Albums of the Year 2015

blandy

3 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Julia Holter - Have You in my Wilderness

Reminds me of Sarah Cracknell's Red Kite album, which was pretty good, too. I hadn't head Julia Holter before. I like it. ta.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Please do. I'm trying to listen to all the recommendations.

Couple of extras for you then of some lesser known bands, mainly American Hipster stuff but each to their own I suppose :D

Other Lives - Rituals

Froth - Patterns

Hanni El Khatib - Head in the Dirt

Leon Bridges - Coming Home

Definitely missed a few off the list, need to get on my iTunes player when I get home.  Thursday is music and beer night afterall

EDIT - This one is Dec 2014, but a quality album if your into psychedelic rock so i'm going to sneak it in " King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Im in your mind"

Edited by simont123
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Carly Rae Jepsen's 'E•MO•TION' is my album of the year and possibly of the century so far. I also like Sophie's 'Product' and hopefully it's a prelude to something really good when he releases his proper debut. Young Thug released some good stuff, but I preferred making playlists from his leak rather than his actual mixtapes, although 'Barter6' was pretty good. Other than those nothing else really springs to mind, most new music sounds pretty uninspired to me and leaves me feeling cold, I only really listen to stuff these days out of curiosity, research and hope. Maybe next year something will actually happen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Carly Rae Jepsen's 'E•MO•TION' is my album of the year and possibly of the century so far.....most new music sounds pretty uninspired to me

I just had a listen on the youtube to some of that album and, er, how can I put this...it sounds pretty uninspired. Very well made, but sort of lacking in inspiration. I think I'm not the demographic for it, mind. Too old. I think the young peoples are rebelling by being utterly conformist and mainstream in response to the old people being non-conformist :).

Some old music from some familiar names but these are some new to me pieces I've enjoyed this year.

Morton Feldman - 'For Bunita Marcus'

Hanne Darboven - 'Requiem' / 'Opus 17a'

Christian Marclay - 'Footsteps'

Aaron Dilloway - 'Hiss Nausea'

Bernard Heidsieck - 'Poème-partition X'

Nate Young - 'Regression' series

Raoul Hausmann - 'Poèmes Phonétiques Complètes'

I've probably liked a few reissues as well.

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, useless said:

Maybe as an antidote to a lot of the banality these days in so called alternative music, I've been listening to a lot of stuff that might be called 'chart music' or whatever, although in most cases it's just the odd single here and there. But Carly Rae's album just gives me a rare chance to hear an whole album's worth of the pop music that I've come to like recently. 1989, True Romance and Level 3 have offered similar in recent years but I enjoy 'E•MO•TION' even more so than those. Hilary Duff's put out a pop LP this year, and I see that that's in a lot of people's end of year lists but I personally can't get into that one.

I turned my back completely on alternative music almost a decade ago because it got utterly appalling. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

Maybe as an antidote to a lot of the banality these days in so called alternative music, I've been listening to a lot of stuff that might be called 'chart music' or whatever, although in most cases it's just the odd single here and there. But Carly Rae's album just gives me a rare chance to hear an whole album's worth of the pop music that I've come to like recently. 1989, True Romance and Level 3 have offered similar in recent years but I enjoy 'E•MO•TION' even more so than those. Hilary Duff's put out a pop LP this year, and I see that that's in a lot of people's end of year lists but I personally can't get into that one.

I once had a summer job where I had to do removals and the like, and I had a partner/superior who drove the van. Just the two of us, him and me. He was very fond of listening to pop music by Lindsay Lohan and Hilary Duff (played very loud), with the windows rolled down, while wolf-whistling at female pedestrians. It was mortifying

• Like 2

On 15 December 2015 at 21:20, mjmooney said:

3. Snarky Puppy - Sylva

My brother (whose music taste is normally truly dreadful) has been trying to persuade me that they are worth a listen for ages. I've resisted on the basis that any recommendation from him will be utter pants. 

This for me, utterly brilliant.

Everything Everything, Get To Heaven

Get_to_Heaven_Everything_Everything.jpg

Had the misfortune of seeing these at reading festival before catfish, I even walked away from royal blood early too, they are possibly the worst band I've ever seen in my life, they drew a huge crowd though, I really don't get it, **** matching outfits on stage too

Supporting foals on tour next year

3. Snarky Puppy - Sylva

My brother (whose music taste is normally truly dreadful) has been trying to persuade me that they are worth a listen for ages. I've resisted on the basis that any recommendation from him will be utter pants. 

They are basically fusion jazz. Nearest comparison would be someone like Weather Report or late Miles Davis - although Sylva is a bit different to their other albums, as they are working with a orchestra, making it a bit more classical/'soundtrack-y'.