Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

55 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I'm not against Little at all and I'm pleased to an extent he is here. Loved his time as a manager, don't know his time as a player. Willing to see how this plays out. However I don't ascribe to the notion that because he is/was one of us he will necessarily make the right choice. He may do. I'll reiterate I'm open about it all and not making judgements just challenging people's assumptions, that's all. 

And to your final point I don't know football administration inside enough at that level to be able to comment. But I hope the makeup of the supposed football board will finally sort us out, Shame it's 8/9 years too late. 

I hope the appointments will sort us out. Was wondering though if you, or anyone, could think of a better person to be on the board than Little? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Utter bollocks isn't it mole?

Pearson is in the running, and therefore has relevant experience. That much is obvious. But for him to be the supposed favourite, I'd expect much more than what he's actually achieved.

Steve Bruce has achieved promotion many times, has experience of lower leagues and has rebuilt a side which sipped into the Championship. He's not rated as highly as Pearson, and why? Because he hasn't strangled anyone (therefore isn't the 'ard bastard' that we apparently need) and because his team that he last managed aren't now challenging for the league title.

Let's go for Nigel Adkins. He built a team, got it promoted and it's now doing much better without him. Why not him? Because he's not flavour of the month like Pearson.

Precisely.

This is purely speculation on my part but I reckon a key part of the apparent appeal of Pearson to the board is that he comes across as tough therefore will "sort out" our squad full of lazy rocket polishers. And of course, he's also flavour of the month. Once again, I'm just speculating but this new board come across to me as very accomplished but also wedded to outdated ways of thinking.

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

Pearson bored the life out of me in his interviews last year.

I do not want him and I don't like him. Bet Grealish/Adama will be off and Alan Hutton made captain.

Zzzzzzzzzzz.

You can't say Leicester football was crap to watch though they were a good side to watch under him

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Precisely.

This is purely speculation on my part but I reckon a key part of the apparent appeal of Pearson to the board is that he comes across as tough therefore will "sort out" our squad full of lazy rocket polishers. And of course, he's also flavour of the month. Once again, I'm just speculating but this new board come across to me as very accomplished but also wedded to outdated ways of thinking.

Maybe that's why Bevington was brought in, but you can still be innovative and of the older generation. But they could be looking to the manager for modernity in how we run our football side. 

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

What a perverse inverse snobbery it is to spit out 'experience' as if it is a dirty word ! And as for this childish use of the term 'Pashun'.about time it was given the boot.

Perverse inverse snobbery - great line! 

But no, the "two second interview" laid down the criteria that managerial search will be based upon, so it's a valid reference point. 

I'm glad too that your ears were finetuned enough to hear me 'spit' out experience, I wasn't sure I had sufficiently emphasised my disdain for it. In seriousness though, there is nothing wrong with considering experience to be a beneficial attribute. Rather the context was in regard to this simplistic buzz-term mentality. Like when 'Premier League experience' was constantly rolled out during the summer window. So back to my initial point, I don't agree with the way a large percentage of possible candidates won't qualify due to not being British or lack Championship experience. As a result we are left with a poor, limited field of candidates. In my opinion, of course. 

• Like 2

To be fair to Pearson he has broke some quite impressive records with long winning and unbeaten runs:-

A club record 23 match unbeaten run in the league between 1 November 2008 and 7 Match 2009@ Leicester City.

Leicester completed a full calendar year of being undefeated at home before a 2–1 defeat against Preston North End on 26 September 2009.

Breaking a 66-year-old record with 14 consecutive away games without defeat@ Hull City 2010.

Club record win for consecutive league victories, winning 9 games between 21 December 2013 – 1 February 2014@Leicester.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But always lurking behind the scenes are the well known controversial incidents and at our tinder box of a club such incidents will be even more magnified,  which is why I have such reservations.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Eddie Howe - 2 seasons in championship experience, no premier league experience

Slavisa Jokanovic - 0 championship experience, 0 premier league experience

Alex Neil - 0 championship experience, 0 premier league experience

Nigel Pearson - some championship experience, 0 premier league experience

Sean Dyche - 3 seasons of championship experience, 0 premier league experience

Harry Redknapp - Bunch of experience in championship and premier league, but only just managed to get money club QPR promoted through the championship - took QPR down  again too

Looks like he has 6 years experience in the Championship, mix of Leicester and Hull. I am not familiar with his time at Hull, makes me think it wasn't spectacular. 

The issue with win ratio as the main gauge is strong team in weaker league gives false positives, weak team in strong league gives a lower value. Lower table prem managers will have lower ratios than high table championship. 

5 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

Looks like he has 6 years experience in the Championship, mix of Leicester and Hull. I am not familiar with his time at Hull, makes me think it wasn't spectacular. 

