Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Gutted if Live has been ditched, was really looking forward to that

It was the easy way to minimise impact on the traffic. Keep fans at the stadium longer and spread out the departure times.

• Like 1

I'm sure many of us will be familiar working for companies in which the center of power is across the atlantic or on the subcontinent. Often the first thing to be done is brutal cuts to the bottom line and this unfortunately is often very short term focused. So to me it looks like someone new has come in and thought "this is an easy cost saving". Our great owners however are very long term focused, just i think on this issuse, the immediate priority is to rein in the cost

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

It just seems a bit Doug-esque penny-pinching.  In the grand scheme of things it is probably a saving one half decent signing for a potential facility that could have been used by Villa fans and the local community for years to come.

It does seem odd because this spending wouldn't come out of FFP anyway.

Obviously they're business men, and won't waste money, but also a reminder that we don't have UAE/Saudi/Qatar state levels of funding 😞

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It just seems a bit Doug-esque penny-pinching.  In the grand scheme of things it is probably a saving one half decent signing for a potential facility that could have been used by Villa fans and the local community for years to come.

Yeah I thought the whole point was we need to find ways of increasing revenue both on matchdays and non-matchdays and seems a bit short-sighted.

I think the Villa Live is just being kicked down the road for now with elements done on the cheap in the new stand and existing buildings.

Not ideal but they may revisit it in a couple of year if we continue to be successful and/or if the economic situation improves and building costs equalise.

I agree though, this was a big part of the transport mitigation plan with people arriving earlier and leaving later.

I suspect the bulk of the station money will come from central Government if we are successful in getting the Euros.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah I thought the whole point was we need to find ways of increasing revenue both on matchdays and non-matchdays and seems a bit short-sighted.

The real dough is the improved corporate facilities in the trinity and new north stand, if/when built. This was going to be a nice match day facility for the great unwashed, therefore less money.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

I'd be more concerned if they just blindly barreled ahead throwing money at things not directly related to smart and sustainable  player recruitment/wages and the actual North stand redevelopment and Trinty/Holte improvements. Get those things sorted, keep increasing revenue, win a trophy or two, and then double back to Villa Live. This news could be the result of Heck's scrutiny. NSWE have brought him in to take a fine tooth comb to our finances.

Edited by maqroll

So, I don't think this is a big thing....  I expect it might go something like:

Refurbish the current site asap planning is granted - move villa staff into new admin accommodation in the summer to start work on North Stand immediately.  Then look at if Villa Live is still needed.  The proposed refurbishment of the current space sounds like it will do most of what Villa Live would.  I think this is a plan to speed delivery...  

This shows commitment and willingness to get on. I doubt it is cost saving.  It will also be interesting to see any plans for the Holte and Doug Ellis.

2 hours ago, villarule123 said:

The new North Stand idea is cursed. How many times now has it been planned but not happened?

This is the third attempt. The first was part of the original plan with the new Trinity in about 2000, the idea was then to continue over the north stand with the corners filled and a new roof. But at the time we were averaging about 30-32,000 so was no demand to do so and then Doug got ill and sold up.

Attempt two was in the heady early Lerner days up to about 2010. Lerners mentioned several times about expanding the ground. Some images of proposed mock-ups have been available to see online. But no application was ever put in and Lerner lost interest.

This is the most serious attempt and hopefully, it will happen, albeit modified and delayed.

9 hours ago, blunther said:

I wonder if it's possible that they know that 50k is basically maxed out and the fan experience of getting in and out will be shit, so they're having one last look around for a site for a new ground before committing to VP.

Please don't mention a new ground. I'm 72 and I want die before that happens 

• Like 1

Obviously the club have been told Witton Station is not being upgraded after today’s announcement from BCC. Therefore they have probably decided to go ahead with the North Stand and upgrade Stumps in the meantime putting Villa Live on the back burner.

This will give them time to judge whether Villa Live is viable in the long run. Maybe the club is looking at subsidising buses to and from the ground as an alternative. All in all a sensible approach. I like Heck’s decision making approach 

Always actually thought they’d better off refurbishing and repurposing the academy building. Doesn’t mean the planned facilities will be any different. As it’s a massive space for a covered fan-zone and may actually be better in terms of street food stands etc. and is more I keeping with the area. Why knock down a perfectly good structure for vanity? 

Wasn’t a fan of the proposed Villa live building anyhow, blocked the new stand off slightly and had a cheap municipal vibe to it in terms of its design. 

IMG_7596.jpeg

IMG_7597.jpeg

• Like 1

Â