Jo Cox MP

Davkaus

As alluded to earlier it appears the murderer has a longstanding connection to a variety of 'white nationalist' groups, effectively he seems to at least have a longstanding interest in the kind of ideologies you'd label neo-Nazism. The Torygraph is also reporting his brother as saying he had a history of mental illness.

Really sickening. I suspect that mike is right when he says the politics was a red herring.  But its the current political climate in the west that fosters this particular kind of pathology. I really worry for this summer.

Awful, horrible, senseless murder. Her poor family, it doesn't bear thinking about what they are going through.

mp-killer-psychotherapy-medication-never-spoke-europe-politics/

From the link above the guy had a longstanding history of mental illness. Interesting link on the page to article from a local paper in 2010 where he praises the benefits of the voluntary work he'd been doing as an alternative to his medication & therapy. 

There is also a link on the page to an interview with the eye witness quoted across the media saying he did not hear the murderer shouting "Britain First". 

If as I suspect this is a piece of political opportunism trying to associate this killing with the Brexit campaign, instead of being a tragic case of mental illness, it marks a new low in the campaign. 

Also some quotes from his neighbours saying the usual.. Quiet guy, polite, loner, helped them with gardening etc. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Awful, horrible, senseless murder. Her poor family, it doesn't bear thinking about what they are going through.

mp-killer-psychotherapy-medication-never-spoke-europe-politics/

From the link above the guy had a longstanding history of mental illness. Interesting link on the page to article from a local paper in 2010 where he praises the benefits of the voluntary work he'd been doing as an alternative to his medication & therapy. 

There is also a link on the page to an interview with the eye witness quoted across the media saying he did not hear the murderer shouting "Britain First". 

If as I suspect this is a piece of political opportunism trying to associate this killing with the Brexit campaign, instead of being a tragic case of mental illness, it marks a new low in the campaign. 

Also some quotes from his neighbours saying the usual.. Quiet guy, polite, loner, helped them with gardening etc. 

I'm not saying you're wrong. I am saying I need to read that somewhere other than Breitbart.com before I'm convinced. 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not saying you're wrong. I am saying I need to read that somewhere other than Breitbart.com before I'm convinced. 

The link to the Huddersfield Tablet or whatever the local paper is called is on the page. 

Likewise the link to the eyewitness falsely quoted as the source of the 'Britain First' angle, denying that the killer actually said that. 

The poor woman wasn't even cold before the attempts to link the Brexit debate to a mentally ill murderer began. It's blatant & sickening political exploitation of a tragic death. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Awol said:

The link to the Huddersfield Tablet or whatever the local paper is called is on the page. 

Likewise the link to the eyewitness falsely quoted as the source of the 'Britain First' angle, denying that the killer actually said that. 

The poor woman wasn't even cold before the attempts to link the Brexit debate to a mentally ill murderer began. It's blatant & sickening political exploitation of a tragic death. 

I'm genuinely not trying to argue, nor am I trying to be dense, but I've clicked through to Breitbart now and I can't see a link to the Huddersfield Tablet or anything at all about a witness denying he shouted 'Britain First'. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm genuinely not trying to argue, nor am I trying to be dense, but I've clicked through to Breitbart now and I can't see a link to the Huddersfield Tablet or anything at all about a witness denying he shouted 'Britain First'. 

Link to article where killer discusses his treatment and volunteering

23 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

@Awol maybe it was a different person but an interview was broadcast this morning with a man who said he did hear the killer say it. 

Okay mate, not seen it but not arguing with you.  

It seems original claim for Brit First shouting came from a local Dry Cleaner called Aamir Tahir. He has since confirmed he wasn't at the scene and heard the story second hand.

• Like 1

The local rag article about his volunteering does not say he benefitted more from that than psychotherapy - it very clearly says physiotherapy. However he does appear to have had mental illness as confirmed by his brother.

The main 'Britain First' comments came from a witness called Clarke Rothwell, who runs the cafe nearby and who was interviewed by the Beeb confirming he heard 'Britain First' or 'put Britain First'.

Edited by Chindie

38 minutes ago, Awol said:

Okay mate, not seen it but not arguing with you.  

It seems original claim for Brit First shouting came from a local Dry Cleaner called Aamir Tahir. He has since confirmed he wasn't at the scene and heard the story second hand.

I know, yeah two different people, here is the fella I saw.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36552367

Video at the end of that link.

An eyewitness to a shooting in Birstall, which left Labour MP Jo Cox dead, says he saw a man holding a gun and shouting "Britain first or put Britain first".

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I know, yeah two different people, here is the fella I saw.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36552367

Video at the end of that link.

Thanks, he's categorical. 

Interestingly a sign has gone up in a shop window next to spot she was murdered stating no-one-shouted-britain-first

Please note: I did not tackle the gunman and no one shouted Britain First at any time

Fair to say it is not yet clear exactly what happened. That hasn't stopped Polly Toynbee in the Guardian today stating that the killer's motive was unknown, before squarely blaming the Brexit campaign. Vile woman.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Further, this guy is a terrorist pure and simple.

I don't agree. We're too quick to label as much as possible as 'terrorist'. He may well have had political motivations for his actions, he may well not but I think we ought to be cautious before labelling things as terrorist because it then seems to get lost in the morass of madness that is the field of 'terrorism'.

In a similar way to the bloke in Orlando (obviously different magnitude), people are immediately looking for a clear reason why someone acted when it's quite possible that it's either very complicated or, worse, for no real 'reason'.

On the subject of her death, it's very sad stuff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I don't agree. We're too quick to label as much as possible as 'terrorist'. He may well have had political motivations for his actions, he may well not but I think we ought to be cautious before labelling things as terrorist because it then seems to get lost in the morass of madness that is the field of 'terrorism'.

In a similar way to the bloke in Orlando (obviously different magnitude), people are immediately looking for a clear reason why someone acted when it's quite possible that it's either very complicated or, worse, for no real 'reason'.

On the subject of her death, it's very sad stuff.

I don't disagree.  My point was more that if we use the same criteria we use for other people committing atrocities then he is a terrorist.  You can't call Omar Mateen a terrorist and not this guy IMO. Even Obama came out a few hours afterwards and labelled him as a terrorist.  It's double standards.

Anyway I didn't want to get into an argument on the media. You have to feel for those kids who have lost their mother. It seems that Jo Cox was a pretty decent person standing up for the rights of refugees and the Palestinian people.

Â