The issue with win ratio as the main gauge is strong team in weaker league gives false positives, weak team in strong league gives a lower value. Lower table prem managers will have lower ratios than high table championship. 

That is more than I thought (hence I wrote some). Could not be bothered to read his wiki through. 

So it took him 3 seasons to get promoted with Leicester in his second stint, joining them on the same season that  Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha  the multi billionaire joined Leicester. 

Again, if Pearson joins I will back him, but I do not expect great things from him, as the reason Leicester are so good is because of their great signings and if rumors are to be believed, they are not Pearson's doings, as there were other people in charge of recruitment.

4 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

That is more than I thought (hence I wrote some). Could not be bothered to read his wiki through. 

So it took him 3 seasons to get promoted with Leicester in his second stint, joining them on the same season that  Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha  the multi billionaire joined Leicester. 

Again, if Pearson joins I will back him, but I do not expect great things from him, as the reason Leicester are so good is because of their great signings and if rumors are to be believed, they are not Pearson's doings, as there were other people in charge of recruitment.

Been reading some articles about him. His Hull days were when they got relegated and he was on a tight budget, stopped their drop and steadied them. He left them the following season when they were around the playoff positions after Leicester came back for him. Seems like he has steadied a falling brick of a club and promoted another. 

It might even be his work that got Hull in a position to be promoted........ 

9 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

Been reading some articles about him. His Hull days were when they got relegated and he was on a tight budget, stopped their drop and steadied them. He left them the following season when they were around the playoff positions after Leicester came back for him. Seems like he has steadied a falling brick of a club and promoted another. 

It might even be his work that got Hull in a position to be promoted........ 

It's quite difficult to say, articles seem to be limited on his time there, but when Hull were relegated they did not loose any significant players, the best possibly Hesselink. their spending was net £1.2m signing 9 players in the process. But it is difficult to say, as I was unable to find many articles about his time there. I am just not very convinced by him and feel his off field antics are the last thing we need.

7 minutes ago, SirSteveUK said:

One very bad run ?? Top half form all season???

They got:

2 pts in Aug

6 pts in Sept

1 pt in Oct

1 pt in Nov

3 pts in Dec

4 pts in Jan

1 pt in Feb

1 pt in Ma

12 pts in Apr

9 pts in May

19 points going into April is almost as bad as us :o

Amazing finish thou

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Interesting reading this thread and debate around various managers. I think we need to remember any manager we get with experience is going to come with some baggage that we don't like. If they didn't we would have no chance of getting them. The only way they don't come with the baggage is if we go for someone with very little experience again and that is not what we need for me.

All we can do as supporters is try to be balanced. There is nothing to be gained from solely focusing on the new managers negatives and there is also no point kidding ourselves by focusing on the new managers positives.

There are managers I'd prefer over others, Moyes in particular, but whoever the manager is will get my full backing. The job is going to be tough enough as it is for whoever it is without us as fans not behind him or ready to pounce at the first whiff of a poor run.

I've been wary as a supporter of starting off on the wrong foot with a new manager by being negative about the appointment from the get go. I did it with Houllier and looking back it clouded my judgement the whole time he was here. I haven't fallen into that trap again and I'd strongly advise others not to.

That's spot on. I don't really have an opinion on who is next manager, well that's not strictly true, but there's no one I can say, yes that's the man I want in charge! Most my opinions of the candidates are negative ones.

Of course there needs to be knowledge, leadership and motivational skills but a football manager's success is so much reliant on luck to do with the right man, right time, right club, It just needs to all click. Probably all experienced highly rated managers have failed at one or more clubs. Anyone one of these candidates could be the right man at the right time for us, so I'll just wait and support the new manager when he arrives. Whoever it is has got enough to deal with without fans questioning him from the start.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicken Field said:

It's quite difficult to say, articles seem to be limited on his time there, but when Hull were relegated they did not loose any significant players, the best possibly Hesselink. their spending was net £1.2m signing 9 players in the process. But it is difficult to say, as I was unable to find many articles about his time there. I am just not very convinced by him and feel his off field antics are the last thing we need.

I am not convinced either but he does have an impact at places. Unbeaten record away run with Hull, which could just be lots of draws but it's a start. I think Hull were under an embargo at that point to make up £40m in losses or something but he got a load of frees and loans in. 

Think his son had the worse off field antics and that's ultimately what cost his job, not his record. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SirSteveUK said:

One very bad run ?? Top half form all season???

They got:

2 pts in Aug

6 pts in Sept

1 pt in Oct

1 pt in Nov

3 pts in Dec

4 pts in Jan

1 pt in Feb

1 pt in Ma

12 pts in Apr

9 pts in May

QED

2 hours ago, GeneralJazzman said:

I hope the appointments will sort us out. Was wondering though if you, or anyone, could think of a better person to be on the board than Little? 

Graham Taylor 

• Like 1