wait, what? This is actually big **** news. I rather liked the old ones so these better be good.

Yep big change. I also liked the old pukka pies. The new ones are less flaky pastry and a bit more like shortcrust, and the balti contents were more tomato-ey than previously and perhaps a tad spicier. I liked it a lot actually, but it was harder to eat due to the nature of the pastry. Others may not like the change and I could understand that.

I also highly approve of the presence of Green King IPA but I didn't buy a bottle and at £4 I'm not sure I will be buying a lot.

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Jack's goal was awesome. So happy for him. 

I thought that he was being forced too far to the right - then he proved me wrong! Terrific goal and well deserved, after how he played Rotherham off the Park. Looks like he has matured :)

What a great day. Solid at the back (even at full back with Aly and Leandro!?), clean sheet, controlled the game and created a lot of chances. 

This is the first time in a long time that I felt togetherness was there from the top (Xia) to the players to the fans in a very long time. 

It was just what the doctor ordered today. A huge confidence boost. If we bring in Jedinak/Ledley De Laet and Hernadez/Wells/Bamford we're surely serious contenders. 

• Like 1

Saw the highlights on 5 (such as they were ) so all I can really comment on is the goals, but they were three very welcome bits of class - especially Gresford's, which showed some lovely control. And who would have thought Gestede had that much movement in him? Top stuff, more of the same please.

Just got back. Wow, what a game. 

So used to coming away from Villa Park a bit angry or indifferent. Today was amazing. So much faith in the squad. The bench looked a bit drab which is why we need a couple more but the starting 11 were brilliant. 

Gestede being a machine at championship level. Who knew?! And Adama got to run at them! 

I feel like McCormack may still be finding his feet in the squad and looked a bit frustrated at times.

Enough of that though. Just beautiful. More of the same please. 

• Like 1

Â