Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

7 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Foo fighters are now playing 27th June 2024, guessing no work on the north stand until the following season after that

Concert stages are at the North stand end so any works would still be behind hoardings so wouldn't really impact if deconflicted 

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

Concert stages are at the North stand end so any works would still be behind hoardings so wouldn't really impact if deconflicted 

Pink took almost the entirety of the North Stand as a backstage area, and used the academy building for their crew catering - they also took the entire North Stand car park for their trucks, rigging and vehicles. 

They'll need the space - I don't think we could have concerts and construction at the same time.

10 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think the delays are not in our control.

Look to WMCA and BCC 

We had permission to build w/o Witton station improvements. It wouldn't have been ideal but in theory, there was nothing stopping the club from breaking ground this summer.

If it is now a 2025 start date that is getting a bit close to the 2028 euros. If that is the case then I can't see phase two happening by 2028. 

The last few weeks have been a tad mystifying at Villa, to say the least.

I just hope our shiny new plans don't go the same way as most mid-ranking premier league club ground improvements like Palace, Wolves or Leceister (well until this season)

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The new stand is badly needed. I am a bit perplexed at the way it stalled and zero comms.

Its construction, it happens and the time line all depends on the procurement route, when you say stalled there'll be loads going on, as for zero comms I'm not sure what you want them to say...construction mags might do some sort of press release but I'm not convinced the club will say on twitter who the main contractor is

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its construction, it happens and the time line all depends on the procurement route, when you say stalled there'll be loads going on, as for zero comms I'm not sure what you want them to say...construction mags might do some sort of press release but I'm not convinced the club will say on twitter who the main contractor is

Given the fact we have had no dates mentioned since we got permission in December, the CEO who was heavily involved in the project has left, and now next summer seems to be booked up for events, I think we are entitled to be a tad concerned about what is actually going on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Given the fact we have had no dates mentioned since we got permission in December, the CEO who was heavily involved in the project has left, and now next summer seems to be booked up for events, I think we are entitled to be a tad concerned about what is actually going on.

But why?

What are you expecting the club to do? Tell you what contract the project is being based on, at what stage the documents were at when they got planning permission, what the tender period is, how many queries were raised, how many prices were returned, how the negotiations went and who they appointed?

Just like every other construction project in the country you are not going to be told that

And none of that means that the project is late, for all we know there was a load of float in the programme, the quality of the tenders were really poor so they're taking time to nail the contract sum... Completely normal

At best a construction publication might release who the main contractor is or the main contractor might do a press release but they didn't do that for the inner city academy project, they'll then maybe do a ground breaking ceremony or a topping out ceremony but that will depend on the contractor

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

But why?

What are you expecting the club to do? Tell you what contract the project is being based on, at what stage the documents were at when they got planning permission, what the tender period is, how many queries were raised, how many prices were returned, how the negotiations went and who they appointed?

Just like every other construction project in the country you are not going to be told that

And none of that means that the project is late, for all we know there was a load of float in the programme, the quality of the tenders were really poor so they're taking time to nail the contract sum... Completely normal

At best a construction publication might release who the main contractor is or the main contractor might do a press release but they didn't do that for the inner city academy project, they'll then maybe do a ground breaking ceremony or a topping out ceremony but that will depend on the contractor

When they got permission the initial quote was for a summer start date. Then season tickets for 23-24 went for sale for the North Stand so obviously delayed, but no official update, other than the Birmingham Mail article which confirmed what was obvious. And now they seem to be booking events for next summer which we assumed would be the new start date once the euro bid was confirmed in the summer and Witton Station gets the go-ahead.

With the change of CEO it just seems a slightly confusing picture. It would be a big disappointment if we end up faffing about our lose our host city status for the euros. I just want to see that they are committed to the project, as plenty of clubs have announced stadium redevelopment, only for sweet fa to happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

When they got permission the initial quote was for a summer start date. Then season tickets for 23-24 went for sale for the North Stand so obviously delayed, but no official update, other than the Birmingham Mail article which confirmed what was obvious. And now they seem to be booking events for next summer which we assumed would be the new start date once the euro bid was confirmed in the summer and Witton Station gets the go-ahead.

