Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you make a valid point.

i notice with some folk we are discussing the sunroof when the chassis is in need of repair.

too many purist comments and not enough pragmatist offerings.

'purist comments'

'pragmatic offerings'

With due respect, what on earth are you on about?

People have said they don't want Pulis, because he takes negative football to a whole new level. Just because people don't want Pulis doesn't mean they expect Guardiola. And it also doesn't mean that people won't accept another manager who is fairly defensive.

Out of the names banded about, Hughton is fairly defensive and people haven't been against him. Rowett, the same. I'd just at Allardyce right now and he isn't known for free flowing football.

It's like Sharky says, it's about finding a balance. You can't tar everyone with the same brush that they aren't 'pragmatic' who whatever other bollocks because they don't want Pulis.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

With Pulis having a year left on his contract at WBA I'm not sure why he is being discussed.

Seems a bit unlikely that he'll leave them to join a local rival in total shambles playing in a league below.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

'purist comments'

'pragmatic offerings'

With due respect, what on earth are you on about?

People have said they don't want Pulis, because he takes negative football to a whole new level. Just because people don't want Pulis doesn't mean they expect Guardiola. And it also doesn't mean that people won't accept another manager who is fairly defensive.

Out of the names banded about, Hughton is fairly defensive and people haven't been against him. Rowett, the same. I'd just at Allardyce right now and he isn't known for free flowing football.

It's like Sharky says, it's about finding a balance. You can't tar everyone with the same brush that they aren't 'pragmatic' who whatever other bollocks because they don't want Pulis.

You know exactly what i am on about.....because you went on to explain it.

of course its about finding a balance.....but i think you will find we are saying we would prefer Pulis and his style ....to this what is being served up.

its the worst attempt at defensive football i have ever seen in over 50 years watching them.

as for scoring, hypothetically we might not have scored in 38 games and got 38 points

as a result...which might have kept us up.

that is the focus of how important defensive work is.....i think that aspect of our game has been overlooked in the last 5 years.....our home record alone must be one of the worst in history.

Back to Pulis:

I just don't happen to be as anti pulis as you are.....but hey who cares he won't be our manager ....plus or minus.

• Like 1

I think I'd actually rather have a really crap manager than Pulis. At least with the crap manager they'd probably be gone within 9-12 months but with Pulis there's the fear that he's stick around for years. Yeah he gets results up to a point but it's just not worth it for his brand of "football". Nothing wrong with direct managers but he's in a league of his own.

Not sure if Pulis would do that well in the championship. He's great for clubs who just want to stay in the league but I don't see his negative tactics working for a side looking to compete for promotion.

albion needed someone like him....they would win 4-0 one week an lose 4-0 the next there is no future in that, but a section of their fans always demanded attractive football ( at all costs) its fantasy.....nice but tricky to get.

He has come in and stabilised Albion and added a defensive edge ...something that needed doing years ago for them.

good manager imo.

My anti-Pulis position had nothing to do with his football or their results, as boring as shit as it is, but rather the off field stuff...

Pulis would have been brilliant probably even loved in 1960s Italian football but he just doesnt say progress. Also im all for violence against our players but naked headbutts is a difference story :P

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I think I'd actually rather have a really crap manager than Pulis. At least with the crap manager they'd probably be gone within 9-12 months but with Pulis there's the fear that he's stick around for years. Yeah he gets results up to a point but it's just not worth it for his brand of "football". Nothing wrong with direct managers but he's in a league of his own.

Like Pearson:)

5 minutes ago, mwj said:

My anti-Pulis position had nothing to do with his football or their results, as boring as shit as it is, but rather the off field stuff...

Fine and your opinion is accepted.....but its not a popularity parade.....we are appraising the VALUE of football managers.

If what I think your saying......I could count the amount of football managers and players I LIKE on one hand.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I hope our fate is sealed today....

.....so we can get on with the REAL job of re building the football team.

Its horrible that its come to this. I agree entirely

43 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I think I'd actually rather have a really crap manager than Pulis. 

Many fans, including myself think that is the same thing, and i think thats the reason many don't want him. I'm really not sure its simply down to his style (i personally think Jose plays rubbish football but there is no doubting his qualities) i just don't think that what he brings to a football club justifies the atrocious football. 

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

There's a balance though.  Pulis tilts that balance a bit too far towards rather getting my leg stuck in a lawnmower than watching football.  I think there are managers who can do what we want whilst being palatable.

I don't doubt your word.

......Lets find one then.:)

I think we have gone past style, just my opinion.

If we were regularly finishing mid-table with a dour style of football, I would whole heartedly agree.

We are just presiding over one of the worst runs in the history of the football club.....The signs( body language/attitude/desire/will) from the players is grim.

I think the first port of call is to get back to putting up a fight and securing a result of any description.

.....and then progressing from there.

PS its the results that have drove the fans away, before the turgid football.The home record alone is indescribable.

Edited by TRO

Brian Little spoke at the supporters clubs chairman's meeting today.  He said that they have a list of managers that they are looking at but that they had not spoken to any of them yet.

Can I be the first to say WTF!

It seems the rumors of waiting tor relegation to be confirmed are off the mark.  What the hell they think they are playing at though I can't imagine.  If they really haven't approached anyone yet then they are making the same mistakes as the last lot, what possible advantage can there be in not moving quickly.

Yes at the moment I'm looking forward to it. How many would you interview if you were the board? A great many, or whittle it down to a select few? 

There must be up to 10 names that have been consistently mentioned now. I think there will be some movement this week. 

A work college of mine asked me who I'd keep from the Villa team for next season (starters) I could only think of:

Ayew

Grealish 

Amavi

Gana

Would mean 7 new first teamers.

Would you add anyone to that list from our existing players ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

A work college of mine asked me who I'd keep from the Villa team for next season (starters) I could only think of:

Ayew

Grealish 

Amavi

Gana

Would mean 7 new first teamers.

Would you add anyone to that list from our existing players ?

Maybe Okore.