Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I'm still of the mindset that a single type of protest is likely to be more 'successful' than constant chopping and changing, assuming you gauge success on take up rather than the degree to which your aims are achieved.

You are right. But the circumstances surrounding the change in protests are relatively simple.

OTDO74 ended when we postponed Tottenham. Banners became the obvious choice given what went on that day. Interestingly we postponed that so late that surely most people didn't get the message, yet only about 100 people walked out. So yeah, it was done regardless.

BOO74 was then the obvious choice. But we simply couldn't afford to do that again within a week neither did we expect it to have such an impact beforehand. Nor did we get the help at the ground on the day to justify doing it again. 

That's it really. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

One thing I'd add DDID, is that the press release for Seats on 7 was very long. When it simply could have explained the plan in 2 or 3 lines, it seemed to go on a bit.

Also, shame about the spelling mistake on the Seats on 7 flyers ;)

Fair point. Taken. 

15 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You are right. But the circumstances surrounding the change in protests are relatively simple.

OTDO74 ended when we postponed Tottenham. Banners became the obvious choice given what went on that day. Interestingly we postponed that so late that surely most people didn't get the message, yet only about 100 people walked out. So yeah, it was done regardless.

BOO74 was then the obvious choice. But we simply couldn't afford to do that again within a week neither did we expect it to have such an impact beforehand. Nor did we get the help at the ground on the day to justify doing it again. 

That's it really. 

I mentioned last week you may benefit from a consistent approach and was told the reason you wouldn't do that was the media wouldn't pay attention if you didn't switch things up so you had to keep moving the goal post.

I'd reiterate that, for this to get traction en masse, you need to have a consistent approach that builds momentum and makes a routine out of something. People aren't going to spend to assist this, not in great number, so it needs to be something that takes no effort. You also want visual impact. The Out the Door protest was probably the best of the scenarios offered so far for those criteria and there's no reason you can't return to that - you'll need to kick-start it, as effectively you're starting over and you've got to combat the feeling that you've stumbled, but that's the one to date to go with IMO. And do it every week. Repetition begets repetition, the crowd will do half the job for you if you can gain traction. Frankly you may also be helped (or hindered, if we're honest) by the state of the team, people won't mind leaving early if the team is still being spanked, although you also get the impression then that it is less about protest and more just disgust at the performance.

By constantly changing, you only confuse people, no matter how much you advertise and use media to get it out there. Pick something, keep doing it. 

Again, I have to be honest and say I'm not a supporter of the protest (I advocate a full boycott as that's the only thing with any material impact that can be done), so take everything I've said with a pinch of salt.

• Like 3

You were spun! Haha. No seriously, we did honestly believe that too but have been proven wrong. Everything I said above also stands up. 

We don't feel like we've stumbled. No sad faces here. We're not like Mr Lerner, waving the white flag when things don't go our way. We're still incredibly motivated. 

When I say the feeling you've stumbled I mean that feeling within the crowd you're trying to attract - I.e. you need to fight the feeling that by going back to the initial protest that you've admittedly made a mistake which could hamper the faith in the ability of the priotest.

I wasn't spun for a moment, incidentally :). It's obvious it's a poor move.

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

When I say the feeling you've stumbled I mean that feeling within the crowd you're trying to attract - I.e. you need to fight the feeling that by going back to the initial protest that you've admittedly made a mistake which could hamper the faith in the ability of the priotest.

I wasn't spun for a moment, incidentally :). It's obvious it's a poor move.

People are accustomed to us making "mistakes"! I guess the football analogy works well here, what do people expect of the players, the owner? To pick themselves up and keep going. Keep fighting. We're up for that. 

I would agree it was a poor move if it wasn't forced upon us. Still got a mench on MOTD. We're ready to move on. 

On 3/28/2016 at 20:41, Woodytom said:

I'm sorry but that's just bollocks imo.

Like banners are the only way to let your feelings known.

I think that is a bit Hard Woody

These guys are doing their best......They are first and foremost supporters giving up their free time for the love of the club, in an effort to see better times. whether we agree on the detail is irrelevant to some degree.....I happen to believe they have been successful in bringing it to more peoples attention outside of a Villa Fans radar. We will all benefit from their efforts.

They may have varying skills from their working backgrounds, but they are not " Experts" in protest activities.

Please, give them a break.

Ps Even Nigel Kennedy on "Sunday Brunch" added his pennyworth.....every bit helps.

• Like 3

Kind of knew this one wouldn't work.

Like I said last week, this protest lacked the ability of people to just "join in".

I really think the organisers need to stick to one protest for a few weeks. The momentum is what you need.

People see the banners or the walkout and think " that was great, I'll join in with that next week". And then next week it doesn't happen.

Good effort as always, but I think the choice of protest yesterday was always destined to fail.

19 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Right fellas - banner ideas. 4/5 words max, along the AVPG agenda lines.

Not saying we're deffo doing banners again, just looking for some brainstorming. 

This is probably a bit rubbish but how about something like-

Relegated - at what price, Randy?

(I'll have another think over Sunday dinner ;))

edit - or maybe just "so are we for sale then?"

Edited by Shropshire Lad

18 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

This is probably a bit rubbish but how about something like-

Relegated - at what price, Randy?

(I'll have another think over Sunday dinner ;))

That's the kind of thing we're looking for. Even when they're not perfect they can be brainstormed. I like the "At what price?" idea. 

If we were to do banners again, for example, we'd probably look to put something to a vote and provide them again on match day. We've honestly not decided that yet though so please take me with a pinch of salt!

My thoughts are - we (as in the many) have asked a question. It has remained unanswered. We should be pushing for answers. We should be pushing Lerner to talk rather than hiding behind the board. We feel the fans have earned that. Regardless what some might think, it is our belief that he as owner remains in ultimate control. Hollis can't sell the club for him, Bernstein won't have keys to the vault. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

I'm realising how hard it is to brainstorm on a messageboard, particularly in this thread which is sometimes just a little bit toxic.

1. New Board

But Same Owner

Same Old Problem

2.  Randy Please Speak To Us

Just Once This Season

And **** off anyone who wants to shoot those down - they're just ideas thrown into a brainstorm and you don't shoot ideas down in a brainstorm.

38 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That's the kind of thing we're looking for. Even when they're not perfect they can be brainstormed. I like the "At what price?" idea. 

Yeah, I was trying to have a sort of double meaning with "at what price?", wasn't sure how clear that reads.

I keep coming back to the idea that the banner should be a question, rather than a statement like "Randy Lerner-AWOL" or whatever, just so it highlights that communication from Lerner is non existent.

A sort of "Penny for your thoughts Randy?" kind of question.

• Like 1

I love the idea of boycotting a match. Would be the most effective way! with our last home game being against Newcastle and them in a  similar position as us, we could team up and boycott the game together. Wishful dreaming, but would be effective :)

Aside from the "**** off" yeah I agree, flaming is a no-no. 

I like (hate) the absentee owner angle, it really sticks in my craw that he won't show his face at VP anymore, even behind the scenes. Why must all of our board meetings take place in the US? How arrogant is the man? I had an idea for a large banner which skirts the "offensive" line actually that you might see at Southampton. If I can get it past planning stage! Paid for out my own cash, FYI. Definitely!

New Board - Same Owner is interesting too. As is the idea of using a quote of we can boil one down. 

Â