With the change of CEO it just seems a slightly confusing picture. It would be a big disappointment if we end up faffing about our lose our host city status for the euros. I just want to see that they are committed to the project, as plenty of clubs have announced stadium redevelopment, only for sweet fa to happen.

I would think the changing of ceo would have very little impact, the club will have passed the project on to a 3rd party project management company who would be managing it on the clubs behalf

Heck might slow it down slightly yo have a good look at it but that PM company would tell him if he was too slow and risked delay, they'd also be telling him that he's an absolute mad man if he's looking to change anything, firstly he's not qualified to do so that's what the club hired the PM and design team for and secondly it would have to go back in to planning permission

If I had to guess I would say that the tender prices returned have come in over the original cost plan because that cost plan was based on price indexes and KPIs that can't properly capture post corona and Ukraine war construction costs and theyre currently doing a value engineering exercise to get the costs down before appointing a main contractor

I would guess that because that's completely normal

They will also have had programmes returned with the bids which allows them to make the foo fighters booking, they'll have allowed for it, I once looked at the Wolverhampton civic expansion project and we had to let them host the darts each year even though it was a building site , stuff like that is doable

We won't hear a thing until the main contractor is appointed and then after that it will be leaks about it being over budget (despite the project having contingencies) and behind programme (despite the programme having float built in) that's why they don't tend to say much because from the outside completely normal stuff always looks really bad

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Why would heck slow it down? Where has this narrative come 

The club are a classy outfit who keep comms to a minimum. However, lack of comms can result in speculation and rumours filling that void.

The stand was announced in 2022 with construction to start at the end of the season. It hasn't.  Club has lined up concerts for June 2024 which is odd, if as we have speculated, construction of a new stand is meant to be starting a year later than planned. No comms equals speculation and rumour (as with the crest situation).

Edited by Captain_Townsend

I wonder if it's possible that they know that 50k is basically maxed out and the fan experience of getting in and out will be shit, so they're having one last look around for a site for a new ground before committing to VP.

2 minutes ago, blunther said:

I wonder if it's possible that they know that 50k is basically maxed out and the fan experience of getting in and out will be shit, so they're having one last look around for a site for a new ground before committing to VP.

One can but hope ! A true multi use state of the art unique stadium would be the dream , but that’s it, a dream sadly imo.  

12 minutes ago, blunther said:

I'm fairly certain that ideally the'd want to build a new stadium rather than try to fix VP in installments. It just makes more sense in every way apart from nostalgia and history (both important mind) If this delay has anything to do with this is anyone's guess.

I'd be disappointed it we left our home.  Villa Park is still one is the best stadiums in the country, and one of very few that actually look good.  Surely we can retrofit a modern interior, with expansion to the outside to accommodate a capacity that future proofs us and a service that matches our ambitions. 

There's loads of land behind the north stand to use for multi use purposes, as shown by the villa Live design, which still left a fair bit of space free. 

It would be easier and cheaper to buy a row of houses next to villa Park at the moment, than to find a new site that itself would need us to buy up even more properties and businesses to even get started.  This is the only way to expand beyond 50k... but it's cheaper than binning it off and we won't end up with a soulless identikit bowl. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Why would heck slow it down? Where has this narrative come from. 

Because he might want to read the £200m odd contract before he ultimately signs it off...

But like I said the PM team will be able to tell him how long he's got to get his head around the project without delaying it, there's boring construction contract ways round it like issuing a letter of intent, you can slow it down without resulting in delay and also as I've said previously that's if heck even cares which often isn't the case from my experience, fair few clients completely trust their PM

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The problem Villa Park will always have is the transport, and it's not within the club's hands to fix that.

True - but the planning permission for this stand has been improved with the transport situation "as is" - other than the experience of fans attending, there's no transport reason for them not to go ahead.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it start in July 2024.

• Like 1

Â